.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Favorite games

Yes, LSN looks to be real good. I loved X-Com.

Anyone here play MMORPG'S? If so I would recommend Perfect World. It is free but there are ways to spend plenty real life money if you desire. Caution! 1.2 gig download. I love the game but it requires more time than I have to give.

Otherwise some of my favorite games have been Panzer Campaigns, Hearts of Iron II, Gary Grigsby's American Civil War, and now I am playing the old boardgame monster turned computer game.....War in Europe. Also like Medieval: Total War

I never really got into fantasy games until Dominions.
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Private

RegnorVex is on a distinguished road

Guys, if you haven't tried Laser Squad Nemesis (LSN) then you're really missing out on one of the best TBS titles. I went back and took another look at it recently and I'm hooked solid (bought 3 subscriptions as gifts and we are having a blast with it). It's perfect for the more cerebral, busy crowd with its email-paced play and infinite subtlety. It's one of those chess-styled games that is very easy to learn but difficult to master (and there are a lot of masters out there playing in the uber tournaments regularly hosted). Great game and I obviously can't say enough about it.
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road

Regnor...I only downloaded the demo, but man you are right!! This is a fun game and I can see where a person could waste a whole lotta time playing this one!!!!
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:21 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Strange, I bought the game about 3 or 4 years ago and couldn't get into it at all - it seemed like the combat system was much simpler/worse than in the xcom series (particularly apocalypse).
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM

Private

Sombre, I had a similar reaction the first time I looked at LSN. But my first impression was approximately the same as dismissing chess because of the funny way that knights move. The first impression many people have of this game is the things that are *missing* from it. But after spending some time playing against much better players (and reading a couple of the more esoteric guides) I came to realize that there was a world of subtlety and nuance to the combat system that gives the game significant tactical and strategic depth. One of those rare games (like Dom) where your choices really make a difference.

Jimkehn, if you feel like playing a friendly noob game some time, send a Challenge to Regnor Vex (two words, spaced).
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:56 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Loved X-Com, don't like LSN.

Lacks atmosphere.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Private

Yeah, Xcom and LSN are very different games. It's probably not a good idea comparing them because it feels like comparing checkers and chess simply because they use the same gameboard. The games have the same developer and the artwork is similar, but that's about it. A game like Xcom is an experience, you against the AI and you are right, it is very atmospheric. I loved it and that was just one reason.

What I like about LSN is almost exactly what I like about chess: it's you vs. a human opponent in a game of tactics, strategy and wills. Like chess, it doesn't have much atmosphere and its appeal is defined almost solely by its gameplay. And of course, like any game, it won't appeal to everyone.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

I recently DL the 'orange box' from steam and love it. Portal is quirky and fun. Half Life 2 has excellent story-telling and an atmosphere unlike any I've experienced since System Shock 2. Team Fortress 2 is just, well, wacky, violent, and encourages team work . Make of that what you will.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Private

I'll second that vote for Portal. Talk about atmosphere, I still carry around the end theme song (Still Alive) on my iPod lol because it's so hilarious and brings back such fond memories.
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:04 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

"We were going to throw a huge party for you, and we were going to invite your friend the Companion Cube. But he couldn't make it. Because you killed him."

priceless