.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old August 3rd, 2018, 09:04 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Hammer and Anvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Aftermath:

The aftermath of this IMHO will be that the Romanians pull back from the eastern part of the city and form a defensive line from the old apartments to the north to the pool to the south. There they can hold out against the Ukrainians for a little bit more, but they will eventually have to abandon Roman altogether.
Excellent AAR. Thanks.

Can you tally the KIA of each side?

I think it would be interesting to convert the save game final turn as a scenario and continue the fight.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 04:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hammer and Anvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Excellent AAR. Thanks.

I think it would be interesting to convert the save game final turn as a scenario and continue the fight.

You're welcome, hope it was entertaining.

Can you clarify? I gave the final results on the previous post (and I put equipment losses in a more detailed fashion). You mean each unit's losses? I can give that if you give me some time to browse through my last save and see each unit.

For the final comment, I can probably give the final turn's save, so anyone that wants can make a scenario based on the aftermath of the battle. In fact, I was thinking of doing just that with SasTroop's scenarios, make continuations of the battles based on my results playing them (and obviously if Sas is OK with that). We'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:48 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

This looks challenging and fun will play in a few months once I have forgotten your AAR
Old August 4th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Hammer and Anvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Excellent AAR. Thanks.

You're welcome, hope it was entertaining.

Can you clarify? I gave the final results on the previous post (and I put equipment losses in a more detailed fashion). You mean each unit's losses? I can give that if you give me some time to browse through my last save and see each unit.

For the final comment, I can probably give the final turn's save, so anyone that wants can make a scenario based on the aftermath of the battle. In fact, I was thinking of doing just that with SasTroop's scenarios, make continuations of the battles based on my results playing them (and obviously if Sas is OK with that). We'll see.
After expanding the battle results I see Romanian KIA at 520 and Ukranian at 949. And, I completely missed it, what I wanted to know is the number of men on each side at the begining of the battle.

Old August 4th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

OK, a bit more detailed list of casualties for both sides, together with the initial strength:

Romanians

15th Brigade units (directly subordinated) 63/108
1/631 tank 24/52
2/631 tank 10/52
3/631 tank 34/52
1/151 mech 117/175
2/151 mech 51/175
3/151 mech 48/175
1/634 mech 47/175
2/634 mech 5/175
3/634 mech 13/175
120mm mortar platoon 3/42
130mm battery 15/56
152mm platoon 4/40
100mm AT battery 32/60
BRDM-2 Malyutka TD platoon 18/18
35mm AAA battery 28/108
Strela Manpads platoons 8/24
Total 520/1662

Ukrainians

City garrison:

Headquarters 2/8
1st Para 90/90
2nd Para 89/90
3rd Para (BMD) 86/108
Spetsnaz platoon 32/32
Rifle platoon (scouts) 27/30
Engineer platoon 24/24
Snipers 4/5
AT group 8/15
Mortars 12/12
Total 374/414

Relief force

Recon company 17/60
Tank company 6/39
Weapons company (mech) 14/85
1st mech 20/89
2nd mech 26/89
3rd mech 10/89
Weapons company (rifle) 35/60
1st rifle 78/127
2nd rifle 53/127
3rd rifle 57/127
Weapons company (rifle) 22/60
4th rifle 91/127
5th rifle 55/127
6th rifle 44/127
Tunguska platoon 1/16
Engineer company 33/99
152mm battery (off map) 0/64
100mm AT battery 19/60
Total: 581/1572

*Ukrainians had also 6 Hinds, 6 Su-25s, 2 Su-27s and 2 Su-24s
Old August 4th, 2018, 01:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Forgot to mention: the format is casualties/initial strength.
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

OK, I've uploaded the savegame (the final turn of the scenario). Let me know if you have any problems.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hammer_and_anvil.zip (449.4 KB, 142 views)
Old August 11th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

There is so rework and delay on The Duck Hunt scenario that is about to come up - it is expected to be easy one, but thus it needs proper calcuation of acceptable losses
But a couple of days should do it.

As to the Hammer & Anvil, in case there is a rational doubt: if you take a look at Roman in real life, the "right" Siret bridge is of little value to the Romanians. As scenario designer I though of clearly western bridges that you hold in this outcome. This generally gives you a firm win, you saved the brigade, but losses were high.

Luckily, Ukrainian forces of best quality focus on Slovakia and southern Poland in my vision, Romanian theatre is secondary, thus only southern military oblast Ukrainian troops are supporting the Russians here - and I am counting out a number of brigades entirely, since in WW3 universe Ukraine was taken by force just in 2015 and Ukrainian military is demoralized, sometimes even forcefully conscripted.

Here is Roman area with the eastern Siret bridge marked. Siret makes a huge turn in here, it's in fact literally a u-turn.

https://i.imgur.com/pS8G9iD.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old August 11th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thank you Sas for your post. I just want to ask you two things (general ones):
1- Are you planning to release a couple of scenarios from the "Red" side? It will be interesting to play from the Russian/Ukrainian/other side. Their scenarios would have "easier" time to score a conventional victory, but you can just make it so that their losses would have to be kept to a minimum.

2-How many fronts do you envision in total? It will be just the Eastern Europe that will be the battlefield? What about the Balkans/Turkey? Maybe even Central Asia or even the Pacific (if you make some kind of uneasy alliance between Russian and China)? Just throwing ideas for you.

What I started doing is take your scenarios that I played and have one outcome and try to make a continuation scenario. But in any case, they are all very interesting scenarios and again, congratulations on you making them.
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

As to your questions:

1/ So far not. But maybe in the future. Key point of WW3 series is recreation of entire brigade combat level with complete disregard of balance whatsoever (thus the special victory conditions instead). Putting it the other way, players are often granted "dream teams" or perfect battlegroups with no weak sides. Here players can form battlegroups as they need them, but they are limited to actual equipment used by certain formations.
Russians, on the other hand, are just one nation and they stick to same regimental or brigade stricture with little changes. This would mean scenarios from Russian perspective to be very repetitive and with little equipment variations.

However, if you are in need of standard attacker-has-advantage-ratio and switching sides check the oil Crisis Spreads (OCS) series.

And to be frank, I just wished SPMBT could allow for 1000 instead of 500 units, that would let me pit 2-3 Russian brigades against you
Sadly, I am pushing the scale of this game to the limits.

2/ Well, this was is surely total, but I take into consideration that Russians had limited time for very massive gear-up and they come in weaker than in, say, 1989. Thus there is no front in Scandinavia and it is not planned. Turkey is considered "friendly neutral" towards Russia what can be the case in real life as well. So the southern Russian flank is protected. Key push is obviously Germany via Poland. Serbs did not yet come into the fray, but I am not excluding Serbians - seeing Russian success - could quickly forget their EU applications. Central Asia is considered puppets, sooner or later I can assure you Kazakhstan brigade will be your opponent in one of the battles.

As of the scenarios, there is always a pattern.
There will be two per nation (Czechs and Slovaks will have them "jointly"). If it is possible, first one will be with "typical" brigade, using the most common equipment in nation's army and describing what that nation would normally contribute into the fight.
The second one will be either with "elite" formation - such as second Romanian or Polish one - with best equipment the nation has to offer. Alternatively, this can be "special" formation, that is just different - like Dutch Light Brigade. British will have one with Air Cavalry too, and so on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post: