Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2022, 04:37 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
.........how's that allegedly Chinese curse go......."may you live in interesting times"?

https://nationalpost.com/news/ukrain...ng-the-mothers

Quote:
in part

The Ukrainians champion the use of face-scanning software from the U.S. tech firm Clearview AI as a brutal but effective way to stir up dissent inside Russia, discourage other fighters and hasten an end to a devastating war.

But some military and technology analysts worry that the strategy could backfire, inflaming anger over a shock campaign directed at mothers who may be thousands of miles from the drivers of the Kremlin’s war machine.
and that could very well be Yes on both parts and could possibly turn something already nasty into something considerably more so as if the discoveries made after the withdrawals wasn't enough
Population which turns against a war is some times quite effective. Americans have experience with this during the cold war.

All I can think of is if someone took out Putler how many more lives would be saved.
Old April 15th, 2022, 04:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEpkcVi1d4&t=33s

Pink Floyd - Hey Hey Rise Up the official video for 'Hey Hey Rise Up', Pink Floyd’s new Ukraine fundraiser feat Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Boombox

I will never tire of hearing David Gilmour play the guitar

EDIT a slightly different verion
https://youtu.be/2VvwH4vqUiI

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 15th, 2022 at 06:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2022, 10:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...rones-ukraine/

Published February 11, 2022

Russian drones shot down over Ukraine were full of Western parts.

Quote:
In early 2017, Ukrainian forces battling Russia-backed separatists shot down a drone conducting surveillance over the eastern flank of Ukraine.

The unmanned aircraft, nearly six feet long with a cone-shaped nose and a shiny gray body, had all the external characteristics of a Russian military drone. When researchers cracked it open, however, they found electronic components manufactured by a half-dozen Western companies.

The engine came from a German company that supplies model-airplane hobbyists. Computer chips for navigation and wireless communication were made by U.S. suppliers. A British company provided a motion-sensing chip. Other parts came from Switzerland and South Korea.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 16th, 2022, 12:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Updates in light of Ukraine war

As retired Submariner with 20 yrs. experience, I feel it is my duty to point out two simple facts...
1. Dons picture of the reclassed new MOSKVA Submarine Class for one, to have the bow located in what would normally be the stern is just not a good idea, I'd be jumping off the "boat" as well!?!

That picture shows how a submarine would look like surfacing on a "low pressure blow" bow first. But the bow I guess is the stern, so they put the engine and screws in the front!?! Mr. Putin you need to send your designers to either Siberia or the Ukrainian Front!!

Second obviously the crew was rushed through Submarine School as they somehow forgot to check the box for ensuring all the hatches were secured prior to the dive IAW the Rig for Dive Bill Checklist!!! Yes we had those and more.

They failed in the basic axiom of "having ONE more surfacing then dives. The proper way as I experienced on the USS NEBRASKA SSBN-739(G) which was of my last boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF8JKkRo5fk

Also, they miserably failed in damage control. What every submariner trains for starting in Sub School Groton, Ct. and while on any boat you serve on there after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ycDINNZHBw
I was 23 when I joined the Navy and went there.

If I were a Russian Submariner serving on one of the other two surviving MOSKVA Class Submarines, I'd request transfer to the Ukrainian Front, maybe better Siberia instead.

I need to go to work, have a good day.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; April 16th, 2022 at 10:56 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2022, 12:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Pat.....it was the John Deere tractor towing it that was the most relevant bit of humour

Old April 16th, 2022, 08:53 PM

Corporal

lansoar is on a distinguished road

Hi,

How much does the Survivability value play into things?
with the M1 design philosophy, it appeared that crew survival was at the forefront for Western designs from the 80s onward thus it was assumed to a degree that partial penetrations would occur on a semi frequent basis. The blow out panels for ammo stowage make for a strong example.

FYI, i just want to say, i agree with comments that argue against snap judgements. No system stands alone and there are many variables. Its also kind of weird too....to discuss such things while the conflict in question is ongoing....with real lives on the line. We should be respectful of that too. We talk wargaming. For those involved in the conflict its irrelevant....you live or you die.

That said. I appreciate the effort put into WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2. Best wargame ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to lansoar For This Useful Post:
Old April 17th, 2022, 02:29 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Survivability relates to crew survival on vehicle being killed. So the crew might make it out some more if survivabilty is higher. Not much effect in a stand alone battle or scenario, but it gains importance in a campaign, provided other battlefield effects do not kill the bailed crew of course.

The other main factor in crew bailout survivability is of course experience - green crews tend to die where experts might get some survivors.
Old April 17th, 2022, 02:31 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The chieftain with yet another good piece as a riposte to the youtube "experts" claiming the passing of the MBT (yet again);

"No the tank is not dead"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI7T650RTT8
Old April 17th, 2022, 04:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Yeah, there are a lot of "the tank's not dead" videos is YT lately, mainly as a response to any random Joe claiming the opposite. The main problem with people that think that the tank's dead is they dont remember/know that we actually know the alternative and it involves PBI into a frantic race to the parapet...which became even more difficult than 1916 since artillery has become faster and more accurate.
Old April 17th, 2022, 06:28 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

There will be no T-14s, interesting article and that is the conclusion from the Bulgarian Military.

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/amp/20...MKNtsHsm46JHe8