.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 5th, 2010, 11:04 PM

Sergeant

GameExtremist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA: Vanilla, Newbie game [GOOD AGAIN!]

I'm happy for Astyreal to go in for Lanka. Can you just sub in and take over without a rollback?

A rollback wouldn't bother me as nothing particularly major happened last turn...Helheim and Vanheim....hmmm they might disagree.
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Corporal

John_Madlock is on a distinguished road

Yeah, in the last round I made quite a big mistake, and I lost an important battle with Helheim (matter of settings and commands in battle). Hey GE how do you know such a thing? XD
I promise that I will try to repeat everything the same as it was.

Hey, technically I have all the old orders in my email, maybe it solves the problem of rollback?

Last edited by John_Madlock; April 6th, 2010 at 04:07 AM..
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Corporal

Num is on a distinguished road

I obviously do not care about a rollback, as I have stale the last two turns...
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Corporal

Astyreal is on a distinguished road

i'll wait for helheim and vanheim to chime in.
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Corporal

On second thought I am a bit reluctant to do it because if there were important battles, I don't want to mess with things. Sounds like the rollback stands a good chance of being a big mess.
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Sergeant

GameExtremist is on a distinguished road

Well not really, there is no way Helheim can come back from where it is against Vanheim (not the current players fault - he was dealt a rough hand when he subbed in). Put bluntly Vanheim has a huge advantage in almost every way and all it will do is shorten or lengthen the time in which Helheim will be vanquished.

If the unthinkable should happen and Helheim beats Vanheim back...well I have large and experienced armies ready to thank Helheim for their non-assistance in our war with Hinnom.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road

I believe we would have to go back two turns to retrieve Lanka as a playable nation. I am only willing to do this if we have unanimous consent. I was at war with Lanka, and would prefer to have continued our war. When he announced that he was going AI, I did something really, really stoopid. I have come to accept it and play on. I know that in time, I will probably (barring future stupidity) have the most to gain from his going AI, so if everyone else wants to do it, I would certainly rather have a real player controlling the demons. But, if we roll back, I will use that turn minus the stupid move. It was really stupid, but was only done because my opponent was going AI.

Astyreal, I wish there was an easy way to get you back into this. Lanka is in a strong enough position to be playable. Can you turn off quickhost until this is decided?
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM

Corporal

You know what, I am going to pass. It's just too complicated, and seems it will introduce as many problems as it solves.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road

Everyone's gone kinda quiet on this, so I guess it's no longer a possibility. This is a newbie game, and in that spirit I will try to give a DAR (as they're calling it in tophats) so any who read this will understand my old position (I no longer claim the right to change my turn if we rollback).

Tien Ch'i and Lanka had peace for the early stages of development, and a NAP, which was ended according to proper form around turn 20. We asked the demons to reconsider, but they said they were hungry. We advised them that, after eating us, they would only be hungry again in an hour, but they would not be deterred.

A seemingly endless string of losses followed, and the proud Empire of the East was desperate. The sacred, regenerating demons were large and indeed very hungry. Finally, at the end of our string, two things happened.

1) Our god broke free, reinvigorating our defense of our cap, and

2) Our generals learned something called a communion. Lots of mages working together to cast spells that are far more powerful than than simply casting them in succession would be.

Few demons crawled away from the epic battle at our capital that day. And in the next few months, a series of victories followed, on two fronts. As our main communion army (under the command of our god, Gan Ning) rested and studied on our side of the bridge to Lanka, awaiting the ground troops who would be there in one month to begin the invasion, we received word that the demon leadership was about to commit some odd suicide pact.

Furious that he was being robbed of the victory he believed he had earned, Gan Ning, several immortal heroes (immortal on this side of the bridge), and a bunch of communion mages said f*** this, and charged the demon army on the other side of the bridge. Before his top advisors got home from work to try and change his mind, the turn had hosted.

The leaderless demons are already hungry again.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue of rolling back anymore. Lanka should probably have a player, since I'm sure I can rebuild most of my army, call back my god, and so on. But this game which was so fun just a few turns ago, is a mess for me now. I still want to thank Humakty for forcing me to learn communions, and I will continue to play.

Sorry for taking up so much time, it won't happen again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stagger Lee For This Useful Post:
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

@Stagger Lee : Well, the fight was very fun for me too. It happens I scripted tons of stuff before going AI, which probably helped the AI a little. (mostly tons of summons !) Overall you learnt me TC is a very bad target for mid game warring !

@all : I went AI for several reasons, mostly very personnal ones I wont expose here, but also because the pace of PBEM games tends not to fit with what I like (really too slow).

The way people reacted make me think that I should have stalled, which is stupid, because the AI actually plays its turns (and I guess it will use my kitted thug, and my mages already recruited), even if in a non optimal way. Stagger Lee would already be sitting in my cap if I had stalled for two or more turns. Finding a sub can take some time, and I really couldn't play in the meanwhile.

So I'm not going AI because of a bad position (actually I went to war because I was in a bad position !), I have no other games ongoing and probably won't ever partake in another PBEM game. Especially looking at the reactions of some guys around here. (I knew I should have corrupted some of you with gems, just so that you wouldn't come crying).

Actually a guy replacing me would have found an effective demon factory, but not much more due to bad choices in the first 20 turns (my bless was a bit too mild too, I wanted average scales, which is stupid with a sacred troop strategy, as you can't buff troops as you do with thugs), and it would have required an experienced player to turn the tides of the war once more. The only good point being the impressive gem income, but I lacked mages and research to exploit it in the very short delay I had.

I swear I haven't helped anyone in any way, be it with gems/gold/whatever.

Senior member of the GLIN !