.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 8th, 2011, 03:20 AM

Sergeant

Shadowstar is on a distinguished road
Default Dedicated Server?

I run a Dom3 server on my home network for us, and have noticed recently that other graphics applications (mainly games) will sometimes crash when it's running. It seems to happen randomly, and only more recent games seem to be affected (probably because they use more resources), but after a crash, the Dom3 window opens or gets focused as if it tried to do something. If I shut the server down, I don't have these problems, but I'd rather keep the server running constantly so that other people on my network can play their turns when they want. Is there a way to run it as a dedicated server (no gfx), so that it won't interfere with other applications?

I've been looking at command line parameters but I can't find anything that seems to apply.
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowstar View Post
Is there a way to run it as a dedicated server (no gfx), so that it won't interfere with other applications?

I've been looking at command line parameters but I can't find anything that seems to apply.
Yes, there is an option for a dedicated server. You should read through the Linux Admining thread where different people presented their game server startup scripts; mine are there too. Although Windows does not have a command line shell that is as powerful as Bash from Linux, you probably will be able to reuse some of the information that is present in there. I've seen people post their Batch files for Windows for dedicated server hosting in here, too.

As for the command line parameters to Dom3, check http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Command_line_options
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dedicated Server?

I run almost 100 Dom3 games on my server (www.Dom3Minions.com) and I only do it in text mode.
The same I believe for the other most common server (www.LLamaServer.net)

The most basic switches you need are -S (server) and -T (text). You can also add in port number and map and era etc etc but if you dont then it will prompt you when it needs them (at least it does in Linux)

The biggest problem you will have with the scripts listed in the thread lch mentioned (good post) is that Windows has something like a 255 character limit on the command line. Some of the switches come in two flavors, --longname for linux and -X for Windows. That will help.

There is also another thread called "Changing Dom3 Defaults" which goes into switch use
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44262
its more for users than admins but it does cover windows and making shortcuts for various purposes
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; October 8th, 2011 at 10:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

you just don't need to use cmd in windows. Get cygwin and you'll have a bash and no significant line size limit for your commands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDiCesare For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Sergeant

Shadowstar is on a distinguished road

Thanks. With that info I was able to figure out how to set up the server. I can create the game using the graphical interface (it's easier that way), and then just run it using the textonly option. Thanks again!