.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 19th, 2010, 03:01 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs and Vets II: Days of Infamy. MA, BI. In Progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Hmm.. My map does not show freshwater tags at all, nor mountains. Is the final map secret, or is it available from the first page, and can I examine it?
The server copy of the .map file will not be made available for inspection, at least not till after the game.

Regarding your issue, I see all the mountain provinces I added when I load up the game. The freshwater terrain masks don't show up in the game for some reason (and I actually don't recall if they supposed to show an icon or not) but I can confirm they ARE in my version of the .map file (also visable via the map editor) which Gandalf was given.

If you load up your turn and right click on province 212 for example (in the north center of the map (3 provinces down from the north edge), and then move your cursor to the info box in the top left corner over the mountain icon, you will see that is indeed a mountain province not a border mountain. I can provide a screenshot if you are still having an issue. Someone else feel free to confirm this observation. I'd hate to think I am going mad.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; June 19th, 2010 at 03:29 AM..
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Sergeant

Numahr is on a distinguished road

I have to say that I am little disappointed by the way the situation was handled.

I would have asked for a delay if information delivered to me had been transparent, i.e. if the official "external timer" had not lied to me. But I trusted it, and arranged complicated professional / personal life parameters so that I would connect to the servor in the timeframe given to me by the timer. In no circumstances I would stale, and if information had been clear about how much time was actually left, I would have dealt differently with all the afore mentioned constraints so that either I would send a delay request, or more probably, send my turn.

So what happened?
- Yesterday morning I got instructions for my turn from our new captain. I was in office, where no connection to the servor is possible: I checked the time left, it was 48h. So I thought "OK, I can play my turn and send it toonight."
- Then unexpected RL life constraints popped up, preventing me from accessing the internet the evening. Based on the informaiton I had accessed earlier, I know I could still send my turn the next morning and not be outside of the timeframe.
- At this point, let me remind you that depending on our RL constraints, some of us have different access to the internet. So I have to organize my schedule according to the info I get from the admin, relying on it, which is perfectly OK for me as long as the info I get when I have one access is not a false one.
- Then this morning I run again out of luck and my whole neighborhood got an electricity blackout. Again, if I knew that hosting interval had changed, I could find a solution, like finding an internet cafe. But I knew that electricity would come back before the hosting time I had seen 24 hours ago was over.
- And finally... disaster, when I eventually connected, I realized that the information based on which I had organized myself and made difficult decisions during 24 hours, had been a false one.

Now I feel very bad for having staled and jeopardized the whole game for my team, it is not like a regular MP game where each player is responsible only for himself, my situation has now consequences for the whole team and the whole delicate game balance.

Moreover, I have the feeling that I created this situation although I based my decisions on official information provided to me by a webpage set up by admins of the game.

So, in light of the events described, I would like to kindly request the admin to:
- consider again re-hosting the turn in question;
- provide reliable, transparent information to the players on hosting intervals from now on, and in particular avoid manual shortening of hosting intervals announced on the external timer.

I hope these requests will sound reasonable.

As a final note, in case these requests are not considered, I will continue the game, taking into consideration the unreliable nature of the external timer and following very closely the more complicated forum to know what is exactly happening with delays. But continuing the game will be more a matter of having a responsible behavior towards my team mate and all of you, rather than having fun.
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Septimius
Why are you against the rehost? It would be fair under these circumstances as it was definitely not numahr's fault. I will also accept either decision but it is a very bad precedent.

In general, I second numahr's requests, particularly the second one. Also, if there're problems with restarting the server/changing the timer they should be publicly announced before the weird situation like the one we have now occurs. You may not know, but I will tell you that in no game I ever knew hosting intervals were shortened in the way like it happened here.
I would really hate such **** happen to me so I definitely second Usurpers' request for a rehost. But you may ignore, of course (it seems to me that your strict "no rehosts" intention hinders the flexibility that is a necessary characteristic of any good leader).
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Also, after the consultation with my teammates I may say that our team in general supports the rehost.
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:51 AM

Sergeant

Numahr is on a distinguished road

I would like to add some additional information for the admin's consideration.

- the game is specific, with a need to coordinate between team members and a captain ;
- but this turn, in particular, was indeed very special: a change in captaincy in our team. I had actually prepared a turn based on previously defined strategy just a few hours after the hosting; but did not upload it in the knowledge that a new captain would probably change the team's strategy.
- it took some time for the new captain to confirm his position, to analyze the situation, debate with us on our forum and then formulate the turn's strategy;
- in this context all the events I described above took place (unexpected RL events and failure in electricity supply), with which I could perfectly cope IF either of the following two had not occured: change in captaincy AND wrong information provided by the external timer.

One can see that the parameters are indeed totally exceptional, with a very unlikely combination of many events combining to create the situation. So if an exceptional decision is made in view of the situation, I doubt it will ruin the overall structure and rules generally applicable to the game, as every one will understand it was made due to exceptional circumstances.

Thanks for your kind consideration, and don't doubt that I will abide anyway by any decision made.
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano View Post
Also, after the consultation with my teammates I may say that our team in general supports the rehost.
How gracious of you, thanks.
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Private

zegc-ben is on a distinguished road

I would also be for a rehost since everybody seems to accept it and we are here to have fun, not to go for victory at any cost. btw I haven't check my turn yet.
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius
In case you still insist on "no rehost", please postpone hosting by 24h because all our team is waiting for your decision and thus not doing anything. Also, I have a working day tomorrow.
And, obviously, the same applies to the Usurpers
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Not only that .. I haven't gotten a turn.
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

When I add fresh water tags they show up... Also.. I've looked at all 35 mountain provinces I have access to .. and found 1 mountain.

This hardly sounds like the change I requested.