Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Real Time Editing? - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Private

Poet1960 is on a distinguished road
Default Real Time Editing?

Hi, I am fairly new to this game and have been perusing the forums for about a week. I am still learning and there are times when I would like to tweek something in game. I see there are mods that allow testing but I was wondering if there were any commands or "cheats" available in a solo game. I have searched and searched and haven't found anything that seems to address this other than perhaps a whole mod that lets you. I know that you can set the alarm for cheats but how in the world would you even use one?

Thanks in advance,

Poet1960

EDIT:
Well I guess I have my answer.

Last edited by Poet1960; July 25th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: new info
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Real Time Editing?

I believe you can change a Mod during the game. It certainly works for me when I am testing scenarios and its very helpful as you can see the effects of your changes without restarting

But you can't add mods as far as I am aware to a game you have started. So you'll need the game set up right at the start.

So if you create a largely empty mod - say called 'Cheat' or 'Helper' and enabled it before play there should be some things you can do.

For example you could mod the cost of your top mage down so that they become cheap. Or add some extra magic paths to them. If your being hammered by fire auras you can make some or all of your troops fire resistant. Grant your starting site extra gem, gold or resource income etc etc.

Of course this requires some modding knowledge. But it should all be in the modding pdf. And there are plenty of good modding threads in the scenarios section of the forum on how to do things and what is possible to mod and what isn't. You can then remove the advantages later when you no longer need them.

I am not sure if you can change the map file during the game. But you should be able to give yourself many advantages with just the mod. Of course you could also knack your opponents forces with mods.

I am not aware of any cheat codes that kill enemy forces, give one off boosts of gems or gold etc. But there may be some.
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Well, you can boost gems with your modding trick, by making a recruitable unit generate gems. I don't think you can do that with gold however. (Of course, cheaper units cost less to buy and require less upkeep, so that's sort of like generating gold)

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

You could also mod wish to alteration 0 and to cost 1 gem. That is pretty much a cheat code, as you can wish for gems, blood slaves, gold, dominion, or specific units you may want to toy around with.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The conversation came up in IRC and my initial response was "there are no cheat codes or easter eggs in this game". The closest I could come up with is the semi-hidden console mode for battle simulation.

But after thinking about it I realized that the closest thing we have to the type of eggs/cheat codes in other games are written into this one. You can make a mod to give them early and for free.
The Eyes of God spell = god mode
the Wish spell = free gold, free units

What else is there in cheat codes? Invulnerability so you cant lose game? You could mod a god to max (pantokrator mode but thats already been done also hasnt it?)
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Specifically for testing purposes there was a mod called "Debug". IIRC it makes Wish very cheap and includes rainbow mage reachable by any nation. It can be very useful for looking up how some specific thug performs with specific equipment, but not interesting to play. Usage of a blank mod is covered above.