BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:48 AM

Corporal

paulo is on a distinguished road
Default 60 mm mortar

I'm confused about how the 60 mm mortar works. I'm playing the US vs Germany and the 60 mm mortar seems to be treated like any other infantry unit (enemy seen, shots, etc). It doesn't come up in the bombardment screen under the direction of the AO. Why?
Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 60 mm mortar

1) it may be a direct fire mortar, same as the German 50mm ones say - e.g. if it is a para mortar class. D/F mortars don't appear on the bombardment screen.

2) If it is a normal indirect fire mortar class, then it may be out of contact.

- it may be out of contact with it's HQ, if a company level asset, and the HQ is up at the front. Or if a platoon of several elements, the player has shot-gunned these all over the map instead of setting them up within 2-3 hexes of the HQ element. Radio comms is intermittent - but being in shouting distance is reliable.

Cure: get the HQ element back in vocal command radius of the mortar team (3-5 hexes at the extreme, but 2-3 hexes is best), or wait till radio comms is re-established.

- Also, indirect assets are sometimes deemed out of contact and so do not appear on the indirect fire menu. This usually affects the off-map units though.

Cure: wait till they re-establish contact.

Cheers
Andy
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

There are three 60mm mortar units in the US OOB. Two are indirect capable and one is direct fire only so without actual unit information we have to guess.

Does it show a mortar and crew or does it look like a regular infantry unit ? If it looks like a regular squad it's D/F only.

If it shows the mortar and crew what Andy said applies but from what you have said I would think you are referring to the Abn 60mm Mors and those are D/F mortars and will not show up in the bombardment screen

Don
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:38 PM

Corporal

paulo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your answers. The mortar did eventually show up on the bombardment screen but I'm not sure what I did to change that. I think it was out of contact with the AO or the Hq unit its from. I'll try it again. Thanks
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:57 PM

Private

IronHat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
1)
Cure: get the HQ element back in vocal command radius of the mortar team (3-5 hexes at the extreme, but 2-3 hexes is best), or wait till radio comms is re-established.

Cheers
Andy
wouldn't putting your HQ that close to your mortar put your colonel at risk of getting wiped by Counter barrage?
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
1)

Cheers
Andy
wouldn't putting your HQ that close to your mortar put your colonel at risk of getting wiped by Counter barrage?
You put the formation's HQ back into voice comms range with its subordinate indirect fire element(s), obviously.

Platoons and companies have HQs, too. And some company HQs have a mixed bag of say infantry command element and some mortars, MGs, scouts etc etc as a coy HQ platoon.

It's inadvisable then for the CHQ to go out of voice range of the 60mm mortars as even if both have radios, comms with those are uncertain. One reason I prefer a separate mortar section sub-formation, if a coy has mortars, over the type integrated in the HQ platoon. Mortar platoons can also have this problem with the subordinate elements if the player has shot-gunned them all over the map as well. Elements of a platoon are best kept within ~3 hexes of their bossman.

Andy