.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road
Default Off Topic: Mount and Blade review on Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/mount...de/review.html

I figure some of you will be interested in seeing how the corporate machine treats the game.

Last edited by sector24; September 23rd, 2008 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Added "Off Topic" to the front
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mount and Blade review on Gamespot

I was just looking at this game on Metacritic - what do people here think of it?
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM

Corporal

JaghataiKhan is on a distinguished road

Our Turkish Gaming pride will live in our hearts forever, regardless of what people say...

Although even the fat corporations respect the awesome combat system. As for the need of a storyline, apparently the average consumer WANTS to be fed a story. Imagine your own, console kids!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

It's an ok game. I don't get why people go so nuts over it when the ai is horrible and the combat system actually isn't deep at all. It mostly involves running backwards while timing basic swings.

I enjoyed the LOTR mod for it and played for several weeks. This was about a year ago, maybe more. I tried it again fairly recently and it has hardly changed.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaghataiKhan View Post
Our Turkish Gaming pride will live in
As for the need of a storyline, apparently the average consumer WANTS to be fed a story. Imagine your own, console kids!
By the way I find this post ridiculous.

If you're that into imagination, why play a computer game at all? Imagine your own adventure! Pretending that the lack of story is a /feature/,.... wow.

As for the swipe at console gamers, I am principally a console gamer myself and I don't like your attitude.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM

Corporal

JaghataiKhan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
Quote:
Our Turkish Gaming pride will live in
As for the need of a storyline, apparently the average consumer WANTS to be fed a story. Imagine your own, console kids!
By the way I find this post ridiculous.

If you're that into imagination, why play a computer game at all? Imagine your own adventure! Pretending that the lack of story is a /feature/,.... wow.

As for the swipe at console gamers, I am principally a console gamer myself and I don't like your attitude.
You are free to like or dislike, but the Taleworlds always insisted that they intended a sandbox game, I forgot saying that. I have been in the forums all the time, talked to Armagan, the maker of the game and moderated the forums for a while. These game reviewers simply expect an Oblivion to fulfill their wishes, they measure the quality of a VW beetle amongst a race of Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

As for console games. They are merely button-mashing madness that have very little principle in the kernel of the design, but merely "make combos, strike the enemy before you get hit, avoid getting hit and slash" combat. Maybe it is me that grew up with intense details of Xcom series, Champion of Krynn,Simcity, playing Ports of call when 9 years old, spending hours to manage a transport company that may not be for a 9 year old. I resent consoles for that, as I every game I played from a console was same to me, Legacy of Kain,Devil May cry,Shinobi or God of War. Not to mention copycat hordes of Japanese RPG's with all look alike designs and all the flashy animations.

Not that I dislike Legacy of Kain's design, but the whole series was a boring grind of combos and jumps.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

The Gamespot review (in my opinion) is way off base. Mount & Blade is extremely addictive and I bought it shortly after trying the demo run. It has some very original concepts and was a much needed break from the typical RPG and FPS templates. The reviewer comments on how ugly the game's graphics are, while I found myself thinking how beautiful and detailed it was.

BTW Sector24:
You should preface your topic with "OT" (Off Topic)
Thanks!
Map Forge - Map editor
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
As for console games. They are merely button-mashing madness that have very little principle in the kernel of the design, but merely "make combos, strike the enemy before you get hit, avoid getting hit and slash" combat. Maybe it is me that grew up with intense details of Xcom series, Champion of Krynn,Simcity, playing Ports of call when 9 years old, spending hours to manage a transport company that may not be for a 9 year old. I resent consoles for that, as I every game I played from a console was same to me, Legacy of Kain,Devil May cry,Shinobi or God of War. Not to mention copycat hordes of Japanese RPG's with all look alike designs and all the flashy animations.

Not that I dislike Legacy of Kain's design, but the whole series was a boring grind of combos and jumps.
The games you mentioned are similar because they are all in the same genre. I would think that's obvious. It's like playing age of wonders, dom3, heroes of might and magic and warlords and saying all PC games have basic graphics, are turn based, contain zero action and have rubbish stories. The very first thing you said about them makes it pretty clear you have virtually no knowledge of console games and will continue making baseless generalisations. So I'm not going to argue with you.

Last edited by Sombre; September 23rd, 2008 at 01:57 PM..
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
It's an ok game. I don't get why people go so nuts over it when the ai is horrible and the combat system actually isn't deep at all. It mostly involves running backwards while timing basic swings.
Lies, the combat is awesome

I study European swordplay (the hand-and-half longsword), and M&B is the only game where swordplay actually feels like swordplay at all.

Also fighting from horseback is wicked cool, and no other game let's you do that. Maybe you have the AI setting on too low? Put realism to 100% and play in first person mode, it's a rush!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM

BANNED USER

I played on the highest difficulty levels. I didn't find the combat deep at all. Basically invest in athletics and run backwards in circles while all the enemies chase after you. Of course that being lame, I didn't fight that way, but it was still just block, swing, block swing, much like oblivion. Horseback was good and the big battles were a lot of fun though. It's definitely a strong point of the game, but it's far from deep or realistic. Most 1 on many fights are like a benny hill sketch.