.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old September 27th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Private

nullpixels is on a distinguished road
Default andre vs nullpixels

So my first game online was against Andre. I didn't do awful, but he won soundly 2 out of 3.

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon20.gif[/img]Game 1 - Gold Mountain[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon20.gif[/img]
Me: Humans (Turn 2)
Andre: Elves (Turn 1)
He had a runner rush, took one of my towns early, and held the gold mines. I was pwned.
Andre Wins.

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon20.gif[/img]Game 2 - Lazy River[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon20.gif[/img]
Me: Humans (Turn 1)
Andre: Elves (Turn 2)
His early archer/runner attack fizzled and I captured all the human towns during the attack. I ramped up to archangels and that was that.
Nullpixels Wins.

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon20.gif[/img]Game 3 - Crimson Ridge[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon20.gif[/img]
Me: Humans (Turn 1)
Andre: Humans (Turn 2)
After some early propheteering on both sides I launched the first aggression. He was on the defensive most of the game and slowly built a paladin army to eat up my monks. I put too much faith into my archangels and he eventually pressed through to over-run me.
Andre Wins.

Final Score:
[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon09.gif[/img]Andre 2
Nullpixels 1

Damn this game is fun. I'll play you again... when I've had more practice.

Old September 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: andre vs nullpixels

You know, back in the day, I used to be able to floor Andre every game. It wasn't pretty.

But he's been getting better and better lately, and just yesterday finally beat me soundly in a play-by-email game. (We were testing this cool new feature of the upcoming v1.10 patch.)

So gratz Andre. I think you've become one of the best players around! =)

It's sort of embarassing to be beaten at the game I designed. Maybe Andre coded in some cheat commands I didn't know about.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:15 PM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I put too much faith into my archangels...
Not possible - those things are too good to be true.

I always wondered about the runner rush - seems pretty risky but can obviously pay off.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sammas said:
Quote:
I put too much faith into my archangels...
Not possible - those things are too good to be true.

I always wondered about the runner rush - seems pretty risky but can obviously pay off.
Actually, the Runner rush was broken (unbeatable) at one point, but I think it's fairly well balanced now.

As for Archangels, like most top-tier units, they can generally be cost-effectively knocked down by 1st-tier units. =)

The general rule of thumb is that units trump sleightly cheaper units, but 1st-tier units trump top-teir units. Of course there are lots of units with various abilities that override that in specific cases, but in general it tends to be true...

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Corporal

Andre is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Scott. That means a lot coming from the masta! My personal rule has been to never buy a unit that costs more than 4 cities worth of income, unless there's a couple gold mines i'm already on, then it's worth it.

If you're only going to get one kill with it in a turn, why not use 2 cheaper units that can kill just as well for less cost, like the Monk, Paladin combo?

The Runners can move so fast into cities that you can end up stopping the opponent from expanding if you get a nice clump of them at the end of your city-hopping-supply chain.

On Lazy River, you don't have a nice chain of cities to leverage for the "Runner Rush", so it failed horribly against nullpixel's beautiful Paladin offense.
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:09 AM

Private

SargusBane is on a distinguished road

Elves vs human is a fun fight but I have yet to lose when I was human in that matchup. The best map for this battle that favor the elves is crimson ridge and even then I could defeat the the elves very soundly.

The runner's hit points is just a little below the needed value to make them as good as other 1st tier units. However, as I had shown in the past the runner hoard is a very easy tactic to win with. If you like the runner hoard method you will love the sniper leapfrog. Anyways. I will let action speak for me on the battle field!

buhahahahah! >:E