.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Private

ExHeretic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Artifact Tier List

I was already bit wondering how you came up with so good list It feels too well balanced and objective to be made by one person. But there was explanation behind it

Yes i mean linking every artifact. No i would not do it my self

I think the status of the sicle depends on the farming question. If you can farm with it then its t1 if not down it goes. On my list atleast.

The lamp might be at the right place in the top of tier 2. I mean i would make it right after most of the t1 stuff.

I would still swich places for aurgelmer and soulstone. Im not huge fan of overtax strategies and on battlefield those wolfs are pretty bad. Aurgelmer still gives that 50% protection from everything at turn 1. Its benefit will ofcource go down with time when the SC's start to dominate the game. But as long as there is armies that huge protection benefit stays.

I think you are right about amon hoteph and tome of gaia. Good arguments for both

I was not aware of the nerf on Life after death. I guess it has something to do with free undead chaff and reseach Anyway that nerf moves ankh down to t4 or even t5 and rain of stones up to t1

If twin spears are only good with rudra then that makes them bit niche right?

Storm is very often cast in battles by many nations.

The smaller stuff at the bottom is mostly at right place i just wanted to point out they are not so bad and have uses too. Im trying to say they have good price/value ratio.

Anyway these are just my personal opinions and can/should be ignored anyway
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

btw, Maer was kind enough to add this to the wiki, with links to each artifact's page for easy access.
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:35 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Now if only he could do this for regular magic items as well...

(what, me, a greedy lazy bum ? Why the very idea !)
Old December 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM

BANNED USER

TheConway is on a distinguished road

I sort of considered it, and there's no telling what we'll get up to in the future if we get bored, but tbh there are a ****ton of items. I was shocked to discover that there were 72 artifacts, I don't even want to think about all the other items...
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

Plus with many of the other items, there are so many more situations to cover. A Starshine Skullcap might be great for Arco, but is useless to a nation without astral.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:50 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Plus with many of the other items, there are so many more situations to cover. A Starshine Skullcap might be great for Arco, but is useless to a nation without astral.
One could make a giant table to account for that. Nations by Items, with a usefulness score in each cell. The downside being the completely ludicrous amount of work.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:59 AM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

Indeed. I would hesitate to call Priestyman's post a "guide," as it provides little guidance. Index might be a better term. A short description of the more important artifacts would work wonders. As it is, telling a newb the Chalice is a game changer without also telling them about the utility of Tartarians doesn't help them any. Instead, they just get an item that seems inferior to a global that does the same only more and in every province!

Edit: Seems like somebody needs to work on a Better Know an Artifact segment!
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

When I noticed this list got posted to the wiki, I decided to follow my own advice. You can see my work here: http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Artifact_Hints .

I added descriptions to all Tier-1 through Tier-3 artifacts. I also combined Tiers 2 and 3 and then divided them into 3 sections: Important boosters, Important gear for SC's, and Miscellaneous. I rely on descriptions to provide context for relative worth and usefulness. Tiers 4 and 5 were given humorous renames, but no descriptions. Finally, I got rid of all CBM changes to match the rest of the wiki. I included a place for the significant changes done by the latest flavor, but I am not going to be writing it.

Edit: Comments welcome, as our pointing out mistakes. I double checked the entire list, but these things do happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to OmikronWarrior For This Useful Post:
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM

Corporal

DeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

What would probably be most useful is that if you have any tips to share about an artifact, just put them in that artifact's particular entry.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:52 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

I'm actually kind of offended that you altered our page so radically. i'll probably be asking maer to help me edit it back to where it was in some cases. its our work. It was clearly stated that we wrote it with CBM 1.71 in mind. if you want to make your own page for vanilla thats cool. I appriciate the descriptions, but your tone in the article is pretty grating.