.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old January 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Mac Bugs

Two apparently minor bugs I noticed recently for the mac version.

1st, when playing with the tutorial mode enabled, one of the early screens mentions that you can bring up a help screen at any time by pressing F1. However, when I press F1, nothing happens.

Secondly, when I open the game using Terminal (the mac equivalent of the "verbose" launching option), I always get the following error:

Quote:
2010-01-14 07:02:15.547 ww[12114:10b] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Neither bug causes crashes at all or causes any further problems, but they should probably be on the list of things to be addressed if the game were to ever get another patch.
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mac Bugs

And another bug I just noticed recently...

The following line is in fb_rav_head.ini (in the main game, no mods):
Quote:
SOND 100 0 combat/fb_ravhead.wav fire
However, there isn't a file named fb_ravhead.wav in the sounds/combat folder. As a result, whenever the ravian head is generated, the sound of course doesn't play, and I get the following error message in terminal on -verbose:
Quote:
ERROR: audio_loadasset can't find combat/fb_ravhead.wav
audio_refasset: couldn't find combat/fb_ravhead.wav
Again, relatively minor, since it doesn't crash the game. Not certain if this error is just in the mac version, of if it affects PCs as well.

(If you're on a PC, and your version has that file, please post it to the forums so those of us on macs can download it and find out what we've been missing.)
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Private

Lost In Space is on a distinguished road

There seems to be some neglect towards the Mac version of the game. My biggest surprise came a month ago when I tried to play under OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard.) The game's binary has not been compiled for Intel processors, it seems. I came to this conclusion after being told by the system to install Rosetta to run it.

Also, the latest patch has been packed in the most peculiar way, running as a shell script that takes no account for unusual installations. I prefer to groups my games in the same folder, under the main Applications folder. Many users have custom app hierarchies for their system. This script sound to me like a solution that tries to be too clever for its own good, and fails to account for realistic user habits.

My criticism stems from my love for this game, and a desire for it to succeed and improve, even though it's pretty far in its lifetime.

I have tried to contact Digital Eel, but was lead to a third party service for which I had registered in the past, and my credentials seem to have been forgotten by their database. I have therefore a poor opinion of that support system.

I have posted in this thread instead of starting a new one, since it follows on a similar subject.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM

Private

webman2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In Space View Post
There seems to be some neglect towards the Mac version of the game. My biggest surprise came a month ago when I tried to play under OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard.) The game's binary has not been compiled for Intel processors, it seems. I came to this conclusion after being told by the system to install Rosetta to run it.
In the same boat - I would easily pay for an Intel build of this game. Probably the best of it's genre.
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Private

dysamoria is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Mac Bugs

anyone have sound problems on Mac OS X 10.6.4? i can't get any audio at all.
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Private

heh, i solved my problem by replacing the openal.framework in the app package with an Intel version... funny...
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Private

meh... gets it to run, but "Added Content" mod crashes randomly... i know that didn't happen on my Windows version...

EDIT: actually, so do others... sigh. we REALLY need an Intel version of Weird Worlds.