.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old May 4th, 2003, 02:15 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lord of the rings module

Quote:
Originally posted by bearclaw:
...Here's a thought. Is there anyway, can anyone think of a way to make it that the starting place is different depending on the class chosen? If so, the Hobbits could start in Hobbiton, Elves in Mirkwood, etc. And the first quest for everyone would be to get to Rivendall...
Well, that is pretty easy actually, if you don't mind splitting the campaign into chapters.

So, you'd have Chapter 1: Hobbit or Chapter 1: Elf with different starting points and perhaps quest, but can reuse all the maps that you will need for other parts anyway. So it just a matter of changing a few things.
All these 'opening adventures' would end in Rivendell. Then you would start Chapter 2 with the character you used before. Actually that way you could make branching storylines.

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:34 AM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

Perfect. For a story as complex as this, that'll probably be the way to go.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Captain

Having the module in different chapters could make creating the game easier as it all wouldn't have to be completed at the same time.

Here's an idea (call for volenteers):
The basic story from Hobbition to Rivendell is known, but is there anyone willing to do a sub-story for
-Elf
-Dwarf
-Fighter
-Ranger
-Fighter
-Wizard

Anyone want to volenteer to design a short first chapter for these character types? The Ranger adventure would be to Bree instead of to Rivendell, but all the others would have their destinations to Rivendell.

I've got a list of certain aspects for continuity reasons, but other than that, these 1st chapter adeventures would be short (2-3 maps tops.) and completely up to the individual authors.

If you are interested, give me an email and I can provide some details to make sure it fit into the whole scheme of things.

[ May 04, 2003, 05:22: Message edited by: bearclaw ]
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road

[quote]Originally posted by Rollo:
Quote:
[qb]...Here's a thought. Is there anyway, can anyone think of a way to make it that the starting place is different depending on the class chosen? If so, the Hobbits could start in Hobbiton, Elves in Mirkwood, etc. And the first quest for everyone would be to get to Rivendall...
I think that it's possible to have one way level connections in the game. you could make a first level with one way connections to each of the starting quests (this would not be part of the actual game, just level selection)people could cheat and enter the dwarven levels with a wizard or elf though.

Is it possible to set the starting equipment of a character class? that way you could make them start with a key for their own quest-entrance..

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old May 4th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Henk, good idea. Yes, all of this would be possible. Make a minimap with several doors all locked with a special key type and change the startout equpment for each class.
The equipment can be set indivudually in classes.txt file. The individual keys need to have entries in Classes_ItemClasses.txt in the \data folder, not the regular Main_ItemClasses.txt in tiles folder.

Bearclaw, I am not volunteering to write a chapter 1 (not enough time at the moment), but here is just one idea for the Elf. How about the quest for that would not be 'go to Rivendell', but to come to rescue to a group of hobbits and take a wounded one over the river?

Rollo

[ May 04, 2003, 11:22: Message edited by: Rollo ]
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Captain

Yes. That is a good one. I was hoping to make it so that each class's chapter 1 would provide a different reason to go to Rivendell. This is a good idea.

In this call for volenteers, I don't need the chapter 1 maps and all to be made. Just the outline for what the adventure would be and perhaps some preliminary work on some of the .txt files. Of course, if someone's willing to put it all together, I won't say no

Later tonight I'm going to post a complete selection of all the aspects for this module and if anyone is willing to take up a part they can let me know.

I REALLY like the idea for the class keys. That'll be the way to go for sure. Excellent.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:24 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
I REALLY like the idea for the class keys. That'll be the way to go for sure. Excellent.
Maybe you could even use the keys later in the module, (give wizards acces to 'special' shops with magic stuff, that other characters shouldn't have etc) I can't look into the text files from where I am, but that would require a key that isn't 'consumed' on use. I'm not sure whether that is possible or not.

Also I'm not applying for writing a first chapter unless it's a long-term thing . I'm working on my own module and work on that is proceeding way too slow even without sideprojects.. I could do some graphics though, what do you need?

[ May 06, 2003, 12:26: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Captain

Graphics Needed:
Characters
-Hobbits
-Dwarves
-elves
-Nazgul (horse and winged)
-Ents
-Tenticals (for the Pool outside Moria)
-Balrog
-Worgs
-Shelob
-Plus special ones for the main characters

Terrain
-Mordor
-Dead Marshes
-The Shire
-Paths of the Dead

Towns (I'm thinking of 2 kinds of graphics for each town. One for the 'outside' view, and one for terrain inside each town.)
-Rivendell
-Lorien
-Edoras
-Minas Tirith
-Minas Morgul
-Bree (probably not nessesary)
-Hobbiton
-Henith Anon (again, probably not nessesary)
-Orthac
-Dunharrow
-The Black Gate of Mordor
-WeatherTop (just 'outside' view)

Others
-Eye of Sauron
-Mithiral Items
-Lembas
-Numemor Unique Items

These are just what I thought of while listening to LOTR on tape. If there are more ideas and/or submissions, I won't say no. I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Sergeant

Quote:

I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.
Have you found the easter egg level in the Hack and Slash module? It has a nice overgrown look to it, I think it uses some new tree and forest graphics by David Gervais.

I'll see what I can do for the other graphics. I'm working on some terrain pictures and a map that could also be used for the dead marshes and/or the paths of the dead, I'll try and post a screenshot this evening. I also made some pictures of dwarves/elves/wizards some time ago, feel free to use those.

edit: it seems I have to edit every post I make to fix mistakes...

[ May 12, 2003, 09:34: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Captain

Thanks. I haven't had the time to go through your Hack and Slash mod yet (although I have tried it a few times. Very nice indeed).

I've come across a new problem though, There is a set of fields in the XXXX_Tiles.txt file to set the connection type for the N,E,S,W sides of a tile. Are these not enabled? Because they don't seem to do what they are suppose to.

And another thing. I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?