.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Welcome. You should find a lot of things here to help you. For modding, the manual in the latest patch is a good place to start.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

If you have any modding questions, I'm not the best person to ask, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM

Private

Conq is on a distinguished road

I am 20, male, electrical engineering major at North Carolina State.
I'm still running dom2 but I plan on getting dom3 for xmas, I discovered dominions on a demo disk that comes with PC Gamer magazine.
I've been playing strategy games since warcraft2 (I consider it a strategy game). I still play Starcraft online but mostly the oddball games, I played medieval2 total war for a while till my laptop fried, i'm waiting on dawn of war 2 and i'm considering getting starcraft2. I've also been playing Everquest2 for a while, i'm waiting on my laptop to get repaired before I get into it again. Whenever I am back in town I like to hang out with the boys have a few beers and play Blokus (a really good strategy boardgame) and RISK. I'm actually a "casual" gamer, I just play when I dont have homework or studying to do.
I'm an avid fan of Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont they are the co-authors of the Malazan novels, I've exhausted most of Barnes & Nobles stocks of Warhammer and WH40K novels, I cant get enough of Dan Abnet and the Horus Heresy series. And I'll occasionally pick up the random Forgotten Realms book, i'm a sucker for cover art.
I've had an xbox360 for a while as well so whenever I feel like wasting a few hours i'll go online with Gears of War 2 or Battlefield Bad Company and pwn some nubs.

But i'm looking forward to getting dom3 and maybe going through the gauntlet of a few multiplayer games, i'm interested in seeing how a game plays out in a long span of time rather than me beating up on the AI in a few hours and making a lot of little mistakes.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM

Edi is on a distinguished road

Welcome. The way it usually plays out in a long game is that the first few (or several or even many) times you will get severely trounced until you learn enough to start handing out the trouncing.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Private

NKIcan is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My name is Jason but you can call me NKIcan and I have been playing this game in Single Player mode for awhile now. I decided I'd jump on the forums and hopefully jump into a few MP games so you vets can teach me The Hard Way lol.

Seriously though, I've been learning a lot simply by reading the different threads. This game is pretty cool and I'm enjoying all the various nations. Currently C'tis is my favorite.

Anyway, thats me.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Corporal

vladikus is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I have ordered Dominions 3 and look forward to being a part of this community. It's nice to see people who like to play games that make you think (by the way, does anyone play this game over e-mail? I'd like more information about how this works since I don't have the manual yet).

-Dave

Last edited by vladikus; December 19th, 2008 at 07:27 PM..
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard!

The play-by-email is really quite simple. The host computer has a fthrlnd file used for hosting the next turn, and .2h and .trn files for all human nations. The .trn (turn) file is sent to the players, either automatically (server game) or as an e-mail attachment (PBEM). The .2h file ("to host") stores the orders the player did, and is needed to generate the next turn.

If you're interested in multiplayer, check out the multiplayer subforum and look for explanation about the Llamaserver, an automated server-system by Llamabeast.

There's also an IRC channel for Dominions. It's a really fast way to learn the basics of multiplayer, because several good players hang around there and often play fast blitz games on small maps. They only take few hours. You will probably lose the first MP games you join, before you have an idea about what the other players might do, and it's much more fun to lose in a few hours than slowly over several weeks.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM

Private

ese-aSH is on a distinguished road
Clap Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Hi all,

I'm french M 27yo.

Im very new to the dominions serie (I get dom3 demo last week, played it addictivly for the WE and plan to get it soon).
I got bored of civ4 (I considered myself as a civfanatic since 1991) some times ago after 3 intensive years and found dominions to be a nice mix of moo/galciv -the research and configuration at startup-, homm -the rpg aspect on commanders- and shogun TW -the map- which I all enjoyed a lot.
Im also re-playing morrowind right now some so it might take some time for me to get familiar with dominions 3 and be ready for the MP challenge (but hopefully this will happen ) which definitly seems to be the essential point of this game.

A question : I was looking for game reports (turn by turn) made by some experimented players but did not find any in the MP section, are there any and where are they located (I found a french blog with one report here : http://eressildom3.centerblog.net/ru...sentation.html, Im looking for this kind of stuff).

-aSH
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Hey there ese-aSH, welcome! Found those for you to start, in Torin's old thread with links

Jens Dominions 1 After action report

Latif�s Dom3 after aaction report

Ichtarian�s Dom3 After action report

Saint Patrick�s AAR

Torin�s AAR

Also keep an eye on the threads of the Chronicles games (the MA one has started, EA starting) by Lokean; ppl are supposed to write some nice pieces of literature in there

BTW, with which character did you start your new Morrowind game?

Last edited by Tifone; December 22nd, 2008 at 07:46 AM..
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM

Private

ese-aSH is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

thanks a lot ! I'll look your links

In morrowind i'm playing an almer invocater (only armors and weapons)/alchimist with high personnality that will eventually be great enchanter in the end (first time in 2002 I played standart destructive/healing magicien and I had a shot on stealthy archer in oblivion).