.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road
Default Request: Settings or Mods?

I would be grateful to any of you for suggestions in helping me make my SP experience more enjoyable.
I realize that I am in the minority, and that this game really is all about MP, but for a number of reasons (time constraints, currenlty MPing with StarChamber, prefer armies to thugs, am not competetive enough, etc. etc.) I won't bore you with, I would like to continue to play Dom3 in SP, at least for now.

My "problem" is that I believe I can be enjoying it more. That sounds strange, let me rephrase: Almost everything I see about Dom3 appeals to me, and seems great in my imagination and "in theory". Yet I find myself not finishing most of the games I start. That's not bad in itself, but I am not finishing them because I find them to get less and less interesting, and in the end game, sometimes even tedious.

I think I can help clarify what I am looking for even more. I hope this helps:
- I like the "feel" of arrows flying and soldiers crouched in the thick of battle, peering to determine friend from foe: In other words, I simply don't like playing with SCs and Thugs very much, I want armies and troops to play a bigger role than commanders. For this reason, I usually turn "research" on "hard" to de-emphasisze magic and turn site frequency down to 30 or so.
- The further the game progresses and the less important troops become, the less interested I become. But usually, the further the game progresses, the more often it becomes "mopping up", and doing what I had been doing in the previous turns, only more so. For this reason, I try to play on smaller maps. Sadly, I think Parganos is the smallest one I know and like, the random small maps just don't "feel" right to me.
- I am currently playing with CBM (I think the 1.5 version) and Better AI mods, both of which I like. Anything else I should be using?
Basically, I am wondering if there are any tweaks to the settings, maps, or mods I can do to make my SP experience more "fun". I would be happy to answer more questions about what I am looking for, I guess I have not done a very good job of articulating what I mean....

thank you in advance for your help.