.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will there be a Dominions 4

Heehee.
I think that if JK and KO were the type of people to state that any action of the community irritated them then we would have heard such things long ago. The quotes are quotes. Read them however you want. They are likely to be about as clear on the subject as is going to happen in a public forum.

IMHO of course. (I get to do that now dont I?)

Gandalf Parker
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
JK: Is Gandalf just interpreting there, or was dom3 really somehow ruined for you by a handful of people complaining about certain things in the game?
Of course not, I'm quite happy with dom3. That things were better in the old times just comes naturally with old age, so don't take it too seriously.
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road

so johan, what would it take to let someone else make dom 4?
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Hahah. That's a bit rude isn't it?

I guess it's testament to what a great game they made that people are gung ho for a fourth one though.
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road

i don't mean to be rude, i simply seek an answer to the question. And the simplest way to get the answer is straight from the source. They aren't making dom 4 right now, and it's not clear they will ever make a dom 4, so there is a need to explore other options. Since it's still their game, it can only be made with their assent, so asking them what they would want for their assent seems the right action to take. It is quite open ended, as the variety of things people want in this world os quite vast indeed.
Zlefin
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan K View Post
Of course not, I'm quite happy with dom3. That things were better in the old times just comes naturally with old age, so don't take it too seriously.
Speaking of the good old days, its funny how the old games with bad graphics seemed so much better than most of the stuff on the market today. Aside from Dominions of course, I feel like PC gaming peaked with MOO2 and MMVI. Not sure if its just b/c things were so new back then or b/c I'm just an old codger who had to walk in a blizzard to school uphill both ways
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Private

weimaar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weimaar View Post
If the devs are not motivated by money, by what then could they be motivated then (other than need of course?)

What are the devs doing at the moment and what other than patching the game? Does anyone know? Any rumors out there?
In simplest form: This is not what the devs do to make money. This is what the devs make money (in the day jobs) in order to do (in their spare time).

This comes up alot. Over the years I have been amazed at the tactics used to try and motivate Illwinter. You are asking nicely but I have seen offers to help, downright bribes, challenges, name calling, disparagement of the product, logic, whining, inciting group rebellions, and veiled threats. Not overtly of course but things like "you will lose xxxxxxxx (money, fans, standing, credibility) and fail miserably".

I have often tried and tried to hint that the answers are available online but I saw the same people shoot themselves in the foot time and time again. Some fairly good ideas died I feel entirely due to the challenging way they were presented.

I probably had no problem since the philosophies of Illwinter are so close to my own. I posted frequently stressing the power of "please" and "thank you" in motivating those not driven by money. It did manage IMHO to get some projects moved forward.

I guess that I can now release my "secret file" on the subject. Its probably too late to save any Dom3 projects but maybe people will remember it and take a hint when it comes to asking for things in the next Illwinter project.
http://www.dom3minions.com/files/Dom3_Reasons.txt

Gandalf Parker
--
Some people spend so much effort making money that they seem to forget what it was they were making money for.
Gandalf, you are one wise man...especially that compiled txt file of yours. I was just about to ask what people had been wanting, "but wanting with force", and what the devs were responding, while reading your post. Thanks alot mate!

I read through the text file. Entirely in line with what I think as well...but I will continue to wish for a Dominion 4 every 6 months or so, if you guys allow me of course!

Last edited by weimaar; June 30th, 2009 at 07:01 PM..
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
Speaking of the good old days, its funny how the old games with bad graphics seemed so much better than most of the stuff on the market today. Aside from Dominions of course, I feel like PC gaming peaked with MOO2 and MMVI. Not sure if its just b/c things were so new back then or b/c I'm just an old codger who had to walk in a blizzard to school uphill both ways

Graphics aren't all that important, to me at least, if I like the game story and theme I'll like the game. That's why I still keep playing Lords of the Realm II or M.A.X. which are rather old games.

Most of the new games have little to offer, other than great graphics along with bigger system requirements that demand new computer parts.

MMVI? Would that be Might and Magic VI?
MOO2? Master of Orion?

Better to play a good game with bad graphics than a bad game with good graphics.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I just did a coiuple of weeks session of revisiting:
Diablo 2
Space Empires IV
Stars!

Now Im about to swing back to grab a couple of Dom3 games, return to the MUD I host (Shadowdale), and possibly return to the player-run Ultima Online world that I semi-host (Shazzys).

Considering present economic situations I love that some old games are so replayable.

Gandalf Parker
--
Get a life? No thanks. Just had one.
Im retired now and get to play games all day. (envy me)
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
MMVI? Would that be Might and Magic VI?
MOO2? Master of Orion?

Better to play a good game with bad graphics than a bad game with good graphics.

Yep - and I totally agree.