Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > KE Studios > War Plan Pacific
Notices

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Private

OTGamer is on a distinguished road
Default Invasion Minimums?

I sent a couple of task forces to an island. I had two BB, a CA, and three CLs, and a landing force. Enemy had two CAs. During the engagement phase, the battle was never "resolved". When I checked the reports it showed the invasion as a failure with no damage to either side.

I take it the game has some kind of factor it uses to see if an invasion force even makes it to resolution?
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Invasion Minimums?

There is a small chance for an invasion to fail, but it happens, but not too often. You only need one transport, more will increase the chance of success, but transports are usually needed for other places, that you can't afford to use more than one.

The only thing I can think of that would result in a battle not being resolved, is if "Surface" combat wasn't maintained. If you use "Air" for combat, the ships never get close enough to an island to bombard or land landing craft.

Did you still have your transport at the end of the battle?
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
There is a small chance for an invasion to fail, but it happens, but not too often. You only need one transport, more will increase the chance of success, but transports are usually needed for other places, that you can't afford to use more than one.

The only thing I can think of that would result in a battle not being resolved, is if "Surface" combat wasn't maintained. If you use "Air" for combat, the ships never get close enough to an island to bombard or land landing craft.

Did you still have your transport at the end of the battle?
Yes.

This was a turn 1 invasion attempt of Tarawa.
BB Ise and BB Nagato and CL Tama from Home Islands.
CA Kako an CA Aobu from Marinas
CL Tenryu and CL Tatsuta and SNLF-3 from Kwajalin

CA Quincy and CA Vincennes showed up for allies.

I do not recall a resolution of the battle, but I did get a Battle Report. No damage to any ships (Japan or Allies). Message in Battle Report says: "Japanese Failed Invasion".
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Colonel

Ok. Since your transport survived, and you have a Battle Report, it sounds like you hit the 'Withdrawl' button. Transports never 'survive' for failed invasions once the transport actually gets to the island and the message "Troops Ashore" appears.
With only the two Allied ships defending, your transport would have gotten to the island as long as the 'Surface' attack button was used. Also, it's very unlikely that the two Allied ships would have survived against the IJN task force you had, in a Surface Battle.

It's possible that if the 'Air' attack button was used, that neither side would have gotten any damage, and the IJN ships would have withdrawn on their own. You must use the 'Surface' attack button each combat turn, to successfully invade an island, or as the defender, to try to destroy the landing craft.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Private

GeneralChaos is on a distinguished road

Santa came today and delivered my Xmas gift early. And he did it in a heavy snow storm which produced 14" of snow. What a crazy day today. So back to game....

I also I'm having a problem with invasions. I'm playing Japan. So on the 1st turn, I'm trying to invade 3 bases(Luzon, Leyte, and Wake) with the 3 transports available. I send the PH raid as set-up at start. Remaining Japan Home forces split between Wake and Leyte invasions. Split all ships in Formosa to Philippines Invasions. Basically, Marianas forces go to Leyte and Truk/Kwajalein forces go to Wake. Hit Go/Combat goes as follows....

1)PH raid(battle boards with normal results)
2)Luzon invasion(battle boards with invasion good)
3)Wake invasion (battle boards with invasion good)

Combat over / Turn ends

4?)Leyte invasion(no battle boards and I read in the battle reports on the next turn that the invasion failed.

So is there a rule I'm missing? I did read the rulebook(maybe too quickly?). Or maybe a bug?

Game is still fun. Good job!

GC

Last edited by GeneralChaos; December 19th, 2008 at 11:24 PM..
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM

Private

Wait, I found the issue. All the moves above, EXCEPT with the Japan Home Forces. PH raid is sent per setup, BUT remaining forces stay in port.

No combat/battle boards for Leyte even though IJN surface force with transport shows up on battle report with USN CA Houston. But no damage dealt and invasion fails.

Last edited by GeneralChaos; December 20th, 2008 at 01:15 AM..
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Colonel

hmmm...
I had someone else install the game on another computer and do similure 1st turn attacks. Leyte failed for him, also, but I just figured I missed seeing him apply the commands correctly. But I see some of you are expirencing the same problem.

So I did a clean install of the game on my computer and tried to duplicate it. I can't. I've tried the sequence (or at least close) to what GeneralChoas did, and some other variations.

If possible, could someone try again and confirm it does happen? I'll keep trying, also.
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Private

WallysWorld is on a distinguished road

Not being so lucky as the two of you in that I don't have the game yet, I had no problems taking Leyte with one landing force in the demo
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Private

I've tried to duplicate it, but the conditions may be dependent on what the computer does that turn. One common event seems to be that this occurs when allied CAs show up. GeneralChaos can chime in, but it might also correlate with no IJN air support (I didn't have any on my invasion failure). So part of the condition could be no IJN carriers and allied CA presence.

I don't think it needs to be Leyte. In my instance, it was Tarawa.

So, we shouldn't just be looking for a successful first turn invasion of these islands, but a successful first turn invasion without IJN carrier support and with the presence of allied CAs.
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM

Private

SIMPLE TEST. As Japan on Turn 1. Assign all Marianas forces to invade Leyte. Should be 4CAs and Transport. Then hit go. I believe every time I try it, the invasion fails with no battle boards and battle report shows no damage vs USN CA Houston.