.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this possible, and how hard would it be?

Actually you can sorta do both the things you are trying to do.

For the gem generator. Create a unit that is an item that is recruitable in the province with the #unique tag. Imagine something like the fountain for example, that produces 10 pearls.

There is a way using mod commands and map commands that you could also give yourself a unique item in a province.

Using mod commands, create a #unique unit (Say a pedestal or something). With map commands, place this unit in a hidden province with the item you are wanting to associate with another province.

In the province you want the item to spawn in, create a magic site that allows the unique item bearer to be recruitable.

Here is how it plays out:

Whoever gets to the province first can "recruit" the item bearer (Pedestal, weapon rack, whatever) and take the item from that unit. Recruiting a unique unit makes the unit appear in the province, no matter if it is already somewhere else on the map.

So the player who gets there first gets the item. Later on, if the province is conquered by another player or the AI. They can recruit the unit bearer, but the item will be gone.
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Actually you can sorta do both the things you are trying to do.

For the gem generator. Create a unit that is an item that is recruitable in the province with the #unique tag. Imagine something like the fountain for example, that produces 10 pearls.

There is a way using mod commands and map commands that you could also give yourself a unique item in a province.

Using mod commands, create a #unique unit (Say a pedestal or something). With map commands, place this unit in a hidden province with the item you are wanting to associate with another province.

In the province you want the item to spawn in, create a magic site that allows the unique item bearer to be recruitable.

Here is how it plays out:

Whoever gets to the province first can "recruit" the item bearer (Pedestal, weapon rack, whatever) and take the item from that unit. Recruiting a unique unit makes the unit appear in the province, no matter if it is already somewhere else on the map.

So the player who gets there first gets the item. Later on, if the province is conquered by another player or the AI. They can recruit the unit bearer, but the item will be gone.
Interesting idea! As a side note, you'd probably want to make sure the province containing the "itembearer" units doesn't have any connections to other provinces, to make certain that no-one stumbles across it. If this is for a multi-player game, you'd probably also want to give the province some over the top defenders, to prevent someone (including the AI) teleporting in to grab the goods. And of course you'd need to set a victory condition other than 100% elimination, as no-one "should" be visiting this province in normal play.

Also, note that the item(s) would still be available via wishing, in case wish would represent an easier method to obtain (not likely for the kinds of items you can actually mod.)
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

earwicker7 is on a distinguished road

Is there any way to randomize the unique locations? For example, say I use the unique item available through site recruiting (brilliant idea, by the way!); there are 160 provinces available, 20 for each path. Could I set it up so that in each game, the fire item will go to one of the 20 fire provinces, but nobody knows in advance which one it is? This way, I could play the game too, instead of just watching others enjoy it
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Is there any way to randomize the unique locations? For example, say I use the unique item available through site recruiting (brilliant idea, by the way!); there are 160 provinces available, 20 for each path. Could I set it up so that in each game, the fire item will go to one of the 20 fire provinces, but nobody knows in advance which one it is? This way, I could play the game too, instead of just watching others enjoy it
You might be able to get there using Semi-Random. It would take some effort:

1) Create .GAN (province templates) for each of the special provinces aligned with your recruitables. Make the templates apply to e.g. a Fire Site. Make the templates unique provinces.

2) Modify your map to specify that a certain number of provinces are e.g. unique fire sites.

3) Run Semi-RanDom with *just* your custom province files.

4) You'll still need to add your special "item holder" province to the map manually.

This will work if your items/recruitables are pretty well aligned with the "special site" types defined. If they don't, then you may not be able to use this.

Also, I wouldn't say that Semi-Random is a "guaranteed" solution. It doesn't always behave 100% consistently, so you might be in for a disappointment if for whatever reason it only places 9 out of 10 special sites, for instance. Definitely do some test runs first if you go for this approach to make sure it will work for you.
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix