.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Global Spells

Whenever I have Staled, all the items I have tried to forge, and spells I have tried to cast have never happened.

HOWEVER, I have never cast a Global and then staled (well actually before this game I have never cast a global) which brings me to a few questions.

1. If I cast a Global that will overwrite another one (since all five are up) and then stale will my Global go ahead and cast?

2. IF it DOES go ahead and cast and overwrites another Global then I take it its a random slot that it takes as long as it has as many or more gems than the Global it takes...It WON'T always take the Global that has the LOWEST number of gems invested, it will look at ALL the spells that it has as many OR mor than and then pick one at random. (Is this correct)?

3. IF we roll back the turn then is thier a chance that it will take another Global with less gems involved.

What I am trying to say is we had a turn and 2 people staled...one of them that staled must have cast a Global the turn that he staled BUT it went ahead and took effect anyway when the turn hosted.

I must assume that he cast it with at least (according to the manual) the same amount of gems as the place it takes.

There are 2 small globals that I KNOW would not have many gems in as the effect of them would not warrent it and they where put up in the early mid game.

So I got the short end of the straw...Ok, it happens.

IF, they would roll back the turn (as I think they will argue they want to do) would that process RE-ROLL for the slot it takes?

It just seems funny that nothing else will complete if you stale but Globals will.

Any Suggestions?
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Sergeant

TheDemon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Global Spells

The only way that could have happened is if the turn before the stale, the player who cast the global cast it using the monthly command.

There's no way ANY orders of ANY sort happen during a stale turn. Nothing. Unless they were already queued in a previous turn, like overflow recruitment, or monthly rituals, or blood hunt/blood sacrifice/preach for example.

e: To clarify, the way it works is the client (player) compiles a .2h file containing that player's orders. The server is given the .2h file and checks if it corresponds to the current turn. If the server doesn't have a .2h file that corresponds to the current turn, when the timer runs down it generates the turn and assigns no orders, and gives the stale turn message. The server might have an old .2h file that corresponds to an older turn, but it won't use it, since it does check to see if the .2h corresponds to the right turn. In other words, having partial orders is impossible. Either the server got a current .2h and the player did not get the stale turn message, or the server did not get a current .2h, no orders were executed, and the player got the stale turn message.

Last edited by TheDemon; June 20th, 2009 at 09:43 PM..
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Are you certain he staled and didn't submit a partial turn?
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM

Sergeant

Revolution is on a distinguished road

My global went up, I did not stale. I cast Maelstrom and it randomly overwrote your well of misery.
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Fomoria had the Global go up Malelstrom has been up for a couple of turns
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Sergeant

Revolution is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
Fomoria had the Global go up Malelstrom has been up for a couple of turns
Nope...just put it up this turn, recheck your turn to confirm the spell description. Turn 59 Darkhavens, I have put up Maelstrom. I used to have it up a while ago, it was overwritten, put it up again this turn. Fomoria put up haunted forest a couple turns ago I believe.
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Your right