Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2021, 05:54 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road
Default Losing full screen

I am playing in full screen mode and frequently have the game lose control of the screen and go to the task bar at the bottom of my screen.

If I try to restore it to full screen I get a compressed black and white image (see attached photo).

This is not a problem if the AI is running its turn as I can just reload the auto save but I have to save several times a trun to prevent losing what I have done.

I have tried playing the game windowed but the window is just too small.

Is there any way to stop the crash or enlarge the windowed screen?

I am running Windows 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	16343  
Old March 26th, 2021, 06:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Losing full screen

Run it in windowed mode. NOT fullscreen mode

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 26th, 2021, 07:07 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Full-screen mode is not supported, it is only there as legacy code from the old MS-DOS days. Modern Windows post XP thinks the 256 colour palette belongs to it for effects, especiually windows 7 which steps on it for Aero mode which is why the game uses a "kill explorer" script in full screen mode.

So - full screen is no longer supported. It is still there for people who have windows systems that let the game play that way - not all windows and or video card drivers will allow it, unfortunately.

Therefore set your resolution to desktop, and your mode to windowed and the game uses the full windows palette with no conflict and uses the full desktop size, less the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Assuming you have the full game and not the free demo of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 27th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Losing full screen

The only reason we leave fullscreen mode in as an option is for those few that can run it, usually on an older OS computer. Otherwise, we would have pulled it as an option and why the Game guide says right at the start in a blue box for Game Requirements that...

Quote:
Camo Workshop, as developers, Highly recommend the game be played in windowed desktop mode. Full screen mode was provided as a legacy when we introduced the windows compatible versions but we feel that to be an outmoded way to run these games and for many people, they simply won't run in full screen mode but windowed mode runs perfectly. If you can get your game to run for you with your computer in full screen mode.....congratulations you are doing well ...but Camo Workshop no longer supports full screen mode

However for those of you that prefer the " full screen" experience while playing the game many players have found that a very simple & lightweight software, called "Borderless Gaming" has many of the benifits of windowed and fullscreen mode combined . The latest version of this program can be found HERE
and that link to Borderless Gaming is live. I have tried it and it works just fine and is easy to set up but because most of my time spent with this game is in development I WANT my bottom taskbar handy so I run windowed/desktop

You can also DL it here-----https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7...ss-gaming.html

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 27th, 2021 at 08:04 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 3rd, 2021, 05:22 PM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road

I was shocked to learn that fullscreen mode is no longer supported. I did not notice it because I am still using Windows XP, with some help from XP Forever. Please, do not drop this option altogether, for the happy owners of older OSes still enjoy the immaculate beauty of WinSPWW2 in a distraction-free environment.

In my opinion, WinSPWW2 must support fullscreen mode natively, as do all decent games. It should not be difficult. Is it legacy code that makes the task so hard? Have you tried emulating the 256-color palette on top of the native 24-bit true color mode instead of forcing an actual 256-color mode? This is how DOSBox works, and how modern pixel-art games are implemented. Have you considered seeking whatever help other programmers may provide without reading the sources?
Old April 3rd, 2021, 06:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

We post right in the GG the links to "Borderless Gaming" and that gives you what you want and is easy to install and use. If you were "shocked" you have not read the GG in the past 5 years. We clearly announce that right near the beginning under Game Requirements which is what is in Post 4.

Neither Andy nor I have any interest in it. The windows version was designed to be used under windows and I personally would never use fullscreen as I appreciate having quick access to my taskbar while the game is running and for those who have issues with that can use "Borderless Gaming".

End of discussion

Last edited by DRG; April 3rd, 2021 at 07:18 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread