winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road
Default best Airdefense

What do choose for airdefense?

Since damaging an incoming airplane is enough i prefer AAMGs. For example the ones that come with the german Sdkfzs. Anything else seems to be a waste of points.
Old December 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: best Airdefense

I usually stick to the aamgs on my vehicles, and sometimes a few(like 2 or 3) heavier guns(20 to 40mm) near any costly rocket launchers or something.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: best Airdefense

It depends on who you are - Axis or Allies.

Axis gets the air in the early war years, then the allies do.

Early war AAA tends not to be mobile. So I just plant a Bofors section of 3 or so 47-40mm guns on any hilltop giving a wide field of view near my artillery park, whoever I am. One core AAA platoon, therefore.

Other than that - for all, an AAMG section per company perhaps. Deployed forwards, they can move up on their own (slowly) behind the attack. If no air turns up, they can beat up enemy soft stuff. 12.7mm are good, for the extra range.

Axis player will be seeing more air from the enemy side over the later years, so its probably wise to buy ~2 sections of core truck/soft half-track mounted 37mm SPAA. These will advance down each flank usually.

Truck AAA is way cheaper than armoured, unless you can get a half track with tin armour and a 37/40mm. (Smaller AA guns are not worth the while in vehicle mounts in dedicated AA vehicles IMHO).

The Allies really do not have to go large on AAA, esp in the late war.

USA-supplied kit will tend to have a large allowance of .50cal flexible mount AAA, so that gives the force a decent overall coverage should the Luftwaffe deign to turn up.

Some German kit has a rifle calibre AAMG mounted, which is better than nothing.

But Germans, esp if defending - will probably want to buy a platoon or 2 of support points bought 37mm or 20mm vierlings perhaps, to put on dominating hilltops. Perhaps an armoured SPAA section as well - AAA vehicles "draw" enemy pilots if spotted, more than other types, so may preserve your AFV by drawing fire..

If playing as Japanese, then unless you go for an ahistorical force with armour, a few AAMG and some 25 or 37mm towed guns near the arty park will do. Air power is largely irrelevant against an all-infantry force, esp if dug in.

Cheers
Andy