Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM

Corporal

MrToxin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infinitech Mod Starting

Quote:
Suicide Junkie said:
Quote:
MrToxin said:
OK, Planet Maximum Population doesn't seem to work on facilities. Disappointing but we'll see what the next patch brings. If it doesn't get implemented, I'll stuff it in a future mod design or something. In the mean time, I'll make do.
Max pop, supply & ordnance storage should be working in the next patch! Yay!

To this end, I post for your consideration the following system:
1) Set all non-breathable planets to have a population maximum of 1M people.
2) Set breathable worlds to have a population maximum of 500M-2500M based on size.
3) Set the population modifier for less than 2M people to be -99.9% to build rate. (Modifiers for 2M or more people are normal)
4) Provide "Dome" facilities, which cost 1 mineral and give +50M population capacity.
5) Provide other facilities such as "open air city", which cost multiple thousands of resources, and have a requirement of <i>NO Dome facilities on the planet</i>

This means:
Breathable worlds are normal.
Non-breathable worlds MUST build a dome facility before they can build anything else. (Build rate of 2.0 per month until they get that second million people)

"Open air cities" and any other facility you wish to restrict to breathable worlds, will be restricted to breathable worlds via the "no domes" policy.

If you increase the effect of population bonuses (and/or penalties for low pop), cities and domes become important to build once population gets close to max.

Add arcologies and orbital habitats for long-term investments to keep planetary development rolling along into the mid and late game...
Not a bad idea, but my assumption with colonists is that they'll build their own habitations, though they're inefficient at it. The colony ship itself gets torn down to make a very basic settlement that can be lived out of indefinitely, domed or not.

However, I do like the idea of non-breathable planets having a much, much lower initial maximum population. I'm also keeping Domed populations to lower amounts of facility space to have the effect of domed cities taking up more space and resources. I'll be tinkering with the specifics, obviously, but all things considered, the buildings in a domed and a normal city are about the same "size" and I think should transition easily when the planet is switched to a breathable atmosphere. Domed and free air cities not being compatible means there's a LOT of tearing stuff down when the atmosphere is altered.

Good ideas and I'll likely have some adaptation or another for them. Plus, with this stuff getting fixed in the next patch...well, now I have to finish this mod.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Habitations aren't quite possible yet...

The population max ability works, but it doesn't stack.
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Private

thebigsilly is on a distinguished road

Please make better AI, too! I do not play online...
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Corporal

MrToxin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thebigsilly said:
Please make better AI, too! I do not play online...
I do plan on it for this mod, but that'll be way off in the distance as far as versions go.

AI is tough to program well enough to make it "good." I have some theories but they'll need scripted and tested.