.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Beowulf -MA Man mod(Final Version)

After much testing, Beowulf, who is also included as the Epic Hero for Man in the Epic Heroes Mod, has received his final changes. Beowulf now has a Longbow of Avalon, a shield bash ability, and a Thunder kick. The description of his allies, the Geatas Stoneguards was beefed up.

This mod adds an epic hero Beowulf that is present from the start for MA Man. It also slightly twinks the Tower guard,
giving it a bit more protection at the cost of defense, and a morale boost of 1.

He was also given a makemonster command and he makes an entirely new thematic unit that was researched from the book Beowulf itself. The units are real, the nation is real.

Kristopher may even recognize them if he is up on his Nordic history! They are fierce, because that is the way they actually were.

The reason he was given a makemonster ability is so he can do something constructive at a castle. The casting heroes can research, hunt for gems, and forge items, a melee only hero can patrol(how exciting). So I borrowed the idea from Arralen and he summons consistently with Arralen's Black Duke of Ulm in his Black Steel Ulm mod. The difference is Beowulf is the only unit that can summon for Man, so it is not unbalanced.

The troops Beowulf can summon make him more fun, as i think the new units he summons are fun-and quite useful.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New! Beowulf MA Man mod(1.4 updated)

Ah-HA! Attachments work! You'll get some competition in the hero market then!

About Beowulf:
The standard does have an effect. It won't make units braver, but it restores lost morale. It won't keep units fighting to the very end, but it helps. You could've kept it. It's not a big thing, and not worth changing now, but if it isn't broken, there's no need to fix it.

We discussed the other changes earlier. They work well.

Other things:

You could get rid of the extra folder the previous versions were in, so I can just extract these files straight into my Dom3\mods\. The program I use wants to throw the whole folder there, and then I manually move the .dm file and the subfolder to the correct place.

This new file has a different name from the old version. That's bad. The different versions of the same mod should be next to each other, if for no other reason that to easily delete the old one.

Finally, I don't personally think this would've warranted a new thread. Posting in an earlier Beowulf thread would've bumped it to the top, and you can edit the title of the thread by editing your first post. That way you could let everyone know about 1.4 update without creating a new thread.

These are all small things, but they're all something I'd like to see working in your compilation of MA starting heroes.