.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Ibology > Approaching Infinity > After Action Reports

Old January 30th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Private

phanatic62 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: YASD: Yet Another Stupid Death

Ugh. Sector 23, in definitely my best game to date. Doing an away mission where my captain had to go. I had been more or less breezing through away missions, so I wasn't worried. Until, of course, I ran into one of the boss blob monsters. Normally not a problem, but within two turns I was surrounded by the mini blobs. No chance to even make a run for it. So disappointing. But the benefit is now I get to start a new game tonight!
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:36 AM

Corporal

Baldrick is on a distinguished road

I have had many of them. After some of them I decide to enter unexplored sectors above 15-20 with the cloaking device on. I always found a nasty ship trying to kill me (and succeding). Nevertheless last game, maybe the best I have had till now I entered sector 31 without it and found this sort of ship again. My weapons were not bad, but,..... The most painful was one in which I decided not makint the last tentaculons quest in order to explore a lot (instead of trying to acheive victory) and took another one... I continued exploring and in next sector I found death.

I am starting my second game in normal level to see haw far can I go. In my first I was making the tentacoulons quest line but decided to clean a sector of pirates and......something happened to the cloaking device, it deactivated suddenly (noidea at the moment but......

Anyway Im loving playing this game in perma-death mode. It is the first time i am playing a game this way.

The last similar games I played (Frontier: First encounters and Space Empires starfury) were not perma-death and even though it is more comfortable, in the end the perma-death makes me a bit careful and gets me to the game mechanics faster.

Having the pay it forward is also a bonus to accelerate the start of the game, unless you pilot an asteroid miner with a lot of money in sector 1 before reaching the station and you find 3 gruff ships hating you (this really sucks).
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:02 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Laugh Re: YASD: Yet Another Stupid Death

First game, first stupid death. I was doing quite well, I thought, with my random character (researcher, light explorer), making my way through sectors 0-2 learning how things work, and how to manage risk. Exploring some planets where there were mainly bunnies and a few carnivorous plants. Feeling very safe and using my captain on away missions. On my way back to the landing craft for air, I try to avoid poison plants but run into one.

Me: "Ok, I'll just stomp it a few times..."

Game: "Achievement unlocked: You should have listened to Riker."

Me

Wow, I let my caution down briefly and bam! Ok, cool. Time for a new captain...
Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:56 PM

Shock Re: YASD: Yet Another Stupid Death

Third game, second stupid death.

I was doing really well, I thought, having methodically worked my way up to about sector 40. 53.5k turns. My ship seemed to be up to any challenge, and my away team too, if we were reasonably careful, which I thought I was.

I started the game (after losing my first two to losing the captain on away teams) with the idea the captain would only go on safe away team missions, or when necessary. However I relaxed this policy, and then started regularly including everyone in order to get the most experience.

So my captain was exploring a cave level, just making sure I haven't missed anything on the level, and thinking to save a little time, I tried going around into the last unexplored area via a side with a known cave-in trap, which I set off on purpose... it caved in my path BEHIND me... and the dark area turned out to no contain any way forward, even through there was another path into it from the other side, it didn't connect.

No way to dig through the rubble... looks like we're all going to asphyxiate together.

Now I don't have to worry whether the next patch will be reverse-compatible with saved games, though...
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:09 PM

Fourth game; third stupid death:

I had wondered for a while why I never found the spatial anomaly I was told to investigate in sector 21. I'd looked for it a couple of times before. I went to look, and found it in a nebula surrounded by a mob of Tentaculon explorers, blocking access. So I shot one... not very carefully, and even after all the others fired at me, I tried to grab the anomaly and use the nebula to escape... bad move. I wasn't thinking straight. So I got shredded by a mob of angry scientists, and rightly so.
Old November 12th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Private

Saul is on a distinguished road

Excepting being beaten by my own curiosity (I know I shouldn't flip those Star Temples switches each time I die because of it), I encountered my first really uncalled-for death in my best game so far, in sector 17.

My brilliant captain and his staff of two officers were tasked, back in sector 15, with their first bounty hunting mission ever. Intrigued by the premise and pretty confident our miner ship was up to the task, we headed that way. After scouring the sector for a while, we met our target, the Valourous Adad, a refitted Vordalene scout that looked much larger now that she was right in front of us. Shots were fired and when the ship tried to escape through a nearby massive asteroid belt, we pursued her ; the fight was epic, both ships not missing a single shot despite the chaotic nature of our fighting field. Oh Adad was indeed valourous. The climax was upon us : both our ships' shields were down, it was now a matter of... *PLOP*
Our ship had disappeared bellow us, just like that, leaving us stranded in space.
Looking at the ship's log with our last breath of oxygen, we discover some opportunist merc hunter hailed us, the next second taking our then still healthily armoured ship out of existence with a weapon of a new type, all this out of our sensors' range.

At least, now I have a nemesis to hunt for in all of my future games (though I doubt I'll survive the next encounter either XD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIYASD 1.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	13997