Old March 25th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Slightly relevant.
I am in a generated campaign (Greece vs Russia 2022) and the first 2 (or 3?) battles it was a cakewalk. I mean even though the AI had a bonus in points to purchase stuff, it was really easy for me. Which is a RARE thing against powerful armies such as Russia.
In the current (3rd or 4th) battle while it was again easy to capture all the flags and clear our most of the map, I found some enemy troops "hiding" in the southern part where there was nothing really important. Cocky as I was I sent my vehicles (Leo2, BMP1, M113) to quickly mop up any enemy forces. In about 5 turns I think I lost more tanks and helos than I lost in all the previous battles combined. Didn't use infantry first, didn't prepare with artillery fire, didn't..didn't..didn't. One stupid mistake after another. One cocky mistake after another. I have to say, I almost enjoyed having my *** handed to me like that.

My SP "having my *** handed to me " story goes back to the Original SP playing a long campaign as the Germans ( so considerably fewer units to deal with ) and I had, over time carefully preserved my core and built up to the best I could buy from the stock SP1 OOB up to Dec 1944.

Everything went well up to January 1945 when the AI unleashed an air attack like I had never seen before or since that devastated most of my armour. I had the previous save game so I tried again...... again hell from the sky..... restarted a third time -------same thing no matter what I tried to do differently. The AI unleashed a swarm of aircraft and I still have very clear memories of it. This would have been 1996

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2022, 09:17 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Slightly relevant.
I am in a generated campaign (Greece vs Russia 2022) and the first 2 (or 3?) battles it was a cakewalk. I mean even though the AI had a bonus in points to purchase stuff, it was really easy for me. Which is a RARE thing against powerful armies such as Russia.
In the current (3rd or 4th) battle while it was again easy to capture all the flags and clear our most of the map, I found some enemy troops "hiding" in the southern part where there was nothing really important. Cocky as I was I sent my vehicles (Leo2, BMP1, M113) to quickly mop up any enemy forces. In about 5 turns I think I lost more tanks and helos than I lost in all the previous battles combined. Didn't use infantry first, didn't prepare with artillery fire, didn't..didn't..didn't. One stupid mistake after another. One cocky mistake after another. I have to say, I almost enjoyed having my *** handed to me like that.

My SP "having my *** handed to me " story goes back to the Original SP playing a long campaign as the Germans ( so considerably fewer units to deal with ) and I had, over time carefully preserved my core and built up to the best I could buy from the stock SP1 OOB up to Dec 1944.

Everything went well up to January 1945 when the AI unleashed an air attack like I had never seen before or since that devastated most of my armour. I had the previous save game so I tried again...... again hell from the sky..... restarted a third time -------same thing no matter what I tried to do differently. The AI unleashed a swarm of aircraft and I still have very clear memories of it. This would have been 1996

One more reason to like this game.

Oh yeah, till this moment air was my main threat. Their Mig-31something just kept attacking me, with quite good results for them. Unfortunately my Patriots rarely fired and my ASRAD rarely hit. No complaints, just stating that airplanes can be a pain.
Old March 25th, 2022, 10:10 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Some Area SAM can have longer min ranges than the map size - in which case they would only be useful for shooting at planes making stand-off attacks, not those coming on the map itself, helos etc.
Old March 25th, 2022, 12:06 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Not been following heavily but the most obvious thing to take from this is stop always using the best equipment available. I wonder if Russia just expected the Ukraine to capitulate when faced with such a massive force. For the first few days they played nice limiting collateral damage I think that changed when they realised it was not going to be quick as expected.

The big problem is while there is a lot of coverage its cherry picked & biased. The question is who are we watching in action I believe a lot of troops were pulled from the Eastern Military District. My guess as they are facing China probably worse trained & equipment that is not upgraded. As said not following but a lot of vehicles do not seem to have Arena for example.
Is this really a surprise your not talking outfitting a few hundred or at most a few thousand tanks.
Slightly surprising is the level of incompetence shown but we generally only see the success stories. As mentioned elsewhere editing is a wonderful thing to.
Old March 25th, 2022, 01:26 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

This is a pretty fair and balanced French site (my browser auto translates).

https://lavoiedelepee.blogspot.com/

So far the consensus seems to be that there is a lot of disinformation coming from both sides, the West and the Media seems to support Ukraine and is depicting that Russia is the bad evil invaders (where the US gets a pass for doing the same in the Middle East) and the Russians (almost typed Soviets, lol) has really failed/dropped the ball when it comes to the operational art of war, in particular combined arms.

So its a bloody mess with no end in site.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and there will be no thermal nuclear war. But nothing is guaranteed and with the West backed by the frenzied Media wanting a war with Russia and with an idiot like Biden sitting on the button, anyone's guess on our future.

We have gone from a pandemic to the brink of nuclear war in just two short years.

China has remained silent, waiting in the wings to launch there agenda.

And no I don't trust the government, especially the new administration.
Old March 25th, 2022, 02:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post

So far the consensus seems to be that there is a lot of disinformation coming from both sides, the West and the Media seems to support Ukraine and is depicting that Russia is the bad evil invaders (where the US gets a pass for doing the same in the Middle East) and the Russians (almost typed Soviets, lol) has really failed/dropped the ball when it comes to the operational art of war, in particular combined arms.

