.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 5th, 2022, 06:09 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ukraine 2021(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Seems that Germany sent a bunch of duds to Ukraine, many of the MPADs are not working, thing is they sent old Igla MPADs, 700 of which have failed to fire. Along with moldy ammo for AKs and other WP weapons. I guess they didn't sell off all that old East German stock of weapons and ammo. But hey it's the thought that counts...
Germany gave 500 Stingers and 1000 PzF 3, and German government claims, that they arrived to Ukraine on Wednesday (2 March). I guess there are no complaints concerning them.

Just about that time it was announced, that Germany would give also 2700 ex-DDR Strelas (I assume Strela-2M?), but German press revealed, that according to Bundeswehr reports, only around 2000 are still useful. Sadly, Germany is unjustly criticized for this decision in some scandal-seeking media, which do not mention Stingers... Anyway, I think, that it's better to have extra 2000 Strelas at hand, than nothing (even with its mediocre hit probability, and limited rather to running out aircraft, showing exhaust).

Last edited by Pibwl; March 5th, 2022 at 06:17 PM..
Old March 5th, 2022, 07:02 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Or the Russians are using this to test out tactics and junior officers, along with cleaning out older equipment.

The Russians like to play games, they know no one really takes them seriously, and they know that given their performance in other conflicts since the 90s, NO ONE TAKES THEM SERIOUSLY. So all we keep seeing are these glowing reports of the Ukrainians doing well, but all we see on the flip side is reports of idiotic Russian moves or their tanks being stolen or this or that. Never do we see anything that shows them in another light or viewpoint.

I prefer facts, so far very little of that has come out of the region, and given that the American media and political parties are playing their own spin and games with things, I doubt we will ever get the facts.
Well, for last 10 days I almost do nothing but check battlefield news and read analyses, especially, that it is neighbour country...

In short, most analytics here agree, that it was not the war, that the Russians expected. Possibly trying to make it relatively "peaceful", and counting on little opposition, there were only weak missile and airforce preparation strikes. Southern direction actions were well prepared and trained, but surprisingly, on Kiev direction there were thrown two armies from Far East and Middle Asia, with worse training, older equipment and high conscript ratio. Elite 1st Tank Army was supposed to take Kharkiv, but met with strong and well prepared opposition there. Very important factor is, that most Russian conscript troops evidently had no "heart" for real war, especially that they were told, that it was basically a peacekeeping operation with people's support against the corrupt government, whose army would probably decompose. None of it appeared even close. And the people were former "brothers", speaking similar or the same language. Russian army did not evolve far from Warsaw Pact tactics, especially with little combined operation capability, while Ukrainian one was professionally trained according to NATO standards. And of course, if Russian leading columns were able to move into the country, there started problems with logistics - which was never strong and well-organized in USSR/Russia (supply convoys, protection and recovery of broken down equipment). Huge books will be written someday on this war... (provided, that it would not lead to mankind destruction).

Of course, Ukrainian side, trying to gain support and raise morale, publishes films of capturing or burning enemy equipment. They are mostly taken by National Guard territorial army, which makes ambushes in vast country. On the other hand, it is overlooked, that main burden of halting Russian advance is carried by regular Ukrainian army, with tanks and BMPs - there were reportedly fierce tank battles around Kharhkiv, Chernihiv and north of Kiev, but no reports are revealed to public. And regular soldiers are forbidden to carry mobile phones. Surely Ukrainian ground forces lost a couple thousand soldiers as well. Irregardless if there were any US interests or not, one thing is sure: noone in the 21st century is entitled to invade a neighbour in order to overthrow democratic government which does not violate human rights, or to dictate if sovereign country can be a member of some alliance, and this "special military operation" may not be justified.

Last edited by Pibwl; March 5th, 2022 at 07:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pibwl For This Useful Post:
Old March 5th, 2022, 09:08 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

War is going to happen and no rules or "you can't do this or that because it's the 21st Century" is going to change that. Pretty sure the same comments were made all the way back to when there was peace between most countries and then well a history book will tell you how that turned out.

War is never going to go away. Not unless humanity is removed from the picture.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karagin For This Useful Post:
Old March 6th, 2022, 05:21 PM

Captain

I hope you not consider it spam, here's a video of Russian D-30 howizter battery near Nikolaiyv, probably attacked with cluster munition, if you haven't seen it... Impressive counter-battery work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk98HKJuoCI
Old March 6th, 2022, 06:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
I hope you not consider it spam, here's a video of Russian D-30 howizter battery near Nikolaiyv, probably attacked with cluster munition, if you haven't seen it... Impressive counter-battery work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk98HKJuoCI

Do you know if that was a Ukrainian speaking or Russian? I must confess I cannot tell the difference

I assume this was recorded well after the event as the scene is devoid of any evidence of casualties

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 6th, 2022, 07:03 PM

Captain

Ukrainian, though the difference is subtle. The narrator speaks, that "it was what remained of our brothers, who came to save us" (Ukrainian: "spasaty" instead of Russian "spasti"). "In such way Ukrainian artillery hits", he says.

Reportedly there are films on twitter (or wherever) with casaulties...
Old March 6th, 2022, 07:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

potentially dumb question alert

Maybe you know, maybe someone else does

Is Ukrainian to Russian ( the languages..... ) similar to the similarities and differences between High German and German Dialects?

( English, as spoken in the south of England and the Scottish northern highlands also comes to mind )

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 6th, 2022, 08:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

another one

https://twitter.com/i/status/1500513612661760000

Old March 6th, 2022, 08:35 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
potentially dumb question alert

Is Ukrainian to Russian ( the languages..... ) similar to the similarities and differences between High German and German Dialects?
There are no dumb questions

I don't know the difference between German dialects, but I believe that Ukrainian and Russian are more different. Knowing Russian, I don't know Ukrainian and can hardly understand it, though more words are similar to Polish. A lot of words are different and there are slightly different grammar forms. Some Cyrillic letters are pronounced in a different way, which is a false friend. In writing, the easiest way to tell Ukrainian are letters "і" and "ї".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pibwl For This Useful Post:
Old March 7th, 2022, 12:46 AM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road

I finally remembered my password, yippee. While trawling around the hellscape that is twitter I came across this map by an account called 'Jomini'. I have absolutely no clue how accurate it is, but I do hope that the divisional organization can help folks make more accurate maps.

With that in mind, any idea what the 20th Guards Motor are rocking? They were recently reformed apparently, so I assume they're rolling with some decent kit. Thinking about doing a scenario down there about the (theoretical) breakout from Kherson.

Apologies that this is a link. Been trying for the past few minutes to get it to work, but I'm far too tired and inebriated to keep it up. I promise it works if you click on it, though!