Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Night of the Long Knives? - Page 12 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM

Sergeant

SciencePro is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
ROFL, cuz septimus severus,and Kuritza are "respected members of this forum."
well forum moderating is a subjective business so there is no way to be totally consistent. But I think for the most part people behave themselves or are met with measured responses. Just because one person may have overreacted one time doesn't mean the whole system is broken.

And I wouldn't use Kuritza as an example. He quit back in January and has only made one post since.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

Though a lot of posts of users are not always very mature (but what you would expect from those who play games?), sometimes childish and aggressive, and mod's replies are more structured, when someone whose friend was hit buy a big club is screaming, it worth sympathy. He has no club, and it is natural not to love those who have and who find ways to justify use of it instead of finding all means to forget about it.

I believe forum needs admins who can rule with sense of humor and charisma rather than headcutters armed with ability to cast bans and terror. It's a community, not an army.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

It was a hammer, not a club. Clubs are for seals, hammers are for trolls.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

"-10 points oh noes"
'[the penalty] means as much to me as forgetting to buy milk at the grocery store.'
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
This is exactly the problem, Baalz. Sombre was granted extra leeway because of his history here. His ban didn't come out of the blue, and I'm sure he would agree. I'm certain he knew it was coming. Because we were lenient with him, there is not a record for you all to see. It's a Catch 22...I'm hearing we should be willing to bend the rules because of his contributions, but I've created an uproar because I allowed the rules to be bent.
This is entirely believable, and I have no reason to doubt it. I think the big issue here would be: Was sombre aware that he was near a permanent ban because of a history of infractions, even if he wasn't penalized for them? I mean, the stated forum 'justice' system serves two purposes - to punish misdeeds and to warn abusers that they are getting closer to more serious consequences. Permanent ban without appropriate forewarning would be a little harsh.

I am only aware of the recent PM exchange Sombre was involved with, so I don't know anything about a history of mod-Sombre interactions.

Quote:
I'm not sure what lesson we'll take from this. Will we bend the rules again for someone who has contributed greatly over a long period of time? Probably. Will that person then ignore our requests to play nice with others? Hopefully not.
If some members of the community are being treated specially, they should still be duly warned even if they don't actually receive the penalties. Knowing how close more severe penalties are is a disincentive to committing additional violations. (And if they don't care, then they shouldn't care when the banhammer does come down).

Possibly also keep a 'shadow-record' so you have something to show for it.

Edit: Finally, I don't think showing disrespect for the rules in private PMs should be construed as a violation of the ToS or reasons for disciplinary action since (1) it isn't a violation of the posted ToS and (2) saying something and doing something are two very different beasts.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squirrelloid For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Lama View Post
annette you didn't bend the rules. you simply broke them. its that simple. basically you're simply lying to us. and i think about 50% of the anger isn't so much about him being banned anymore. its that we see ourselves being blatantly lied to. answer us. why didn't you follow your own rules to try and remedy the "continual problem"
I take your accusation of lying to you very seriously. What have I lied about? I posted earlier why I exercised our right to circumvent the infraction system.

Trumanator, the reports go to the private moderator's forum. I said there is not evidence that YOU can see.
Well the blatant lying that i see is when you say that he was bad enough to cause you to escalate. yeah you can give us hints about your secret caches of evidence, but we know what sombre actually said in the pm's that got him banned.

and basically you are lying when you say that he refused to follow your rules. he just said he could care less about the 10-point infraction. nothing about him not caring about your rules, and nothing that would indicate that a temp ban would be totally ineffective.

"-10 points oh noes"
'[the penalty] means as much to me as forgetting to buy milk at the grocery store.'
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

If I reported people's posts every time they pissed me off... well, in the future no more words, since apparently those count less than clicking on forum widgets.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
People...the moderators had a lot of 'reports' concerning Sombre's posts, by forum members, not moderators. Most, if not all of those who made those reports, are also long standing and respected members of this forum. And in some of the reports, it wasn't against the person who made the report, but "for" someone else, especially for the newer people.
ROFL, cuz septimus severus,and Kuritza are "respected members of this forum." Besides, you and Annette are now giving conflicting stories. She just said that there isn't any actual evidence because you guys were supposedly treating sombre w/kid gloves, and now you're saying that there were a lot of reports? Try coordinating before trying to lie to your forumgoers.
Way to jump on forum members who have never been named until this post. So much for the community.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

What is the -10 point thing anyway? Is there a way we can check this in our profile?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:51 PM

BANNED USER

nope. its more of the super secret forum justice system. when you get to 100 you get permabanned.
Closed Thread