Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 28th, 2021, 06:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: British OOB7 corrections/suggestions (v.6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
Minor things
No $hit really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
95 Typhoon IB - photo 2354 has invasion stripes, while this is pre-6/44 unit, while 731 Typhoon IB is post-6/44 unit and has photo 850 without stripes - they might be swapped for a cake of consistency with icons.
Seriously.........Do you ever think that MAYBE you (and others) are bit too OCD about totally insignificant details and that one day all this endless frigging rivet counter nitpicking will end development once and for all of the game you (and others) profess to actually like but endlessly criticize becasuse there are only two people willing but more important CAPABLE of keeping it going ??

Hmmmm ?

If anyone reads..... "Hmmmm ... I think Dons finally getting really pissed off" into my recent posts well CONGRATULATIONS for figuring it out.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 28th, 2021 at 07:06 PM..
Old May 28th, 2021, 07:24 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Don just ignore all this drivel it’s just useless nitpicking by two folks, every post by these two as soon as I see a gal zillion letters I just scroll by and don’t even bother.
Old May 29th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Seriously.........Do you ever think that MAYBE you (and others) are bit too OCD about totally insignificant details and that one day all this endless frigging rivet counter nitpicking will end development once and for all of the game you (and others) profess to actually like but endlessly criticize becasuse there are only two people willing but more important CAPABLE of keeping it going ??
Don't read it as "criticising". By no means I mean to criticise the games and your effort. I only try to give some hints, how to improve several details, if you'd like to. If not, please, ignore.
Old May 29th, 2021, 08:48 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Don, just ask yourself, 'Does it make a difference in game terms?' If not, toss it into the wpb and go have a pint of bitter.

troopie.
Old May 30th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Troopie

That question, and variations of it, are SOP and in all cases the answer comes back a variation on "not really". There have been very few what I might consider real "game changer" OOB corrections made over the years and I honestly cannot recall the last time I found one I thought would make a real difference to how a game battle would play out.

Without belaboring the point the Typhoon IA "error" is a fair example since we are in that thread. We had it 9/41....it has been 9/41 as far back as I can check which is 2004. The odds someone won or lost a game because it was in with bombs a year early is infinitesimal because even with it moved to a later date there are other aircraft that can deliver the same basic firepower and bomb-load to do the same job as it so for whatever the "average" player is it would change nothing in how his game played out even though by this new information there was an historical error in the game.

I have posted elsewhere that "perfect" OOB's are an unobtainable goal and to even try to make that happen would require someone who really understands how the game is put together and uses all that data for AI and ( most importantly )actually likes to do the work and understand how it all fits together so as to NOT cause knock-off effects and that's a very ( very ) short list. I said back in 2019 when we release SPWW2 V12 that OOB work on winSPWW2 is frozen. Apparently all that did was stimulate even more reports and more "bright ideas" on how the game "should" be changed to make it "better". Right now there are just over 13,000 units in SPWW2 ( 39,468 in MBT ) Each unit has 59 data entry points ( 66 in MBT ). Each unit has a potential to use 4 weapons and each weapon has 13 data points and there are 4,983 of them ( 16,393 in MBT ). Those units are used by 7,082 formations ( 17,936 in MBT ) and each formation has 20 data entry points and each one of those data entry points could contain what someone might claim to be "errors" so the OOB's are an easy target for someone with an axe to grind.

If we did this for another 100 years the chance that no one could find what they consider a flaw in the OOB's is absolute zero and even if all the flaws could indeed be corrected the game would play little different than it does now.

Both SPWW2 and SPMBT are games. They were never intended to be the definitive historical simulation of battles that covers a 95 year time span even though we have expanded and fine turned the OOB's from the original game and from the very start SPww2 deviated from historical reality by allowing Germany and Japan to have armed forces after both ceased to be in reality to allow players to "what if". That was part of the game design process that any "historical purist" would have issues with.

We've been doing this since 1998. Neither Andy nor I ever expected we would still be working on it 23 years years later and we both agree we both probably would have given the whole thing a pass had we known.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2021, 03:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Yep, was 98 or so when a guy from Canada emailed me some SHP files that completely blew me away, they totally changed the game from the lurid green and brown stodgy things SSI were providing. They were in camoflage so the name Camo Workshop came from those initial files of I think, some BTRS... been that long, I can't reccolect precisely what but they were utterly fantastic.

And like Don says, if I had known then that we would still be at it 23 odd years later I too would have run away screaming!

cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 07:45 AM

First Lieutenant

Well I for one want to public thank and praise you both! If it were not for Don and Andy, I probably would have given up on SP way way back in 2003 or 2004. I really really tried to like that other game but something was just off, when I found the DOS versions of this game and MBT I was totally blown away and eventually created my first 20 scenarios way back then at the instance of Ed. I took a break, had a bad divorce (are they ever good, except when you move on, lol) and got back into playing the games happy solo for years and then sometime in 2017 or 2018 I went on design craze that barely has stopped (up to 300+ now, lol) and along the way I have met two of the finest folks in the world.

So I therefore am glad you two have slogged on and unfortunately put up with so much from so few, because I would have never met you or had your friendship and to me that is priceless.

So thank you so very much.
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:47 AM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

The game is great, yes we all want tweaks, but none of us want to see it go away.

For me, this game (both this one and MBT) brings back those hours of fun fighting the green army men vs whatever else I had. It also gives me the chance to try out ideas and enjoy learning about the battles and what all happened. Plus it feeds right into my next three hobbies, history, reading, and model building.

Don and Andy have done an amazing job and here we are in 2021 and the game is still fun and enjoyable. I want to say I will still playing it in 2031.

Keep at it, ignore the crazies, you guys have done more with this than anyone thought possible.

Thank you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karagin For This Useful Post:
Old June 3rd, 2021, 05:23 AM

Private

Charles M is on a distinguished road

I sympathise with people complaining about inaccuracies, but nit-picking can be taken too far. For example, after autumn 1941 most Soviet aircraft, including some Lend-Lease types, did NOT have stars painted on the upper wing surfaces. I don't like this inaccuracy, but can live with it. More objectionable IMHO are those stupid black SS objective markers. What's wrong with just the normal Third Reich flag? If anyone can tell me how to remove these SS markers, I would be most grateful.

As for British OB vehicle usage dates, consult Chapter H notes in the Advanced Squad Leader board wargame, For King and Country. I was one of the researchers on the ASL project, and Bob McNamara went to great lengths to get things right. We used a host of sourcs and resources, including the Tank Museum in the days when queries could be submitted free. Happy to help with any queries. Regards Charles
The Following User Says Thank You to Charles M For This Useful Post:
Old June 3rd, 2021, 07:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Personally I don't mind the SS VH Objective flags, no different really that seeing the Communist Soviet VH Objective flags. Every time someone objects to having SS runes or 3rd Reich swastikas' flags, they never ever complain about the Soviet Communist flags. Both were murderous regimes, but I'd wager that the Communist were more ruthless and murderous and for longer than the Nazi's.

I have played ASL since 1985/6 and despite AH and MMP's best intentions there is a lot of discrepancies in their data, also most of the research was done without the benefit of newer source materials available today.

Case in point Glantz's works were not available to AH back in the day and lot of folks from that era were influenced by the German's biased accounts of World War II.