BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Private

Judicator65 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Could some nuclear weapons be simulated in WinSPMBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAreil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicator65 View Post
I also recall the original Harpoon computer game allowing for nuclear release and the launch of nuclear missiles. If one of those got through your air defense, you could pretty much write off the ship that got hit...

Only the ship that got hit?!
Well, the SSN-19 (P-700 Granit), which was one of the larger anti-ship missiles I remember using "only" had a 500 kt warhead. From http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/sf.../1mtblast.html, it seems that a 1 megaton surface blast would have a blast radius of maybe 7.5 miles, so a 500 kt warhead would have a rather smaller radius (maybe 4-5?). And consider that we're talking about ship formations here, which can spread across several miles. I remember the ship that got hit being totaled, and I think maybe some of the nearby ships would take blast damage, but this was all a very long time ago (early 1990s). In fact, predating the original Steel Panthers...
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Private

Kenny is on a distinguished road

Just like chemical and biological weapons,IMO some are seeking a solution to a non-existent problem. This is a tactical scale wargame.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With FAE's,cluster bombs and MLRS artillery,SPMBT can rain immense amounts of death and destruction on an opponent as it is presently designed,and that is "enough" for this long time advocate of the Steel Panthers series.

The beauty of this wargame is it is totally customisable. If one needs an "overkill" fix,pit the 1946 Red Army against the USAEUR forces from mid 70's. M60 tanks and M551A1 Sheridans can make short work of the enemy,even being out-number 5 to 1,and especially when backed up by an 8 inch howitzer battalion and a Cav squadron 155 howitzer battery.

p.s. I think we in the 2/11 ACR could have done a pretty good job in reality as well against the T-62 and T-55 tanks that faced us on the other side of the fence in the Meinegen gap region of Germany in 1974.

Last edited by Kenny; March 13th, 2012 at 05:00 PM..
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:11 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Could some nuclear weapons be simulated in WinSPMBT?

Well this will be it for me here, I agree we don't need these or chemical weapons here. The arty I agree can cause enough grief and sometimes for the user as well. I think I proved my case that the CM weapons as modeled are under rated as compared the reality of the real world by using several USA references in the great debate on CM arty almost 2yrs ago now. See the thread by the same name started by IMP, also there's another one from about 5yrs ago dealing with the same topic. The weapon I'm most familiar with beside the D5 TRIDENT Msl. is the BGM-109A TLAM-N w/W80 200kt warhead. Maybe someone can break down the math of the games standard map size meters = kilometers (See the time I'm just to Dam...tired to do the math.). Take that number of kms and compare it to table one of ref one and besides Dons no way no how basic answer you'll see why it's impractical for this game overall. Continue down the tables and it only gets worse, EPM, Radcon, Fallout etc. Based on the above weapon I mentioned at 200kt with a 1.6km total destruction zone, I'm thinking game over in what would have to be a legitimate weapon to be game included if the nuclear option was allowed.
http://docrob.tripod.com/nukes.html
http://missilethreat.com/cruise/id.1...ise_detail.asp
http://missilethreat.com/cruise/
http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Cruise-Missiles-1985.html

Good Night!
Regards,
Pat
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:16 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Can this be put into the dead horses bin, so its carcass won't be beaten any more? AFAIAC, nuclear weapons don't belong in SPMBT, shouldn't be in SPMBT, and I hope never to see them.

troopie
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Could some nuclear weapons be simulated in WinSPMBT?

Regards,
Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Private

Kenny is on a distinguished road

+1
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread