Old February 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Freeze problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac9 View Post
The things you had me try worked! Thank you. Two questions:

1. Does this mean in order for the game to work correctly I must play without sound?

2. Should I download the rest of the updates and try the game or will this fix not have anything to do with updates 3.5 and beyond?

Again thanks for everyones time.
1) If this allows the game to play properly then yes.

Or at least until you manage to fix whatever your media player or driver (sound or video) problem is.

2) of course

Andy
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

When you say you uninstalled all players that did include windows media player. Its easy enough to uninstall. Once you find the problem putting a clean install back should not cause it to reoccur.
Have you tried checking what the files are associated with, click on a sound file & the intro video if its a seperate file & windows should select your media player if still have one. Or can right click & select properties to find program associated with or at least I am set up that way. Have a few aftermarket if that does not work stick file associations in windows help.
Still sounds suspicious to me if movie pops up randomly not at start something is controlling that, try running a decent process monitor & see what changes between version 3 & 3.5. There is a free one I think surprisingly called Process monitor that can be set to record a log has filters etc. Compare find what extra things running & google it.
Also as Andy mentioned I assume you have checked sound video drivers are up to date this often solves problems.
Edit
Also forget whats called but checked your version of directX or whatever its called. If you have installed an old game bad programing means it may have installed an old version.

Last edited by Imp; February 18th, 2010 at 07:58 AM..
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Evan, we established it was a sound problem last December remember ??

Quote:
Good news and bad news. Good news is it worked. The bad news is I have no
sound now.
and later

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:57 PM
Subject: support ticket #3007

Bad news again. I went ahead and updated from the 3.5 to the 4.0 and the
4.5. I got sounds back and everything seemed perfect. I played a full small
mission from a campaign and during the second mission the freeze happened
again.
What all this points to is a sound card problem and or a secondary program running that's using the resources the game wants to use but I'm busy with the MBT patch and I'll leave this for others on the forum to help you

The whole point of turning off all your sounds was to confirm it was sound related but as we see here we thought that once and then you reported the problems resumed

Everyone needs to remember that he's playing V3 with MP3 sounds. It's when it installs 3.5 that puts the WAV sounds in play that the real problems start and it was 3.5 that ended virtually all of our sound problem complaints except for Evan where everything is reversed

Don
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM

General

Quote:
Everyone needs to remember that he's playing V3 with MP3 sounds. It's when it installs 3.5 that puts the WAV sounds in play that the real problems start and it was 3.5 that ended virtually all of our sound problem complaints except for Evan where everything is reversed

On sound try doing the following
Do you have any internet radio players if so remove them. iPod have you done something strange with it anything sound related.
Call up your sound cards program & check all settings probably on the advanced tab is what you want to be looking at. Most likely has a diagnostic section as well no harm in running.

If all that fails try this workaround as assume V3.5 can still play MP3
Install to version 3
Copy sound folder & save it somewhere for the future.
Install V3.5 & replace sound folder with V3s
Future updates do the same the odd unit might be missing sound but most should be there.

Though it seems to me your problem is far more than sound you report video problems only people with Vista have namely a distorted pallette.
The only other thing I can think of is when you run process monitor see if cidaemon.exe is running.
If you do not clean out your computer regulary this can cause overflow issues.
If it is running you do not need it (or really want it) however do not shut it down report back here.
Other than that I am at a loss it needs you to be a bit computer savy & try all things suggested & any permutations you can think of like windowed full screen etc & draw a conclusion on whats wrong.

Last edited by Imp; February 18th, 2010 at 01:11 PM..
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM

General

Thinking about it I am leaning towards another game installing a old version of DirectX check your version number.
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Private

Tac9 is on a distinguished road

I think my version is 9.0c. Does that sound right?
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM

General

That sounds okay then, if you are going to PM me can you please turn them on so I do not waste time replying.
Cant see it doing anything but use Run (or called Command Prompt) its pinned to the right of your start menu or in adminastritive tools. Type chkdsk/f & hit return, may need a reboot to do & takes a while. Defrag if have not done for a while & clean out your computer if you dont have a program download CClean its quick.
Type memory check or test in google & do one microsoft among others have them.
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Private

Tac9 is on a distinguished road

Got it. Sorry about the PM thing Im not sure I know how to turn in on. I'll check the setting under my profile and see if i can get it figured out. Im running chkdsk now. I did recently defrag but I will also download CClean. I'll le you know what happens.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Private

burroughs is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.
Our friend is not the only one who gets nasty freezes. I have both SO MBT 4.5 - CD and SP WWII 4.0 commercial download version. I own two PCs, the old one and the new one with SLI, both operating Win XP. When it comes to the first one there is not a single problem with the exception of the game being a little laggy when it comes to fire exchange or arty bombardment, but in regard to the latter - it's an ordeal. It seems like both games' installations have slowly degraded to a point where it is almost impossible to play them without a freeze that strikes after a couple of minutes each time when You attempt to play. At the beginning there were virtually no freezes - now when it freezes, it freezes for good and nothing but reboot works. Then the freeze is back again in a couple of minutes; if I want to finish my turn, I need to pop in and out of the game to save the progress uninterrupted, but it still manages to catch me first now and again. I have scanned everything, I have a firewall, antivirus software etc. and I am almost 100% sure that there are no unwanted prsence in my PC. I am forced to apologize to my opponents each time and I am moving both games to another PC of mine since I have used up all my wits to figure out what the problem might be but completely in vain. It seems to affect only SP, but sometimes it also freezes when I use the browser and watch some videos.It could also be that some more demanding technically games used to have the same effect - I can remeber that being the case, but I haven't observed anything like that in quite some time, but on the other hand I don't play them anymore.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

When you say the old one is a bit laggy you don't tell us any details about it so how are we to help you with your problem ?.

My computer is over 10 years old running XP but both it and the video card were built for Me, it's a 586 processor with 384 MB of total memory running at 797 mhz and I can run the game, Paint shop pro, Outlook express and internet explorer as well as a text editing program and MOBHack all at the same time and it's not "laggy" as you discribe at all and only get's "laggy" if I try to run MBT and WW2 at the same time . You also don't say what you have the graphics and move delay set to.

You don't tell us any info about the new computer nor do you tell us why if you have noticed the original install has "slowly degraded" why you haven't tried re-installing. We know that frequent use of ctl-alt-delete will cause problems with the game that requires a re-install so it's not a stretch to think if you have had the game frequently freeze up for whatever reason that this might cause problems to. What you discribe is not normal. If it was we'd be flooded with complaints like this

You say you have " scanned everything " but what does that mean ?? That you have scanned for viruses or you have defragged your HD and run scandisk ??

Let's start there. Delete your installation of both games, defrag your HD and re-install the games. Tell us what happens

Don