BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Private

embis is on a distinguished road
Default What are your most hated \"Gamey\" Tactics

I hate facing an army consisting of 10's of size "0" snipers that pop up in the last turn and take all the victory hexes!

A "rallied" crew leading a charge in a suicidal dash to expose my positions. (I really hate that, You just crawled out of a brewed up tank and the CO say, "great, you lot can lead the assault"

(also posted at SZO Steel Panthers Forum)
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are your most hated \"Gamey\" Tactics

Quote:
embis said:
I hate facing an army consisting of 10's of size "0" snipers that pop up in the last turn and take all the victory hexes!

A "rallied" crew leading a charge in a suicidal dash to expose my positions. (I really hate that, You just crawled out of a brewed up tank and the CO say, "great, you lot can lead the assault"

(also posted at SZO Steel Panthers Forum)
The best way to avoid gamey tactics is to avoid playing against gamey players, as they tend to be the ones that use ahistoric force mixes, gamey tactics etc. Or, they may simply be clueles about real military force mixes?.

(non competitive) PBEM really is about finding a set of players you find comfortable to play against. Be prepared to stop playing against folk whose "style" grates, such as gamey players, or those who regularly ignore the agreed terms (like force balance as discussed in another thread). Some such players may simply be ignorant of correct military organisation and tactics, perhaps kids more used to click and twitch "Real Time Strategy" (sic) clickfest games?, and so perhaps be open to being "educated", and so can learn to play "realistically".

In competetive PBEM - ensure the organisers have a list of dos and dont's and that players who ignore these do get initially warned and then removed if they do not shape up is probably best.

Cheers
Andy
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:15 PM

Sergeant

Listy is on a distinguished road

I must stick my hands up to one silly game, although I've known the guy I was playing for years, we first started out PBEM games on the MkI SP..

as a Joke I did an Airdrop, with a Challenger 1 being kicked out the back of a Hercles...
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Corporal

MacGalin is on a distinguished road

What about laying massive suppresion fire on defenders, then driving APCs to adjacent(is that the right word?) hex, or even the hex occupied by defenders, and immediately asaulting with infantry? Is that considered gamey?
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
MacGalin said:
What about laying massive suppresion fire on defenders, then driving APCs to adjacent(is that the right word?) hex, or even the hex occupied by defenders, and immediately asaulting with infantry? Is that considered gamey?

No that's the way Koevoet operated. The cars open fire on the target with everything they carried, and if you've ever just seen pix of Koevoet in action, that's a hang of a lot, and come in close. Then they leap down from the cars, Casspirs or Wolf Turbos, and go in close with R-5s grenades and everything else. The shock of getting that much fire from so close usually made the Swaps bombshell or surrender.

With Koevoet type vehicles, that is NOT recommended against tanks.

troopie
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
MacGalin said:

No, that's considered a mech infantry assault. Suppressing your enemy then moving in for the kill is SOP.

What used to be "gamey" was players who would do that then hop back in their APC's and pull back afterward. With the changes to the loading/unloading code that's now pretty much impossible

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road

Ask the Chechens in Grozny how to get the upper hand against mech infantry and tanks attacks! Poor Russian soldier and tankers....

Old August 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Corporal

MacGalin is on a distinguished road

Heh, I thought so, but one time my opponent called me a cheater for doing that, so i just wanted to be sure . Besides, loading the units up and driving away was stupid, and led to much higher loses - i checked that agains the AI. Good that now it's impossibe.
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Private

Dan_UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Listy said:
I must stick my hands up to one silly game, although I've known the guy I was playing for years, we first started out PBEM games on the MkI SP..

as a Joke I did an Airdrop, with a Challenger 1 being kicked out the back of a Hercles...
Darn sneaky of you it was too
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:35 AM

Private

IanWilliams is on a distinguished road

Versus the AI on the defense I often use the flamethrowers or m202 flash rockets as "perma-smoke" against an oppenent lacking TI.

Is this "gamey" or a legit tatic?

Ian