winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 9th, 2022, 10:11 PM

Private

strykerpsg is on a distinguished road
Default With 2025 looming closer....

Hi all,

Long time player and lurker. First off, not complaining, just have a question about the next iteration of WINSPMBT and WINSPWW2. These games have had a fantastic life cycle and will continue being popular for quite some time.

However, I assume there will be a version 2.0 that updates the engine beyond 2025. With a wealth of new kit forthcoming, KF41, Puma IFV w ATGM, Panther, MPF, Aramta, etc.....it's going to be tough to continue adding or scaling a line of vehicles that start production in say 2023 and add upgrades.

Then there's also the argument of increasing graphic capabilities, DX12 and beyond, WIN 12 and beyond, and so forth.

I know most teams do not like to tip their hands with their WIPs or ideas, but a hint of something would be great.

Anyway, hoping for some great news. Thanks in advance.
Old July 10th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: With 2025 looming closer....

To be clear, in NO WAY do I speak for Andy and Don.

As you've said you're a longtime player then you know that within the last 6 yrs. or, so we've been here before. We last had what amounted to a 2-year gap between releases and I seem to recall there was a 1-year gap before that in the above time frame.

For my part at least there just happened to be some important issues that came up during that 2-year gap that Andy and Don were dealing with their own issues. Simply put, they were more important than the game in regard to the importance of what was going in our lives to include just plain old burnout.

I have a full-time job of at least 45 hrs. a week or more as operational commitments require. And for those that "tune in" most of my work is a mad rush before I leave for work or goes well into the morning when I get home between 2300 or 0000 and most times both for weeks at a time during my "observations" and preparations for my patch inputs in whatever form they come in.

I have a family and 4 grandkids and more important than anything else CINCLANTHOME.

I to have some health issues nothing I hope that will kill me anytime soon I hope but, none the less requires I monitor them closely to include in the last couple of years trying to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night which still needs some work on my part but plays a key issue in controlling one of my health issues as "countless" studies I've researched and can honestly say, they're proving to be correct on that advice.

Andy and Don have served their countries, had their careers and families. They certainly deserve to enjoy their retirement years as they see fit.

We need to all respect the current desire to just let them catch their breath and realize they're quite capable of deciding for themselves and us what's right FOR THEM and THE GAME. They are WELL AWARE of the CLOCK. And I'm sure that in at least in passing, are wondering POSSIBLY what will happen or not beyond what I hope will be the FINAL PATCH to the game released sometime in 2026. .

We're none of us are getting any younger with the exception to do the things we want or have put off for some time for ourselves and family.

They are looking and aware of our concerns and desires. You have a sense they are looking into some issues already and I will continue to do so as they see fit.

For myself I look to this, I hope the extended break will allow me to catch up where other game issues have put so much other equipment on the back burner for MANY OOB's in the game. Again OWOOOB.

I finish with I can't count how many nights that turned into mornings Don and I have communicated over the years over many issues concerning the equipment already in the game (All the legacy issues we've had to address.) and those to come. With Andy's time difference taken into account I know he's burned the "midnight oil" more times than he's cared too as well.

We just tend to get tired over all months is all.

This also goes for the dedicated "Contingent" that do play testing, development assistance, scenario and campaign development and equipment input and more from even before I came on the scene.

I think it safe to say Andy and Don have gone through as much as I have and more as have many of you have experienced as well.

BREATHE and PATIENCE.

"BREATHE" for you when I need to "BREATHE and JUST BELIEVE"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx-uZZVc0dE

Convair so far ahead of their time B-58/Delta Dart/Delta Dagger and a lot of "Black Ops Projects". B-58 is on my desktop NOT a Submarine. Fastest plane in the world for many years and NO ONE had a SAM or FIGHTER that could catch for about 3 years or a little more.

Also pilot in the first scenes was John Denver's Dad. In refueling doesn't that Pilot remind you of Peyton Manning HOF QB? Jimmy Stewart (Lt.Col. USAF Reserve.) apparently did fly that plane. Finally, Andy the singer is SCOTTISH!!

I leave you all, while I just for ANOTHER DAY BREATHE and JUST BELIEVE (For the 5th time listening as I type that slowly. ). Have a great week everyone.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; July 11th, 2022 at 01:11 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old July 10th, 2022, 08:16 PM

Private

strykerpsg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: With 2025 looming closer....

Fastboat, Pat,

Wow! Fantastic explanation, thank you for that. I was just inquiring if plans were being made or at least a roadmap for the future. Without doubt, this team of developers, modders and players have kept this franchise alive for decades. That just showcases the love and devotion for the game.

Of course, everyone needs a break and I nor any other decent person would expect anything less, given the yearly updates. I too have served (thank you to yourself and others that have too)) and love picking through the new OBATs, looking for discrepancies and updates with my professional exposure and love for all things military hardware.

Dumb question but I gotta ask, are Andy and Don the developers of all the titles under Shrapnel or just the dynamic duo that brought WINSPMBT and WINWW2 to light initially? This title will forever stay in my library, until there comes a time when it is no longer compatible. Then I will just find some sort of DOS box to play it afterwards.

Repsectfully,
Matt
Old July 10th, 2022, 09:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Fallout Re: With 2025 looming closer....

I'm sure those are the only games they're involved with on the developer side. These games are descendants to the original Steel Panthers (SP) from SSI in 1995. SSI would further develop SP II in 1996.
The final full game SSI produced was SP III in 1997. There was an SSI SP IV under development but I believe this ended with the demise of SSI. This I think was the base for our games or an adjunct to it from the previous versions. This would cause a split from what would become Camo Workshop and MATRIX games. Corrected only the words per my U.S. dictionary ...

The title caught my attention from a MATRIX forum on the "succession" of the games. I quote from "Alby" in Nov. 2006 ...

"Actually, SPWAW seems to run better on older systems.
SPWAW was derived from the SP3 source code
SPWW2 and SPMBT came from the SP2 source code.
SPWAW, WW2, and MBT are similar but do have many differences.
Once a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...there was a split and there were then 2 factions. The camo group with WW2 and MBT and Matrix with SPWAW.
...too long a story to go into but many hard feelings remain
, and many heated discussions have arisen and still do from time to time, over which games is/are better."

I owned the first two versions, and it should be obvious that I chose the path of righteousness you see you have to understand with our limited internet capability at the time, there was also a split in the gaming community we also took sides as we missed SSI and didn't like the direction MATRIX was going at the time with the games.

I would "stumble" upon our games and they intrigued me. They were more familiar me from my SSI games and thus made me more comfortable. And I blame Don, John, Suhiir (My Marine Buddy. And I miss her as my "foil" and more.) and Andy for what they did to me!?!

DOS nothing, if you have Windows or a couple of other OS's you'll be fine in the long run.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; July 11th, 2022 at 01:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old July 12th, 2022, 02:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Fallout Re: With 2025 looming closer....

I had to "fact check" my memory and realized I demoted the Oscar winning actor Jimmy Stewart to Lt. Col. when he actually was promoted to Brig. Gen. in 1959 well before retiring from the service.
https://ancestralfindings.com/the-mi...jimmy-stewart/

Had to set the record straight.

Regards,
Pat