Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 19th, 2021, 08:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MBT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
That was my point... how DO you remove the DU armour? I have no idea how it's installed and one year from announcement to delivery is just too quick unless this is something that's been in the works for a few years already.
Abrams armor is semi-modular for the turret. You simply cut open the access ports on the top of the turret and slide the armor out. Hull armor... I don't know.
Old July 21st, 2021, 03:33 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
That was my point... how DO you remove the DU armour? I have no idea how it's installed and one year from announcement to delivery is just too quick unless this is something that's been in the works for a few years already.
Abrams armor is semi-modular for the turret. You simply cut open the access ports on the top of the turret and slide the armor out. Hull armor... I don't know.
I can understand being able to do that but as it’s integral to the design that would probably greatly weaken the armour. An unsupported plate is nothing like as strong as something that is part of a structure if designed properly. So what do they do replace it with tungsten or steel?
Old July 21st, 2021, 12:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

My time is short, however, from what I can find is there are 3 options for the foreign buyer depending on budget for inserts...
1. Steel Plate/2. Applique Armor/3. Ceramic Armor.

I thinking not likely, but possibly, ERA.

Very basic for the following ref., but if layered, the layers can be removed.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/m1-tank4.htm

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old October 13th, 2021, 08:54 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

This is also a reconfiguring of the Brigades within the 1st CAV so it's a retro hash thing:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...Socialflow+ARM
Old November 8th, 2021, 03:15 AM

Lieutenant General

Well I see it's been awhile. Making our house much improved for either us or a new home owner, we yet.

Anyway, I've held on to this for awhile now. It might be of some interest to someone.

My biggest take on this is dealing with the HESH round which, I believe there was some discussion on in late Spring this year. I seem to remember it dealt with it's effectiveness.

Having looked into this further and beyond the ref. given below AND not remembering the final outcome, I just want to make sure we're doing "right" by the HESH round as there appears to be a big difference in the overall performance of the round based whether it's fired from a Smooth Bore or Rifled tank gun. From the ref. below...

"Unlike many other militaries’ armoured units, the British Army continue to use a rifled gun, as their primary tank ammunition is of the high explosive squash-head (HESH) type. HESH ammunition is used both as a general-purpose high explosive projectile, and also against other tanks and armoured vehicles. When HESH ammunition is fired from a rifled barrel, spin imparted to the projectile helps ensure a predictable distribution of the plasticised explosive filler, and thus maximises its efficiency in the anti-tank role."

I just don't know if this is a "thing" or not, as I tend at times to come across these kind of "novelties" every once in awhile.
http://characterisationexplosiveweap...-mm-tank-guns/

And as a "side bar" I've been following the Ukrainian situation from the beginning and dealing with their equipment for almost as long.

This has been on my mind for least 3-4 years now. It "crystalized" for me after watching the wonderful and predicted outcome of the Afghan National Army. As has been discussed concerning the evacuation, the combat performance of the Army was the same as the South Vietnamese once we fully pulled out.

Several NATO countries have been training all aspects of the Ukrainian forces since about the beginning of 2015. We all know what happened in 2014.

They unlike the two above, are fighting to defend their country since the start hostilities while still training to meet NATO training standards for both combat and equipment effectiveness since.

I am both, recommending and requesting consideration that the games "MORALE" for the Ukraine be increased accordingly.

I further suggest that 2020 (And this is not something I "pulled out of my...") to be an appropriate date for such a change if feasible.
https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/265244.html
https://112.international/article/se...rds-24850.html
https://www.ausa.org/articles/missio...russian-threat
https://coffeeordie.com/ukrainian-troops-train/
https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/topics_37750.htm
(For this ref. click on the "blue arrow" for further info as required at the end of this article.)

I know this is a big request that deserves from me solid refs for which I hope the above will suffice for now. THANK YOU.

Now I'll go back into my "rabbit hole" .

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; November 8th, 2021 at 12:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old November 8th, 2021, 09:28 PM

Lieutenant General

I guess much earlier this morning that the "EXPRIENCE" would logically need to be readjusted as well for the UKRAINE as not posted in my last.

SORRY!!

Regards,
Pat

Old November 9th, 2021, 06:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The way the code is set up 2010 is the last date for a change in EXP or MOR.
MBT goes by decade and the last Decade is 2010.

That said it had been higher then was lowered in 2018 to reflect what was known then

In the meantime, anyone wanting to play Ukraine post 2020 does have the longstanding game option of dialling in a troop quality number they think is more appropriate in Preferences and it can easily be changed in a scenario using Scenhack

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 26th, 2021, 06:09 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

T-72M1R view from top in actually camo green-black-sand and with skirts rear and rear-sides

The Following User Says Thank You to blazejos For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2021, 01:47 AM

Lieutenant General

How concerned is Russia about "Top Attack" weapons of all types? Just read the following...
But before you do, note these are in VERY limited numbers and ONLY in the Crimea.

Also, it doesn't look much stronger than "Slat Armor", good against RPG's not so good against tandem warheads with modern penetrators.
https://defence-ua.com/news/vs_rf_za...foto-4174.html
(Ukrainian source.)

I do believe someone brought this up 3-4 months back I believe. Your translator will work if needed.

ALSO, EGYPT wants to produce the K2. We already know (Or should.) that Poland passed on it in favor of the SEP V3, however, it made it to the final two (As the K2NO.) in NORWAY against the German LEO 2A7.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/defe...ttle_tank.html

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 28th, 2021 at 01:59 AM..
Old January 3rd, 2022, 12:58 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Hungary

021 Leopard 2A7V - currently scheduled for 2023 (now 10/22). The name reportedly is 2A7HU.

As a temporary measure, 12 Leopard 2A4HU were delivered between 7-12/20.

BTW, Hungary bough also 24 PzH 2000HU howitzers, expected in 2022.

Somewhere in this thread 2 years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Andy I just haven't gotten around to posting them yet. Hungry has actually 2 LEOPARD issues going on at this time.

First they are getting 12 completely refurbished German LEOPARD 2A4 tanks of which the Primary purpose is to used for training crews on much newer tank to come next para. Secondary purpose would be combat, in light of the 2-3 year gap between models.

Last edited by Pibwl; January 3rd, 2022 at 03:28 PM..