.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Sergeant

Psientist is on a distinguished road
Default Playability Wishlist

Some items that would seriously increase playability, IMO:

1. "shirts vs skins" or "Red vs. blue" tagging via hotkey / shortcut key in the battle screen / tactical view: when a battle descends into melee, or summons start appearing, or mages start casting "control", "charm", and "enslave mind", it gets really hard to tell which units belong to which nation in battle. It would really help to be able to quickly color code or otherwise mark such units in battle... or at least, in the unit view screen.

2. Scripted Spell Redundancy Detection: When mages are in a battle and start casting battlefield-wide spells like "mass protection", the same expensive spell can get cast over and over and over by spellcaster AI. If the spell isn't stackable - it seems most aren't - it's just a waste and an irritation, and the only alternative is scripting micromanagement. It would be nice if once a nonstackable spell is cast and still in effect, it would not get recast. Spells like "fog warriors" which can get cancelled at the unit level might be allowed to be recast without restriction.

3. UNIT SORTING!!!!! When you are assigning units to commanders, and there are LOTS of different types of units, it gets REALLY LABORIOUS and painful to peck-and-hunt similar units to assign to groups. If only the unassigned units at the top of the screen would auto-sort so that similar units are grouped next to each other, it would help out immensely!

Maybe some of these things are implementable for the next patch?!?!?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Playability Wishlist

3. I know this is an issue. What you can do is if you find a particular unit type that you want to gather into a group, double click on that unit. All the units of the same type in that single line of units will be highlighted.

Jazzepi
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

1. Would be handy. Maybe you could make the grids blue/red in the wireframe view?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I also think 1 would be nice.
2 I think is very important. I have seen many battles lost due to this irritating AI quirk.
3 is nice though double click a unit will choose all of the same type so this helps some.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

1 should be doable. The codebase for red higlights for units' graphics exists already. It's seen when you hover your mouse over a unit in some screens, like the army selection. Adding a key that highlights all friendly units when a key is pressed might be easy to do.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:58 AM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jazzepi said:
3. I know this is an issue. What you can do is if you find a particular unit type that you want to gather into a group, double click on that unit. All the units of the same type in that single line of units will be highlighted.

Jazzepi
Unfortunately this sometimes doesn't work if there are hundreds of units there. Think freespawn races.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM

Major General

Quote:
Loren said:
Quote:
Jazzepi said:

Jazzepi
Unfortunately this sometimes doesn't work if there are hundreds of units there. Think freespawn races.
I actually haven't ever noticed this fail even with hundreds of units. I've played LA Ermor, and LA R'yleh in quite a few multiplayer games.

Jazzepi
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

I have had to do a weird "triple-click" when I have both many pooled units and also around a hundred commanders all with armies in the provinces. A double-click just leaves the unit hilited and also hilites the commanders and armies where the unit can be placed. But the "triple-click" selects all the units of the same type from the pool. Linux, windowed, if that matters.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Jazzepi, I'm not sure if it is what Loren meant, but, when you have a huge number of units in a province some units just get hidden because it can't show that many. You can't double click them if you can't see them.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM

Major General

Quote:
Shovah32 said:
Jazzepi, I'm not sure if it is what Loren meant, but, when you have a huge number of units in a province some units just get hidden because it can't show that many. You can't double click them if you can't see them.
Ah, okay.

I have had issues when casting gift of reason with the fact that too many units and they won't be displayed on the scroll list.

Jazzepi