World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:15 AM

Private

Letum is on a distinguished road
Question WinSPWW2 Enhanced Price Tag

Hello everyone,
I'm a long time player and forum lurker, but I have only just registered. I love WinSPWW2 and it occurred to me that having got so much enjoyment out of it, I should support the devs and purchase the enhanced version.
None of the enhanced features appeal to me very strongly as I am no modder, although the extra resolution would be nice.
After a little digging around, I found the downloadable purchase option.

However, I was surprised by the price tag.
Firstly, the boxed version was the same price as the download version, even tho it lacked the manual and all the other physical things in the box. What could be the reason behind this?
Secondly, the enhanced version is very expensive; especially when all it will give me is a larger resolution. I dread to think how high the price tag must have been when it was first released.

As much as I would like to support the Devs and fit a few more pixels onto my screen, I can't justify $40 for so little. My means are just too humble.

Are there any plans to give a concession to the digital download version? Is the price tag likely to be revised in the future?

Thankyou for any reply and thanks for WinSPWW2.
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:56 AM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road

Ummm, I can't remember what the difference between the free and full versions are, as the main idea I had in mind was to improve it somewhat, but also to show a bit of appreciation for having the free one for so long and how it's been also worked on so much.

Having said all of that, I know I didn't have this particular option before the complete version came out, and maybe they added it onto the free one too, but for my money being able to resize the map to much larger proportions VERY easily before each battle, and have it always be made to that size without further adjustments, is I so choose, makes a HUGE amount of difference. Frankly I got so tired of tha everybody fights in a box feel to the game, at least the campaigns, where the height of the screen was no more than like 120 hexes (with the overwhelming majority being 40-80 hexes in height - at least SPWAW was that bad), that I think I would had stopped playing entirely otherwise. I also can shrink the width of the screen to where the battle comes quicker. All of this means I play the game on like 200 X 130 screen and it makes the game with basically the same amount of forces I choose before, much more interesting, as there's enough height to the map that helping out weak points takes much longer to get there, therefore making using your brain while playing this much more necessary.

Anyway, I can't tell you for sure you have the extra map capabilities (even on campaigns) on the full version as opposed to the free one, but if you think it's just about resolution I think you're quite mistaken. Yes, the extra options may not still be worth $40 to you, but to me the ease of re-sizing the map alone makes what may had been something I didn't want to play anymore, into something I'll at least kick around every now and then, and to me that's worth $40.

You just don't know the horrors I had out of playing SPWAW and so many of it's campaign battles being shrunk down to a mere 20-40 height hexes. Supposedly you could get into a campaign and save it, and then modify the map, but that's none too easy and I couldn't get it to work, and to make matters worse you had to do that for every battle!!! Not so with full version winSPWW2.

Something else I thought about that used to drive me crazy about SPWAW. Some goon or somebody over there must had convinced their staff that EXTREME lack of visibility in SUMMER conditions was a good thing, because the visibility was often extremely poor. Guess what? In winSPWW2 that is not the case at all. Their visibility was always pretty darn good, better than SPWAW's anyway, but you can easily change that on-the-fly with a simple click if one of their battles has visibility to your disliking. Again, I can't guarantee the free version doesn't have that as well, but playing games where your map size and visibility are all but inalterable are quite large reasons to buy full version if indeed the free version doesn't have these options.

Last edited by Charles22; December 31st, 2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WinSPWW2 Enhanced Price Tag

The enhanced DL version was offered so that players in nations with high customs and postage rates for games of this type wouldn't end up paying , in some cases, nearly double the based price.

Don
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

Letum,

It's worth it for the ability to play PBEM Campaigns.
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

And if you play more than an hour a week worth it for the enhanced graphics alone, you will realise you have been squinting.
Only mainstream games go down in price with time.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM

Private

grant is on a distinguished road

I'm a long time player as well. It's one of those games that I don't play for a couple years and then come back to, over and over. I had the original games as well as the old dos SPWW2 versions. I figure it's time to pay again, and I'm hoping the resolution capabilities will make me feel like I got a bonus. I have a couple questions about other "paid version" features.

Can you really play campaigns PBEM?

What does "Encyclopedic sorting ability!" mean? I'm hoping it means a more descriptive way of sorting scenarios.

Grant
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:55 AM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road

Grant: I'll take a stab at that. firstly the encyclopedic sorting in at least one sense would refer to the versatility of sorting you have with the encyclopedia. You can sort it by default, unit class, unit type, date avilable. You can also see it through all dates or the current date. You can also set the default. No other SP has had that versatility.

As far as playing campaigns PBEM, I don't know if it works, but with V4, it's first version available, 21 campaign battles can be fought PBEM, with each PBEMer taking a side. It sounds like the two campaigns have to be the same two nations throughout, and that you would always be trying to get experience, at the price of not letting your enemy get too much either. Could lead to some real bloody battles, or maybe a more frequent Bravely Bold Sir Robin Strategy.
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:55 AM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Can you really play campaigns PBEM?

Grant

Absolutely!

Not the scripted Campaigns such as ANZAC etc, rather a generated Campaign such as you would play solo.

You can agree parameters with your PBEM Opponent - anything from 3 battles upwards.

As Charles advised: it is sometimes prudent to be Bold Sir Robin!

I'm playing 5 PBEM Campaigns at the moment......
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Being able to set the encyclopedia so it only shows units available for the current date can be a nice feature at times.
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Being able to set the encyclopedia so it only shows units available for the current date can be a nice feature at times.
That is the one that I find myself using all the time really. Sort by available now + either of class (to put all the same unit class together) or type (sorts all AFV, APC etc roughly together).

That lets me know what the enemy can have (e.g. have tiger 1s arrived), or me without having to scrabble through the buy screens and look at formations etc individually.

The sort by availability date is quite useful in really long campaigns (WW2 LC) - to check when something important is going to be coming up, like say 6pdr APDS toting tanks, fireflies, the lee/grants etc. If near, then I might hold back on upgrades till that point and save my repair points for a battle or 3.

Andy