This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default \"Fixing\" commanders in Campaign with ScenHack ?

Is it possible to "fix" (change) formation commanders in a campaign on turn 0 of a battle (unit deployment) using scenhack, or some other way ?
Without completely breaking the campaign mode, that is, like adding the aux units to the core etc ... I know I had to do this for SPWAW sometimes, I wonder if it works with SPWW2 too?

I got my Italians pretty shoot up against the French .. had to replace my 2nd companies commander (formation F) .. but the commander of F4 (rank 6, but only a patrol platoon leader) took control of the whole formation?!

I would like to
a) set the replacement unit F0 to rank 5-6
b) set the F4 to rank 2-3
c) add a radio to F0
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"Fixing\" commanders in Campaign with ScenHack

In SP games, whoever is left after casualties to other commanders becomes the new leader. It remains that way through the campaign, as and until the new commander gets destroyed of course. There are no rules to say that a subordinate needs to be of a lesser rank, either - so a replacement company commander may be an Lt with a platoon of his under a Major.

The "0" element is only guaranteed to be the leader for scenarios or stand-alone battles. That is why the HQ screen has the command details in there (P for platoon commander, C for coy).

Cheers
Andy
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Yes, I know it's broken since some early DOS version ...
That's not my problem here (ok, it's part of .. ) - I just want to know if I can "fix" the formation setup using ScenHack without turning the campaign savegame into a standalone scenario ?
(Especially if I can put a radio on whatever unit is going to lead the 2nd Comp .. the old F0 unit had a radio, but no matter what I do I end up without after rebuilding...)
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Whoever has become the new commander will usually eventually get a radio after a few battles if he survives, even at 10% chance, eventually that will be rolled. (If a unit with sub 10% chance it probably never will).

It does nor worry me - even with the pathetic radio chance of my Russian soldiers, I simply keep the sections within 2-3 hexes (200-250 metres) of each other and don't care which one happens to be the current commander much. If he is within 5 hexes (10 in LOS) he is usually in contact if not currently running away.

In fact, I tend to fight them all in a single line side by side in 3 hexes, whatever nation or maybe 2 lines of 2 side by side and 1 hex between the rear and front ranks if a 4 section platoon. most WW2 platoon frontages in the attack were 150-250 metres after all (3-5 hexes).

Only the BCE used wider fronts for infantry, with the frontage of a section being about 150-250 metres (gun group separated from rifle group by about 100-150 metres). The NVA at Long Tan for example, thought they were dealing with a USA regiment or battalion rather than the actual company force they were up against because the Australians were widely separated in the normal BCE type extended tactical dispersion, as opposed to the USA troops they normally fought against who tended to deploy in tighter lumps.

I think a lot of problems some players have is not realising the ground scale of 50 metres (half a football pitch) per hex. I have seen plenty of save games sent in for debug, where rifle sections or individual AFV are spread over silly distances - even 20+ hexes (a kilometer or more!) between elements of a platoon...

just keep the 2 elements within 250 metres (that is 5 (five) hexes) of the command element and they are in guaranteed voice contact, 500m if LOS exists - sometimes.

Possession of radios, in this game really is no deal breaker (there are no orders or modes) provided you don't exceed historical separation distances (uncommon for elements to be >250 metres apart from the commander, ie 5 hexes). Its mainly of note for arty units and observers to call or deliver indirect fire with.

Cheers
Andy