Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mod Conceptual Balance Mod 1.6 - Page 58 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 1.6

Well there is a folder for the graphics, which is just in the mods folder like everything else. The actual code is indeed in the single CBM .dm file. Swan's solution is probably the best, though doing a search just for "heroes" or "hero" might also do it if QM has included headers in the .dm
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Basicly, what im asking is, if i enable the CBcomplete_1.6.dm within Dom3 and my mods folder has the heroes subfolder, which contains only images, no .dm, will i play with the new heroes & images or not ?
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
Basicly, what im asking is, if i enable the CBcomplete_1.6.dm within Dom3 and my mods folder has the heroes subfolder, which contains only images, no .dm, will i play with the new heroes & images or not ?

1) The fact that you can enable the mod in the DOM3 application means that it can see the .dm file in your mods folder, so that is working.

2) The .dm file for CBM references images in a subdirectory from where the .dm file is located, e.g. #spr1 "./Worthy_Heroes/Keymaker.tga" --> looks for an image named "Keymaker.tga" in a subdirectory named "Worthy_Heroes" under you mods directory, which is in turn under your DOM3 application directory.

Assuming that the above are true (including uppercase/lowercase distinction in some systems) and that the user you are running the application as has access to that subdirectory, you should be able to load the image when running the mod.

Note that if you're running Vista/Win7, your application directory may not be where you think it is (but since you're able to enable the mod itself, this does not appear to be the case here.)

BTW, you'll need to start a new game once the mod is enabled to have it take effect. After that, it should automatically load the mod when you start that game.

Last edited by Stavis_L; February 26th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: added need to start new game
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
I hate to say it, but RTFM.

In particular, the CBM .dm file has a credits section at the top which tells you the history of the mod, notably including which mods are incorporated into CBM. Worthy Heroes is one of them. This is basic documentation that should be consulted before asking questions. (Older versions of CBM have a readme file, which unfortunately due to the extensive changes is actually less readable than the short documentation at the top of the .dm, if not vastly more specific about what has been done - bar reading and interpreting the code portions of the .dm file).

You could also do a quick search of the .tga file names from the Worthy Heroes folder over the text of the CBM .dm file to see that they are indeed referenced by units defined in the CBM .dm file.

You could also just assume that because it came bundled with the WH folder and there was no readme telling you otherwise, it was included because anything else would be stupid.

But mostly just read the documentation that came with the mod. Sheesh.

Edit: Why the heck are people asking about a separate Worthy Heroes mod anyway? At this point that's as much of anachronism as asking about the conceptual pretender mod or the troop balance mod. They're all CBM now - there is no longer a WH mod as a separate entity. From the CBM .dm documentation, it looks like WH is a dom2 mod (maybe a dom3 beta mod?)???
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
Well no, to be fair, you had a N2 mage with a Thistle Mace, and now you have an N3 mage with a Thistle Mace (so N4). I agree that a lot of the summons are mediocre and could use tweaking, but none of them are outright useless.
I guess, if you were unlucky and didn't manage to get an N3 Master Shugenja by then(and needed an N4 guy right away?).

I'll bite, though. What are Tatsus actually useful for?
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Dudes seem pretty excited about this unique gem generator thing. Are the generators really just one item per kind? I mean, one clam per game, one blood stone per game, etc.? Cuz, maybe this has been covered already in the million billion pages this thread already has (I did scan back several pages), but it seems like a good middle ground would be to have say eight unique clams, all with the same function, but each with a different identity. Or any finite number of them that'd be small enough to keep the item menu manageable. Heck, they needn't even be all the same. I think it'd be cool to have a different stat boost on each of several fever fetishes, and a little tweak to the flavor text of each one--not so much for strategic purposes as for style. Has this been considered?

If the whole point of making clams etc. is to achieve geometric growth in one's gem income, then this idea wouldn't matter. But certainly there's a point in making blood stones, other than just gem generation. Why not have several unique generators of each type? Hm maybe that change just isn't allowed by the modding system?
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing with clams. They -make- high competition games more based on micro management, WHEN, in fact, they seem to have been designed to keep pearls on certain mages. The three kinds earth, fire, pearls. And the Sea King with his water gems. He is quite good as well.

Thus, hoarding caused a device that should minimize MM to cause MM.

If I understand correctly, you can't change the clam to make it not produce gems. I think you can add boosters, but you can't add gem generation or take gem generation away. I'm not certain about being able to add boosters...
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:15 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananadine View Post
Dudes seem pretty excited about this unique gem generator thing. Are the generators really just one item per kind? I mean, one clam per game, one blood stone per game, etc.? Cuz, maybe this has been covered already in the million billion pages this thread already has (I did scan back several pages), but it seems like a good middle ground would be to have say eight unique clams, all with the same function, but each with a different identity. Or any finite number of them that'd be small enough to keep the item menu manageable. Heck, they needn't even be all the same. I think it'd be cool to have a different stat boost on each of several fever fetishes, and a little tweak to the flavor text of each one--not so much for strategic purposes as for style. Has this been considered?

If the whole point of making clams etc. is to achieve geometric growth in one's gem income, then this idea wouldn't matter. But certainly there's a point in making blood stones, other than just gem generation. Why not have several unique generators of each type? Hm maybe that change just isn't allowed by the modding system?
Exactly.
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Cripes, you can't even make a new thing that's like a clam? Harsh.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:20 AM

BANNED USER

Lets just say the modding tools are extremely limited.