.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 1st, 2008, 02:48 AM

Private

charshep is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small games available (Blitz, CBM and Allied AI's)

Doh! Wrong patch version.
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charshep View Post
Bump. No one has any advice about my problem? I feel like it's something really obvious that I'm missing but I'm not sure what it is.
I thought that was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch.
Or maybe its fixed for me because I switched my screen size to a more default setting.

But before then I would play cat and mouse with the start button. Trying to scroll down and click start at the same time. Having a scroll wheel helped but maybe the downarrow and mouse together can do the same thing. It took me a few tries but eventually I did get the game started.

Or you can always join first, then wait for someone else to join and start it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Update:
The first post has been updated to reflect the Chaos games. The are popular and I will keep them on the lists altho I might do some updates to the program which generates them.

I might drop the CBM games since they dont appear to be very popular

More new games are in the works. Such as:

A program which randomly generates entirely new nations you can play against for each new game.

Musical Chairs Blitzes (the last player to turn in their turn always stales)

Scenario Games for players-vs-alliedAIs (Mother Nature is pissed, Ermor Established, Crunch Time, we forgot to worry about the Independents)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 7th, 2008 at 07:00 PM..
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If anyone wants to run a mid-sized or large game I am willing to host it with lots of extras.

Also the Dom3Minions site is being changed. Nerfix did a great job creating the old one but this sloppy version of mine is just easier for me to update. It doesnt slow down my projects.
http://www.Dom3Minions.com
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Gandalf,

I really like the chaos games, but something strange happened in one I played today: the god of Special Monsters (one of the two) was vanquished. Not sure what effect that would have had on the game because I only played a dozen turns, but I thought that might be a sort of bug.

Also, I patrolled my capital on turn 1 at 150%, and on turn 2 had ~75 unrest. It seemed very unlikely that this was a random number generation outcome...Do you overlay capitals with hidden magic sites (my guess was that a hidden unrest-causing site contributed to it)?

All in all, I love the chaos games. Facing 5 Lords of Rebirth backed by 15 copies of the same unique hero can be strange sometimes, but definitely a blast.

Cheers,
cleveland
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The Special Monsters (both of them) are just AIs with the rest.
They get a randomly placed home, a castle, a god, and do the same AI things that the other AI nations do. And they work their way across the board.

What they toss into the game is the ability to blend with the independents. They get the same white banner as indepts so it seems as if the independent province next to you suddenly decides to attack you.

If they die its no big deal. Having the Independent nation in the game as an AI isnt working very well. They basically dissapear on turn one. That leaves behind a castle with large population that is basically free to grab (not as much as it used to be, but still not hard to get). I might take that one out and beef up the special monsters.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

So far it seems as though the CBM games get hardly any activity compared to the other games. Im probably going to take that down to make room for some other variation.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK the latest effort has proven that some people do seem to enjoy the CBm games so that group of games has won a reprieve.

The web site has included a consolidated games page off of the main menu. At the Dom3minions.com web site, clicking on "Hosted Games" leads to this page.
(dont laugh too hard. Its only a temp page )
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm

Most of the Chaos games were reset today to allow for a new version.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 30th, 2008 at 12:36 AM..
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Gandalf,

I tried to sign up for a few of the games. I wasnt' able to at all.. no contact with server.
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Note that new games have been added to the server.
Players vs AIs. Three AIs are randomly selected and placed into the game allied with each other. They will not attack each other, only the human players. You can play singly against them. Or start a game with other human players and ally against the AIs. The game allows 1 to 4 human players along with the 3 AIs on a randomly generated 80 province map.

This is a good way for newbies to break into multiplaying. You can get used to the way such games run, and the messaging, the dealing, etc without feeling like a lamb in a lions den.

Gandalf Parker
By the way, how do you set up the AIs as allies?