.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:22 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How does the game get info on sites (where are the sites coded/listed in-game)?

Thanks much once again.
Last question: Is there anyway I can extract these names (from that list with those bizarre numbers in front of them, like 022E04 and whatnot) automatically in some sort of text file which would make it easy for me to mod some map so that I could put all of these sites in one or two provinces??
I ask because I wanted to do a serious and complete check of the sites out there, which will of course take a lot of time, but I didnt want to bog it down with hours of copy and paste beforehand....
thanks much!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How does the game get info on sites (where are the sites coded/listed in-game)?

Hmmmm I thought someone had done that already. How about the sites xls that are available. Cant you export the first field to a file? Are those not up to date?

Lets see.... about 400 sites.. a maximum of 500 provinces on a map. Number thru the provinces and write out a command to assign a magic site to it.. oh and make it visible (already found) then another command to make it owned by someone. Like make it owned by Arcos so that going into the game as Arcos will already give you view of all those provinces and all those sites...

Yeah that should work. It leaves enough provinces left over to belong to some AI so that you can go into the game without it being "you won" and all done.

I can think of easy ways to do it but it involves using linux commands like strings and sed. Maybe a BASIC program just for control of it all. It all comes out "easier to do than to explain". Maybe if I think of it later I will try to snag the sites list for you at least.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)