So its a bloody mess with no end in site.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and there will be no thermal nuclear war. But nothing is guaranteed and with the West backed by the frenzied Media wanting a war with Russia and with an idiot like Biden sitting on the button, anyone's guess on our future.

We have gone from a pandemic to the brink of nuclear war in just two short years.

China has remained silent, waiting in the wings to launch there agenda.

And no I don't trust the government, especially the new administration.
At least you are objective. *sarcasm*

BTW, what the USA or anyone else has done in the past is irrelevant, unless Russia invaded USA. I do NOT agree that USA and allies have done the same thing, but using that hypothetical as an excuse is like robbing someone because someone else has robbed someone third so you might as well rob one yourself.
Old March 26th, 2022, 04:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

War have been fought not necessarily to conquer other people in general, but to conquer the land they live in. To "Expand the Empire" loosely speaking and to take advantage of the geographical and resource situation.

Russia does definitely want to take Ukraine in the long haul. However, their near terms tactical and strategic goals have faltered thus far the drive on Kiev has stopped and with a counter offensive to the NW/NNW and the stiff resistance they are encountering along the S/SE Coast.

Those goal were 1. Take out the capital and Decapite the government. I would argue the following is of more importance 2. Establish a "land bridge" in Eastern Ukraine from the breakaway providences to Crimea and onward to Odessa which would consolidate their 2014 gains and essentially also give them unchallenged control of both the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea.

Anyone seeing where I'm going yet?

About those resources I've seen the following online and CINCLANTHOME has shown it to me on Facebook. Yes, the economics lesson is coming with modification I'll be using the same material but as fact checked by "Snopes" since they did some fact checking. They do the same work as "Onyx" if that doesn't you can check them out yourselves.

Why did Hitler want the Ukraine? Or Russia after WWI? Or "Uncle Joe"
in his time enough so that 3+ million Ukrainians would die from famine? So, their people could get feed instead.

Just before the war it was found that the Ukraine was rich in other natural resources. So, besides the above I'll give what I believe is the rest of the story long term beyond the ego and the past glory of the Soviet Union to be reborn.

You to look at this as I have from a somewhat purely economic perspective by coupling the following based on what you know or think you know about Russia's natural resources. For instance, Russia is the world's 3rd largest producer of oil in the world accounting for 12% -15% of the world's supply based on source.

So now to Ukraine:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/wh...kraine-matter/
https://www.emsnow.com/ukrainian-rus...ys-trendforce/

Toyota and I believe, it was Ford will be closing down their USA plants next week for 1 and 2 weeks respectively. Why? Lack of global supply of computer chips that has recently worsened and not from Covid-19 that caused the issue in the first place ~1.5 yrs. ago.

I'm not afraid at all to say that very recently a much more narrowed trend of political views have started to pop up. Which quite frankly, I personally don't appreciate.

When I see pictures of Mariupol, Ukraine I think of the images of London, Hannover (Where my mom lived through MANY bombings as a preteenager.), Cologne, Dresden, Toyko and their more modern counterparts.

My point is, it's nice to be in our homes while others have lost theirs and others as well.

Let's try to keep the politics out of this.

It's damm hard enough to just get reasonable data and information as it is, without having to deal with the rest.

To Andy and Don if I've overstepped my bounds, I extend my apologies.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; March 26th, 2022 at 11:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old March 26th, 2022, 05:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post

Yes, in particular.......

Quote:
Appearance of improvised explosive devices (IED in English) in the area occupied by the 58th A ( Kherson region). Beginning of a rear guerrilla warfare.
AND THIS
Quote:
Theory: Exhaustion

A month of continuous combat constitutes a psychological limit beyond which there is a rapid increase in collapses. Half of the evacuees then often show no physical injuries, assuming that they can be evacuated. After a month of intense fighting at Dien Bien Phu, a fifth of the defenders had "deserted in place" pending the end of the fighting along the Nam Youn River.

All of this is obviously highly variable, depending on the intensity of the fighting, the experience and the individual and collective solidity of the fighters, their motivation, but it is likely that a certain number of units engaged without interruption since the first days of combat in Ukraine (notably the Russian units west of kyiv or most of the forces engaged in Mariupol) are on the verge of psychic collapse. In these cases, it is not a replenishment forward that must be organized but a relief, and it is not obvious that the forces in combat in Ukraine, Russians in particular, are always capable of it.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 26th, 2022, 09:32 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Everything went well up to January 1945 when the AI unleashed an air attack like I had never seen before or since that devastated most of my armour.
That happened to me too. SP1, German "Long Campaign". I think I made it to April 45 and there was this battle vs the US Army with plane after plane coming in (IIRC Marauders)...
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old March 26th, 2022, 10:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
Quote:
Everything went well up to January 1945 when the AI unleashed an air attack like I had never seen before or since that devastated most of my armour.
That happened to me too. SP1, German "Long Campaign". I think I made it to April 45 and there was this battle vs the US Army with plane after plane coming in (IIRC Marauders)...

Yes that sounds exactly like what happened to me and it was single and double engines aircraft as well. I recall B-25s but it may have been Marauders

Closed Thread