This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Private

thebigsilly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1.10

Yes, I think I agree in some ways with the criticism of Fighter "Rocket Pods"! Perhaps you could experiment with a much lower ordnance storage for them (say, each pod weapon item contains one or two shots, and ordnance storages must be added for more than that), and see how that balances?

One or two shots (default) would also be more in keeping with the kind of ammo amounts normally seen in sci-fi of this nature, which, in the case of fighters, seem to derive from modern jet combat craft and their Air-to-Air missiles, which function by external hardpoints and so leave relatively little room for "extra shots."

I do not know if this is a function of the mod's AI/strategy settings, but after my ships that are defending a warp point have killed their target (having come through the warp-point), regardless of their levels of supplies, ordnance, or level of damage, they all immediately face away from the warp point and begin flying away from it, towards the "retreat" area of the screen. I have to select them all very fast and tell them to stay put, or else they would be too far spaced away to blast what comes through the warp-point next!
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Private

maccca41 is on a distinguished road

Captain Kwok,
A quick question. Will all the shipsets that are available at the moment work with 1.58 and 1.10 / 1.11 if the AI scripts ae changed to either Defensive, Moderate or Aggressive as per your instructions on your website. I am asking this because a few people on the SEV universe website have reported problems and I am a bit confused.
Many thanks for all the hard work and dedication with this mod.
Thanks in advance.
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Private

Dan_ is on a distinguished road
Default If/When we can expect a BM1.09 - SEV1.58 version?

Howdy, Just wondering if/when we can expect a BM1.09 - SEV1.58 version we can use to continue our pbw game?

A couple or the players got automatically updated by steam and it's been on hold since. If it's going to be a while (or never) we can try going back to the old version. Thanks.
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If/When we can expect a BM1.09 - SEV1.58 versi

I'd like to have a small v1.09 patch around the end of the weekend.
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Sergeant

Romulus68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Captain Kwok said:
I'd like to have a small v1.09 patch around the end of the weekend.
Thank you for the time and help.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arralen said:
  • AI/Autodesign puts "Crew Quarters" and "Live Support" into O, not I, even if there's plenty of room in I left.
  • Colonizer get send and park over suitable worlds forever, if the AI is not allowed to build in that system because of a treaty (maybe hardcoded).
  • Colonizers (AI) should not carry ordnance storage.
  • Sometimes "autodesign" does not work (haven't noted down when it happened exactly, most likely was an "Explorer" design early in the game.
The AI should be smart enough to check for colonizers 'in route' when a new treaty is agreed and re-route anything that will be disallowed when it arrives. Surely this part of the AI is not 'hard' coded!

And actually, colonizers should have ordnance storage. The best early defense a colony can have is a missile-armed weapon platform -- which needs ordnance to operate! So, until the first supply depot is built in the system, where does ordnance come from? It has to already be present. Meaning, the colonizer has to bring it. A really good AI would build the weapon platform at the point of origin and load it into the colonizer but I suppose that's very complicated to work out. Putting a weapon platform as the first thing a new colony builds would be nearly as good, though.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

The problem is that you can't read the orders of a ship, so there's no way to retrieve the id of the planet the ship is heading to.
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Yargh! But the game can show you where the ships are going... A definite omission in the scripting functions. And here I thought SE 5 was finally close to 'done' with this patch!
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Corporal

HercMighty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Balance Mod v1.10 Available!

Quote:
Kamog said:
When you place an emergency propulsion on a ship design, a warning appears that you can only have one emergency energy component on the vehicle, even if it's the only one on the ship.

Can you please look at this? Thanks!
Captain Kwok:

Were you able to look at this? I see the same thing.

Thanks
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Private

Dan_ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Thanks Captain Kwok, making the components smaller like the life support is heaps better. Light organic armor would be good if the effect can be made that small.

I haven't tried the rocket pods, but did notice the afterburners which seemed rather useless for their space and cost. Perhaps they have more of an effect than the description - I didn't try em, or maybe it's just the lvl1 ones.

It seems the facility space is still not being increased for races with 'Advanced Storage Techniques' racial trait. I thought I read that this was fixed in 1.58.

One thing that always annoys me is how you are always forced to use the latest components and hulls. There are several reasons to use the old ones, like the newer ones are more expensive, or larger than you want them to be, or less value/cost like shields. Until SEV has the functionality to select old components and hull, I wonder if it would be worth setting up the balance mod so old components and hulls were always available. I would prefer this, but I don't know about other players or how much work it would be. I've suggested it to Malfador, but it hasn't been done yet that I know of.

How about others people here - would you prefer to have the full list of old components and hulls, or the way it is where you can only use the most recent?