This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 3rd, 2002, 10:54 PM

Corporal

Silent Sorrow is on a distinguished road
Default question about launching modded savegames

After I've used the modlauncher to play a game and saved it mid-way to continue later, do I need to launch it from the mod-launcher to continue play? The problem is, if I first launch the modlauncher and then click "load saved game" it just crashes.

But if I load the game from the standard SEIV game screen I don't think it's actually loading the mod since I don't see the (in this case) TDM-Modpack text at the top right.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 11:37 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: question about launching modded savegames

What you have to do is keep your unmodded savegames in the folder se4/savegame, your TDM savegames in TDM/savegame, your proportions savegames in proportions/savegames... You'll have to create the folders yourself and move your files there but once you have the mod launcher will automatic ally load the appropriate mod for each savegames.

Don't forget to put in the correct player number and a single space in the password slot for games with no password.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 11:38 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

If all else fails, open up Path.txt, and change the entry to read "Path := TDM-modpack"

Then run SE4, and load your game.

Methinks the problem might have something to do with the fact that TDM saves its games in the default SE4 folder, instead of the TDM modfolder.

You might be able to fix the modpicker by adding a "savegame" folder inside TDM, and moving your saved game's files there.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 11:40 PM

Corporal

I have to set up a number and password for single-player games?

Quote:
Originally posted by dogscoff:
What you have to do is keep your unmodded savegames in the folder se4/savegame, your TDM savegames in TDM/savegame, your proportions savegames in proportions/savegames... You'll have to create the folders yourself and move your files there but once you have the mod launcher will automatic ally load the appropriate mod for each savegames.

Don't forget to put in the correct player number and a single space in the password slot for games with no password.
Old September 4th, 2002, 12:03 AM

Corporal

All right, so I moved all the files in the regular savegame directory to a new folder I created inside the TDM directory called "savegame." Now when I launch the modlauncher there are all sorts of siles showing up under "save game" but it's really messy and it's not even clear which I should use to launch.

It looks like so in this window:

[none]game1.gam
[none].gam
[TDM-ModPack]game1.gam
[TDM-ModPack].gam

Obviously, I'd like to get it so that there is only one relevant file showing per saved game because this could get very unwieldy.
Old September 4th, 2002, 02:01 AM

Corporal

Nebraskan is on a distinguished road

I use the Mod-launcher exclusively and what I do is first off have a savegame folder in all my mod folders. Then when I save the game in SE4 I check to see which directory SE4 wants to save in by selecting save in different directory on the save screen, if it is wrong it is easy to change. When I go back to play the saved game again I use the Mod-launcher to launch the game and use the load game button from the main screen. Works for me.
Old September 4th, 2002, 02:56 AM

Sergeant

Matryx is on a distinguished road

Silent Sorrow:
Allow me to explain.
Under each mod installation it is easiest to have a directory called "Savegame"
Now, when you create your games, under one of the options is a place to specify the savegame path.
Enter the complete path to this directory (e.g. f:\Games\Se4Gold\PiratesAndNomadsv3.0\Savegame ) and put the savegame name in the other box.
The launcher should then have no problems launching the correct game.
If you keep all of your savegames in one folder however, then simply launch the Mod from the launcher, then load the savegame from inside SE4.
Lastly, for singleplayer games, enter your playernumber as 1 and your password as a single space.
Old September 5th, 2002, 01:01 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[none]game1.gam
[none].gam
[TDM-ModPack]game1.gam
[TDM-ModPack].gam
Did you move the files or just copy them? I don't understand why you are getting the results you describe. Try clicking game1.gam (after putting in player number & password - see below) and see what happens.

If it doesn't work or you can't live with all those extra filenames, just move them back to the main savegame folder and then load your saves from SE4 rather than the launcher.

Quote:
have to set up a number and password for single-player games?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You will have a player number for every game you play. In most single player games, you will be player 1.

You don't have to have password for your games. However, if you don't have one the mod launcher needs to have single space in the password field to load that game. The mod launcher will remember player/password settings for each game.