BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 24th, 2021, 03:36 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default HQ unit for AI run side

How important is the HQ unit for the AI?

If it's destroyed does the overall ability degrade for the AI or is it just another unit lost?
Old February 24th, 2021, 03:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HQ unit for AI run side

Overall morale suffers, but other than that I don't know any other negative side effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old February 24th, 2021, 03:54 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

I believe stuff will also "lose connection" to the command net and become "out of command" - this will affect rallying and calling in artillery etc

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old February 25th, 2021, 03:55 AM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
How important is the HQ unit for the AI?

If it's destroyed does the overall ability degrade for the AI or is it just another unit lost?
You can try this save attached below. It's the tutorial scenario for WinSPMBT. I took the liberty of having the A0 unit for the US side commit suicide on turn 2 so play around with it against the computer and see how it works for you (you may have to click the command button in the preferences because I usually play without the command effects on). Honestly, I don't think there is much effect except for the overall morale issue for your force although I have played scenarios where I've lost my A0 unit because of bad luck/stupid mistakes and actually still did well. See what you come up with.

Felix Nephthys Save No A0 Unit.zip
(just rename the files to fit whatever save slot you want)
Old February 25th, 2021, 04:11 AM

Corporal

I think the main issue to watch for with your A0 units is during a campaign against the AI where the loss of that unit means the termination of that particular campaign. However, according to the manual, during a PBEM campaign this is NOT an issue, the loss of that unit will not stop the campaign.
Old February 25th, 2021, 04:57 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

The HQ is the only none fighting unit in the game it represents your link up the chain of command to units off map. Think of it as the guy in the command tent or the Batman sent forward from it to ensure orders are carried out.
Its loss therefore effects off map unit contact but the major effect is morale plummets because your on your own now the chain of command is gone.

Like all things in this game the AI gets no special treatment kill the HQ as quickly as possible if you find him.
Takes a couple of turns to take full effect but the morale collapse & rally problems are easily noticeable its a big hit.
Its the beginning of the end morale will plummet as now combat is far easier so the remaining forces are just witnessing getting wiped out.
Old February 25th, 2021, 05:41 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
The HQ is the only none fighting unit in the game it represents your link up the chain of command to units off map.
Isn't this true for all x0 units?
Old February 25th, 2021, 06:26 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

No - the A0 is special as outlined above

- It counts way more than 1 element for the "force broken" calculation when in retreat or worse status
- It is the rear comms link to off map units, which means if it is lost or in rout/retreat then off map units are more likely to be unavailable for missions
- It represents you in camaingns other than the PBEM one. Lose it and game over for your LC.
- It is a better OP element than any other regular HQ - so it may be good set up on an overwatching hill in the rear as a "semi FOO". It loses that bonus if not an HQ type unit, so converting it is not advised.

Basically - its not a combat unit, it should "hide with pride". There is no need for the old SP1 thing of converting it into another panzer or whatever, In SP1 you only had 24(?) units to play with in your core so every combat element coonted. In our games the core limit is >100 units. So dont"go Rambo" with the HQ elemet, its silly. If you change it into another panzer - then air strikes will be more likely to kill it for example since its now much more visible and interesting to air units...
Old February 25th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Corporal

I guess for me I've always treated it as just another command unit, albeit the most important one (the morale issue if it's destroyed comes to mind here). As far as off-map units being unavailable more often if the A0 unit is lost, to be honest when it's happened to me I've never really noticed an appreciable increase in that occurring (it's possible I've just been lucky on this issue).

As far as keeping the A0 out of the way, there are times when I like to have that extra rally to use so I tend to be more free with it's use (can't rally by radio so I have to have it within at least 5 hexes of the subordinate unit I might want to rally). This actually doesn't happen often but if I need to I do it. There have been times when I've lost the A0 unit to a stupid mistake, scenario 0001 Organized Chaos 8/39 in WinSPWW2 immediately comes to mind. In that scenario I foolishly lost my A0 unit early on to a Polish sniper but still went on to almost completely destroy the force defending the hill. Just shows that even if you should lose the A0 all is not lost (unless it's a campaign against the AI of course).
Old February 25th, 2021, 08:20 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Whenever I can when I spot enemy A0 (PBEM or AI) I always try to kill it, good things happen for my side. In CG I hide that A0 and guard it with a MG unit or AAA.