Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 9th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Corporal

Warnevada is on a distinguished road
Default Can't Fire

For some reason the vehicle can't fire at the Polish unit in the same hex. It has three shots and plenty of ammo. I didn't think MGs had a min range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can't Fire 3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	14098  
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can't Fire

There is no useful info in that screen shot. The quality is so poor it is virtually indecipherable . It tells me NOTHING. A save , on the other had WOULD be useful not only to us but to anyone else who may want to peek at this. I cannot even make out what the targeting unit IS so next time don't bother with a useless screen shot ...zip up a save and post it if you are stumped for an answer

Don
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Corporal

Steves308 is on a distinguished road

While I agree a save file would be more useful, I zoomed the screen in and it appears that the highlighted unit only has a machine gun in the 4th weapon's slot, which is the forward-firing only slot. You may have to turn the vehicle's facing until it can fire at the enemy unit. I've seen this before with units, they will fire their first 3 weapons at a unit in the same hex, but not the 4th weapon. I turn the vehicle facing a few different directions and at some point the 4th weapon will fire. Maybe try facing it to the bottom of the screen first? That seems to work for me most of the time.

Or move the unit one hex in any direction, face back toward the enemy unit, and then try firing
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If you can see details in that screenshot you're doing better that I but I agree it does look like only the 4th slot has shots left........still a save for something like this is SOP not a screenshot
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The original Steel panthers 1 when released did not allow you to enter an enemy held hex. Later it was allowed.

But combat in the same hex has always subsequently been squiffy, as the bearing routines were written assuming that at least 1 hex of distance separation would apply. Which if distance is zero - is not the case.

Thus you can go into combat in the same hex and get a frontal hit one shot, and then a rear hull the next. And this one (fixed arc bow weapons in slot 4) - seems to be another case of it getting confused at 0 range.

Its an edge condition, and you seem to have found a workaround.
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:45 PM

Corporal

Steves308 is on a distinguished road

Ah, that explains the odd results I would get in those same hex situations. I just figured I was going all "Fury" on my enemy and driving circles around him

But it's a non-issue for me, don't break the game trying to fix this!!!
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:51 PM

Corporal

More info: If the armor unit moves into a hex with an enemy unit it can't fire, but if an enemy unit moves into the armor unit's hex it can fire.

I've attached a save file. The unit in question is Russian unit H3. If a PW is needed, it's camp2.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Firing Bug.zip (191.2 KB, 106 views)
Old February 14th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Russian unit H3 eh ?............ I extracted this to the PBEM folder and opened it up using the camp2 PW so it's the correct game but Russian unit H3 does not exist...there was a H0 sniper but it's dead and the only Russian armour is L0, L1, L2 and W0, W1, W2 then there are Armoured cars X0,X1,X2 and Y0, Y1 and Y2 but you did say "armor unit " and you did say "The unit in question is Russian unit H3"

so maybe go back and check and tell me what you really want me to look at ??

FURTHER....... I did mange to get Russian L2 into the midst of a Polish squad that was nearby and once it was in the same hex as the Poles it could fire just as I expected it to....twice

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 14th, 2016 at 02:55 PM..
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:27 PM

Corporal

My apologies. It's F3, a Komsomolets. They're the ones with the issue, I haven't had a problem with the armored cars.
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well once again this is a vehicle with only a BMG and where it is in this save is nowhere near a Polish unit I can test it on so I built my own test with a couple dozen Komsomolets and went hunting for Poles------- unfortunately the Poles kept resisting my efforts to run them down and Komsomolets are easy to kill but I did finally get one to co-operate with the inevitable and found what Andy and Steves308 mentioned....that I needed to find the correct facing for the weapons to fire but they did fire.......not a "bug" the way I define a "bug" just something that once you know the quirk you work around it