The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default What Kind Of Games Would You Like To See Made?

What kind of games would you like to see made?

For me I would love to see a game that combines the eliminates of a space 4 x game into a earth conquest game. By that I mean you start the game in control of a region and, any place on any planet, and you must expand, exploit, exterminate, and explore the world. You use infantry, artilary, air, sea, and land power to do so. You must discover resources, cultivate resources, and manage them in order to keep your empire going. Now I AM NOT TALKING about games like Empire Earth or Age of Empires as those games are resource gathering games with small maps and for lack of a better term, are not empire building games but rather skirmish games.

The game I want to see is one where your playing area is the entire globe of a world. When you encounter an enemy you go into strategic or tactical combat much like you do in a 4x game.

Basically take the 4x concept and instead of being based in space, base it on a planet. (Random map generators keep the maps changing.)

Games like Civ3 and such are poor examples of what I mean. Civ3 was a well recieved game but it lacked the depth and game play that a good 4 x game like Space Empires 4 had. In the Civ games you plant a town, expand, plant a town, expand, etc etc etc. What fun is that? After a few turns you have control over the map, and are locked into an unbalanced and decidedly poor combat system with the AI. When musket men can defeat a modern day army, its time to quit the game and uninstall it.

The game I would like to see made would make combat real, more involving, and far more balanced. Your cities would grow with increased population, your economy would grow with the addition of more resources and taxes. You build up armies, airforces, and navy's to defend your territory. You see your troops, planes, tanks, and ships fighting, as you control their tactics and strategies.

I have played a lot of games that claim to be what I am looking for, but NONE of them are. Cross Empire Earth with SE IV, Dominions 2, and Civ 2, and you might come close.

Well any ways that is the game I would like to see made.
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Kind Of Games Would You Like To See Made?

Ever played Emperor of the Fading Suns? This is a combined ground/space strategy game though it doesn't have very much in the way of 'simulation' features. I agree that large "strategy" games would benefit from a proper inclusion of simulation features. MOO III tried, and failed miserably. I am hoping that SE V will move a few steps in this direction even if the ground combat module will not be much more complex than SE IV.
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Soldat32

Quote:
Baron Munchausen said:
Ever played Emperor of the Fading Suns? This is a combined ground/space strategy game though it doesn't have very much in the way of 'simulation' features.
I remember that game and just a few days ago I found it in one of my boxes with the manual.It was a great game for its time.Very detailed but short on graphics.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I would like to see a PbEM that makes the best use of being PbEM.

If a game is hosted off of my machine, and hosted once a day, then many things can be done differently. I wont care how long it takes to host. So I also wont care (or actually be thrilled) at how large the map is, how many units, how many players, and how many extreme randoms. Also how long the AI thinks when doing its turn.

The client can be graphical and run on windows or mac or whatever. But Id like the host to be able to run on linux, in text mode, with command-line switches. I would also like it to output game logs, scoreboards, graphs, etc in either text or png formats. That way the games can be easily interfaced to web sites.

The developer doesnt have to create a game that large. But if they created a game engine that was solid, and then allowed players to add to it then it would get that large. Support text files and png graphics for adding races, AI's, events, random scenery elements, etc.

So far the closest Ive seen were Dominions and Space Empires.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

a good napoleonic campaign game along with a civil war campaign game (grigsby is doing a civil war game but don't know how good it will be) however he is a good designer so hopefully it will be good

need good napoleonic game similiar to the total war type engine

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:00 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see a Civil War Game based on the Napoleonic Total War System. The entire Civil war map broken into areas or zones for conquest....

And an updated version of the old Star General Game or updated version of Colonial Conquest

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Corporal

Joe 98 is on a distinguished road

There was once a board game named Patrol!

There was once a computer game named Close Combat.

Take the major concepts of Patrol! but play it top-down-2D in continous time like Close Combat.

If you are not aware of the basic concept of Patrol! I can explain.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:08 AM

Soldat32

Quote:
Joe 98 said:
There was once a board game named Patrol!

There was once a computer game named Close Combat.

Take the major concepts of Patrol! but play it top-down-2D in continous time like Close Combat.

If you are not aware of the basic concept of Patrol! I can explain.
Patrol you say?Boy thats an oldie.I still have that board game as well as the Original Sniper! unpunched and its TSR rereleases.LOL Those were all great games for sure.

As for myself Id love to see a Squad Leader or ASL game done in the vietnam theme.Before AH kicked the bucket I was so looking forward to a Korean or Vietnam era version with the same SL/ASL mechanics but it never happened.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road

Mmmmhhh "Close Combat 2: A bridge too far" is the best game ever

Hey Soldat32 take a look at this game, maybe it is what you are searching for!

Mark H. Walker's Lock 'N Load

Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM

Soldat32

Quote:
FJ_MD said:
Mmmmhhh "Close Combat 2: A bridge too far" is the best game ever

Hey Soldat32 take a look at this game, maybe it is what you are searching for!

Mark H. Walker's Lock 'N Load

Yes Ive seen this game since its first announcement on the net.I just hope it spawns a huge load of expansions.Does it include chopper operations?I once read that it didnt at the time.I see a crashed helo counter on the link so maybe they are included now?The game sure does have promise.Be nice to see this game simulate large scale battles like Lz X-Ray or the battle of Wei eventually.I must admit I love large amounts of colorful counters with nice graphics of troops,weapons,and vechicles on them.