.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 1st, 2009, 02:47 AM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road
Default Game suggestion

People are always placing their troops at the rear of the battlefield, escpecially SC's. So If you want to cast a spell on them, you have to run forward 3 turns just to get in range. Then you cast Phoenix power, or whatever, so you will be able to cast the spell you want. Then in the fifth turn you cast the spell.

But most of the time, you will want to cast that spell over and over, but you can't. Because on the 6th turn the computer will cast sermon of courage or some ridiculous spell like that.

So my suggestion is to have a repeat button. If you click on the repeat button, your mage will keep casting whatever spell you casted on turn 5.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghoul31 For This Useful Post:
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game suggestion

haha!

game suggestion?

hahahahaha!

no just kidding. but really. game suggestions rarely get implemented at this point in time. and every swinging d*ck on this forum will jump at you and tell you how little you know about coding if you possibly think your suggestion has any possibility of getting added because "do you know how hard it is to add that? it is really really hard to add that one little thing" also, dominions code is, well, mature? I guess it is hard to modify and add things. plus, it is just two guys doing this game, and they are working on another one right now. "and we would much rather they work on this new thing then add any thing else to this game"

tl;dr
your suggestion has a snowball's chance in hell. plus, five turns of scripting is part of the fun and dynamics of the game.
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM

Private

Electro808 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
plus, it is just two guys doing this game, and they are working on another one right now. "and we would much rather they work on this new thing then add any thing else to this game"
Dominions 4?
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dominions 4?
Probably not.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM

Corporal

Deathjester is on a distinguished road

Your suggestion is an interesting one, and lot of people would probably like that kind of feature. I would on occasion, even though I am unsure whether it would make the game better, since like Omni said, the 5 turn scripting makes for interesting choices.

But, like the others said, it is very unlikely that any change like that is implemented, if not impossible. If we ever see Dominions 4 perhaps..
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
Quote:
Dominions 4?
Probably not.
Heretic! Burn the unbeliever.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really mind, they playing field is equal for everyone and the AI is smart enough to do pretty good decisions.

You can also exercise some control by placing your mages at the right range, in the back mages will cast long-range spells like thunderstrike or soul slay, or they will just summon. With the enemy closer up they might instead try stellar cascade or something like banishment.

A repeat order would sometimes be counterintuitive, as the enemy could run out of range or the choice could be suboptimal as the enemy gets closer.
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Personally I rather like the RPG "realism" of the game. As a Pretender God I tell my mages what I would like them to cast in combat. Sometimes they do, sometimes they decide that another course is better. Sometimes they are even right.

There is a "slave collar" which can be handy for combat commanders in avoiding panics but it feebleminds mages. To bad we dont have something like that for mages. I guess that mindlessness isnt compatible with strict following of the scripted orders.

Or maybe the scripting could be more strictly followed and even allow for instructions past 5 combat rounds if the pretender himself is present on the battlefield casting a harsh eye on his commanders.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

Planing to have some spell cast after five turns is a sure way to loose the battles. Must battles are decided within three turns. If that SC does nothing for five turns there is no need to kill him. If he casts master enslave or something he will not wait five turns.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Possibly true in end game, when Master Enslave and a few other spells rule the battle field, but not true throughout much of the game.
SCs buff. Reverse communions boost the slaves up to high path levels. Troops get buffed. Troops close into range of each other. Then the actual battle really starts.

That's really the rule for most of the game as far as I've seen.