.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Corporal

Gurthang is on a distinguished road
Default Fortresses and garrisons in water provinces

I would like to understand what nations can build fortresses and raise garrisons in water provinces.

I never played maritime nations, so I suppose they are the only ones enabled to it. Is that correct, and is there any way an ordinary, earth-based nation can do the same?
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fortresses and garrisons in water provinces

Jomon can build sea based defenses and pd.
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Corporal

Gurthang is on a distinguished road

Yes, but what about ordinary earth-based nations? Is there any way they can build underwater fortresses?
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM

First Lieutenant

Anaconda is on a distinguished road

Jomon classifies as an ordinary E-based nation, does he not? Was it EA Agartha who can build UWPD also? iirc everyone can build UW forts...

Anaconda blogi: voimasta _ ja _ kunniasta
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:55 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

i suppose the question is, if you are a land nation, what good are they? i can see temples/labs, but if you are ulm for instance, what good is a fortress? most underwater units require gold not resources.

i suppose they'd still be good for defense.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:47 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parone View Post
i suppose the question is, if you are a land nation, what good are they? i can see temples/labs, but if you are ulm for instance, what good is a fortress? most underwater units require gold not resources.

i suppose they'd still be good for defense.
I guess an underwater castle may stop some rituals, like fires from afar. What about rain of toads?

Is the cost of an underwater castle with commanders wearing forged items worth it? Probably situational at best.
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:40 AM

First Lieutenant

Anaconda is on a distinguished road

Can one cast Fires from Afar on UW province?

Anaconda blogi: voimasta _ ja _ kunniasta
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Most land nations cannot purchase PD or construct forts in the water, but there are a couple of options for getting one. The cheap but unreliable method is searching for N sites, as one of the magic sites spawns a free fortress. The expensive option is to cast a spell (Living Fortress I believe, but don't quote me on that.) It's something like 40N to cast though, plus you have to have the spell researched, and I think you might have to have your mage underwater to cast it to boot.

Forts don't tend to interact with rituals unless the rituals attack the province, like Ghost Riders.

Underwater forts for land nations are pretty much only good for defence. Resources in the water suck, UW fort admin values suck, and the recruitables in the water also pretty much suck, and of course you can't recruit any national units down there as a land nation. That being said, there are some rituals that can only be cast in an underwater lab, so having one fort in the water is often handy. (A lot of remote spells can't be cast on an UW province, but that's pretty niche.)

Hope that helps.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM

Corporal

Hrum is on a distinguished road

Searching for N sites is decent advice, but if you're playing with one of the more recent CBM builds I think the Kelp Fortresses may've been made less common.

Does anyone know if the blood spell Three Red Seconds works on underwater provinces? That's potentially another way you could get an UW fort.

Have you messed around with the more recent CBM builds Micah? Haven't seen you around on the forums in a while. Have you returned to defend / pad your position atop the HoF?
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:40 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

3RS I am almost certain does not work, and I am less certain but still pretty sure that the Earth spell that makes a fort also doesn't work in the water.

Good point about the forts being less common now in CBM. I recall QM talking about changing that, but didn't play any games with it implemented.

I haven't touched the game or the mods or the forums for a while now, so I'm a few versions behind. Pardon my rust.

I returned since I've been stuck working from my company's office instead of remotely for the past couple of weeks and I was really bored. I might get suckered into another game if some of the vets bug me about it, but I don't care too much about the HoF...Nothing I can do at this point can possibly match up to pulling off a win in Artifacts. I think I pulled out absolutely every last trick I knew and a few that were made up specifically for that game in order to win it, along with a lot of stubborn determination, and it had an all-star cast of players. The fact that it doesn't count for more than a newb-bashing is a bit silly, but beyond that I just don't really feel the need to prove anything after that.