Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: could it be possible to display double-byte characters?

No - find out from experience of combat, like normal troops do.

We don't tend to give any details out, especially specific numbers, for many reasons. For one thing, they are subject to change, and for another it gets us into detailed circular arguments with the rivet-counter a-retentive types.

The SP type games are not "chess type" games with guaranteed pre-ordained results from given actions, so everything is subjected to a bit of randomness. It's a "Monte Carlo" type simulation. That was how SSI designed them, and how we have continued. Real life is somewhat random, unlike chess or whatever. Real life is more of a roulette game really. perhaps the best approximation of most of the code routines is a pinball type affair. Sometimes a flipper can be triggered that rebounds the code down an unusual branch of the sprawling tree of routines. It is not a deterministic set of tables in any manner of speaking. There are "dice rolls" all throughout.

So for whatever data point you are wanting to examine, then the real way to find out what happens is to set up an exactly repeatable test scenario and then repeat that test a statistically significant number of times. Probably at least 100 iterations.

Even if you had the source code to hand, that would really be the best way to exactly figure out what happens !.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
No - find out from experience of combat, like normal troops do.

We don't tend to give any details out, especially specific numbers, for many reasons. For one thing, they are subject to change, and for another it gets us into detailed circular arguments with the rivet-counter a-retentive types.

The SP type games are not "chess type" games with guaranteed pre-ordained results from given actions, so everything is subjected to a bit of randomness. It's a "Monte Carlo" type simulation. That was how SSI designed them, and how we have continued. Real life is somewhat random, unlike chess or whatever. Real life is more of a roulette game really. perhaps the best approximation of most of the code routines is a pinball type affair. Sometimes a flipper can be triggered that rebounds the code down an unusual branch of the sprawling tree of routines. It is not a deterministic set of tables in any manner of speaking. There are "dice rolls" all throughout.

So for whatever data point you are wanting to examine, then the real way to find out what happens is to set up an exactly repeatable test scenario and then repeat that test a statistically significant number of times. Probably at least 100 iterations.

Even if you had the source code to hand, that would really be the best way to exactly figure out what happens !.

Cheers
Andy
I wasn't looking for the exact formula

Just you know... a hint... 5% 15% 25%?

Great now you having me counting rivets thinking about what kind of scenario I would have to create to generate a reasonable experiment
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Private

RedGuard is on a distinguished road

About the opfire rule, there's an idea came to my mind right after a shower yesterday

I know it may be impractical or difficult to do so, but I'm still gonna bring it up. If it's not a viable way, perhaps you can get some other ideas to perfect WinSP from that.

Let's come to it in WinSP rules. The core of the matter is that you could only order one single unit to shoot at another single unit at a time, but then you get multiple shot. So how about this:

You make your units select their targets first by "T" key. Then press a new function key to activate all the attacks simultaneously, and the opfires would drop on the attackers randomly, or according to some simple rules.
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

i don't think that's possible(or practical) as the game treats every unit separately. There could be a way to select targets, then give a "master fire" order, that makes every unit fire one after the other(much like arty, spotters and airborne units)
A way to avoid having everyone op-firing at the same unit would be: fire, use another unit to fire(no matter the target), then keep cycling through your units as you fire, until you come back to the first one, then start over. That's how i do it, it's a pretty fast way to play.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

And this has precisely what to do with double byte characters?

- please don't drift threads off-topic.

Andy
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Private

RedGuard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
And this has precisely what to do with double byte characters?

- please don't drift threads off-topic.

Andy
Sorry, it won't happen again