.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old March 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road
Default Hunting tanks with popguns and large bore

Currently have a small camp of mobile rangers verses 1987 Russia. The only AFV/IFVs I have are a platoon of Sheridan's (5) and 6 Bradleys. I do have four ATGM teams and some law/flash/RR teams, but that's about it for anti tank.

Last night my troops were hunkered down in a large urban area watching a platoon or two of T-64 varients move towards them. I didn't think to check the HEAT armour on the things until after I launched a TOW at one that "bounced" off. I then realized that I didn't have anything that could punch through their frountal armour. Time for the flanks.

I was ultimately able to get four of the tanks with, what I thought was comical, unorthodox and miracleous tactics.

The first tank fell to a close assult by a two man scout team with a law to the flank. It's nice to see a 15 point unit take down a 300+. Gives me a nice warm feeling.

My Bradleys were in the thick of the buildings and so couldn't get range for their TOWs so I had them right up close, hoping their auto cannons could do some damange when a tank pulled up along side. Sure enough when the (new) lead tank came up, a bradley was able to blow of it's main gun. This, I'm sure is the only reason my Bradley survived. On my turn, I fired again, hoping to punch through the side armour. No luck, it just turned and fired it's machine guns. I moved a second bradley up to go a rear shot, but due to the buildings, couldn't get a dead on hot and ended up bouncing more shells off it's side. It turned again. The first one shot again - bounce! It turned. 2nd shot - bounce, no turn. I guess the driver got to dizzy. I bounced on more just for good measure and then moved a law armed scout team up and got the guy at 100m with the first shot. Yea!

Three fell after I flame rocketed the tank behind him twice, making it retreat, and then moved a bradley directly behind him and filled his engine full of 30mm holes. It appears that HE and fuel don't mix, much to my delight.

Four was to one of my Sheridans, overlooking an area the second was trying to move through. I love these little airborne tanks. there is something about having a piece of equipment that has laser sights on their artillary sized (165mm) armerment that just fills my heart with warm fuzzies. I got a top shot on the offending T-64 and brought down the house. I then of course booked it to hide again. This who battle is one of hide and seek for me. It's been great fun when they find me without meaning to.

Howard Tayer
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hunting tanks with popguns and large bore

If a tank has moved much at all & a platoon of autocannon IFVs opens up & hits it often suppresses so fire by it is highly inacurate or it cant. If it fires & they shoot again it is now most likely heavily suppressed, gauge the level & send in the troops for RPG shots or be a bit gamey & have all IFVs move up close for kill shots & target it. Even if they do not get a kill it will probably be retreating or routed & you can finnish it next turn barring other units causing problems.
If you have a more standard setup as in a company of IFVs supported by a platoon of tanks the IFVs will often save the day if your tanks miss by making his do like wise if you give a bit of thought to LOS.
In other than wide open terrain killing tanks with a combined IFV infantry attack is easily doable & if you managed to drop a bit of arty on it fates sealed, it can even be worth placing units to take rear shots at it if expect it to run.