This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 12th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road
Default a "problem" with the space vikings

Currently I am playing a good TDM game. (I am just no. 5 in score in turn 142 but this does not matter)

The prob is that one of the races (the space vikings) are way ahead in both resources and technology. The AI has 270 levels of tech. (the no2 AI has 230 levels, while I have just 120 but again this does not matter) But I counted not more than 360 tech levels in the unmodded game. This means for me that the vikings are researching EVERY tech the next several dozens of turns.

IMO researching made by a race (AI or player) should NOT come to an end in any SE4 game and I am wondering if any one of you have encountered a similar "problem".
Thanks for the input.
tschüß
KlausD
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: a "problem" with the space vikings

It is quite easy to hit the end of the tech tree. In some PBW games where there is a huge (255 system) map, the tech tree can often be nearly finished (with only useless techs to go) by turn 130 or so by several players (or more). Try playing mods with extended tech trees. Proportions is extended, as it costs more to research stuff. Adamant is extended, but still in alpha Version. You can get the Junkyard Mod by Puke and then add the research centers back into the mod, and it gives more levels to a lot of tech areas. There are many other mods with longer tech trees out there.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road

Thanks I.F. for your info. (I did not know anything about "junkyards")
Of course I know that there are mods outside with more levels. I dont play alot of those mods. (except proportions which has its good sides) I am rather conservative and I prefer a slightly (personally) modified TDM because of the AI quality. (eg I am not playing with mounts and improved some imbalanced weapons like APB, PBB, shields, torpedos and plasma missiles)

Because of the massive time and emotional investment (this current game I play since several months) I would not like to end it and begin a new one. Sadly my enemy will reach the tech end very soon. Well I dont think I can beat him anyway.

tschüß and once more thank you for your kind reply.
Klaus D
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Servus KlausD.
You don't have to end your game. You could just exchange the technology/components/facility files with extended technology levels. However the additional components/facilities must be at the end of the list otherwise your current designs and facilities will change very strangely.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:44 PM

Private

kalorrith is on a distinguished road

How can you get an english keybord to produce an 'ess-tet'? I am using a linux machine. I don't know if it is possiable or not.

Thanks,

Scrytub Ka'Lorrith
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by kalorrith:
How can you get an english keybord to produce an 'ess-tet'? I am using a linux machine. I don't know if it is possiable or not.

Thanks,

Scrytub Ka'Lorrith
I'm not sure which is the 'ess-tet', nor if this works on a Linux machine, but you may be able to find the information you are looking for in the Paythagorian and 3rd thread, back a few Posts (look for the Alt-Num tables I posted). If you are just looking for the character in order to post it, you may also want to look at the & # num; tables.

ü = alt-129 ß = alt-225

[ May 12, 2003, 18:58: Message edited by: Jack Simth ]