.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How To Run a Game

I think that is a good idea. Yours has lots of useful stuff that mine doesn't have. I'm just worried that it makes organising a game look like a hard thing, when in fact it is really quite easy.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well I think that you and lch tend to take more of a hand in digging up games, players, ironing out the particulars than I do.

I was able to hold onto it thru Dom2, Dom3 beta-test, and early Dom3 but I finally kindof wore out and now Im trying to get others to take up those details.

Should I word this as more of how to run a game with me as host? Or do the other hosts feel its generic enough?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I admit that if you start organizing one it really goes sort of automatically.. this thread will speed things up..

once you talk to llama (for example) you usually hear everything you need to do involving him if it's your first time.. and the rest.. well... players tend to mention what you have forgotten anyway

anyway it seems good to sticky it somewhere and if you put llamas post above yours then it seems generic enough really
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:55 AM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I want host a game. It seems rather difficult. Is there a thread that is more detailed? A place that has a walkthru? Any help would great. Bwaha

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old July 12th, 2008, 01:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The manual has a pretty good section on it. Thats the best starting point. Most everything else tends to build on that in more detail.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, read the book, okay, got it. Bwaha

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Please, if you have specific questions later on, mention if you are Windows XP, Vista, Mac, or Linux. It really helps in getting better answers about hosting.
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:10 AM

Corporal

James243 is on a distinguished road

bump.

Can we make this a sticky? I seem to come looking for it reguarly, and am planning to start up a game in the near future - I daresay more others would do so with this very helpful thread easily accessible.

Cheers,

James.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Added comment:
I have discovered that in games of more than just a few people, when its going to run for awhile, the 24 hour setting can be a problem. Everytime someone wants the game stopped and restarted with some change then the counter starts counting at 24 again. People have asked "it was at 7 hours, can you change it to that" but then after it hosts at 7 hours the host has to stop it again and reset it to 24 hours. (this is for tcpip direct-connect games and not pbem games)

A setting of specific days and times can be easier to manage. Please consider something like "daily at 2am eastern" or "Mon, Wed, Fri"

Gandalf Parker
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Sergeant

hunt11 is on a distinguished road

thanks for making a general guide to hosting games, this will make setting up games a lot more efficient